Ryuichi Kawamura Knives

cnas122

Platinum Member
Well, thought I'd start a Ryu thread, if anything because Enrique requested to see some in his thread. These are the 2 I have. They are some of the smoothest knives I own...BUT....out of every knife of his I have owned (4), all of the spines sit low to the springs. I talked to a couple of purveyors at Blade, and they said the same thing. If it was just 1 or 2 knives that I knew of, I might think it was just flaws. But more than a couple have mentioned this to me. Does anyone else have this experience...is it just one of his hallmarks? I meant to ask him in Atlanta this year but I forgot. Maybe later tonight I'll take some pictures of it.

DSC00900.jpg

remington1306_stag_006_cam.jpg

DSC00746.jpg

DSC00747.jpg

DSC00748.jpg

DSC00749.jpg

DSC01360.jpg

DSC01359.jpg

Last edited:
Campbell, the two blades on the Premium Trapper that I own are also "underbladed" in this fashion. Not sure why he builds 'em that way. I've discussed it with other makers as well.

(Firefox users can right click and select "view image" to see full size)

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

The Blades on this one were the same way... But it's a nice one!
Very nice Stag..

Jason

Attachments

• DSCN1641 (2).jpg
    DSCN1641 (2).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 812
  • DSCN1642.jpg
    DSCN1642.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCN1647.jpg
    DSCN1647.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCN1648.jpg
    DSCN1648.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 147
Nice knives. Do you have any pics of the spine to spring junction?

- Christian

I like the first posted and the wharnie trapper
didn't know the maker, good thread !

I think that those knives would carry very nicely in the pocket, maybe that is why he made the design decision to have the blades carry low?

Elliott - is that a dual bladed lockback? If so, I have never seen one before.

Great idea Campbell! I'm surprised it's taken this long. For me, Ryu is one of the top three slip joint makers. I may have a couple around here somewhere. ;)

Swayback jack
Blade2009032.jpg

Lockback English Jack
Blade2009034.jpg

Blade2009035.jpg

Muskrat
galyean009.jpg

Coffin Jack
IMG_0410.jpg

R423 Congress
P1010702.jpg

Lockback Whittler
P1020186.jpg

Millennium Trapper
P1020192.jpg

TB tribute dogleg trapper
P1020194.jpg

Serpentine Stockman
Pena003.jpg

Doctor - with a seal cap
TimascusGroup013.jpg

Serpentine English Jack - stag is gone, kept the bone
Plaza021.jpg

RyuKWatches006.jpg

English Jack
RyuKWatches008.jpg

Nice knives fella's I do believe,in older Sheffield knives & the like,that spring/blade detail you mention,was one way they were built. It may be his style is of tradition,in that detail,too
-Vince

Dr. Bill - WOW!!!!!!!

I added pics of the blade in my first post

Beautiful knives! I read that he was previously a graphic design artist before becoming a full time knife maker. Ryuichi's artistic ability shows in his knife making.

His website isn't easy to find. I have it bookmarked at home but I thought this would be a good place for a link. http://www008.upp.so-net.ne.jp/ryu-knives/

Dr Bill, I know you must fel overburdened by all of these knives. You can lighten your load by sending me that serpentine stockman immediately!

His website isn't easy to find. I have it bookmarked at home but I thought this would be a good place for a link. http://www008.upp.so-net.ne.jp/ryu-knives/

He's very responsive also. One of the cool things about his site is that he constantly updates the pictures under each pattern with recent knives. For instance, we he brought me that lockback at Blade a couple years ago, I looked at his site a week later and he had posted the knife with his cool graphics. If anyone gets the chance, look through all of the patterns on his page. They are incredible

I love his knives, he's probably my favorite slipjoint maker. I hardly ever get to see his knives, because he sells before the show. The ones I've seen have been outstanding. Very refined. Wonderful finishes.

I just wish I spoke Japanese, so I could visit with him more easily. :)

Those are all gorgeous. Dr. Bill, wow. What a great bunch of knives. The stag and bone he uses is all so killer!

Some great knives Bill. Thanks for letting us have a look.
Jason, that stag is awesome. Thank you too.

Here are a couple from Ryu.
Another Dr. Knife with a sealed cap.
DSCN0956_869.jpg

DSCN0955_868.jpg

A tear drop. My first knife from Ryu.

DSCN0953_866.jpg

DSCN0954_867.jpg

DSCN0952_865.jpg

Gus, I still think that black lip teardrop is the sexiest slipjoint I've ever seen, just DY-NO-MITE!!

Thanks guys, but all the credit goes to Ryu. All I did was order it and wait a little. ;)

Back