S&W Model 629 PC 2 5/8

Have you shot it yet?

It could have been banged to the side like that after production. I'd say you need to shoot it to see if it's off.

They had a problem in the past with barrels being over torqued and installed in with a slight cant to them. You can usually follow the top line of the barrel and eyeball it to the frame to see if that's the case. I thought they had that issue fixed though. I had it happen on a TRR8, very frustrating. If they adjusted the sight like that to compensate for an over torqued barrel it is deplorable and needs to go back.

For the record, the Performance Center does not really do any tuning. They offer churched up models with more milling and features plus drop in performance parts. I'm not saying they aren't worth it, I have a lot of PC pistols in my safe. But they are prone to the same QC issues that come out of any production line.

If you get this fixed and decide to keep it you may want to get the upgraded firing pin from Cylinder and Slide. It's a fraction longer and makes for more reliable ignition. For some reason S&W has been using firing pins on the short side in their pistols and it really only shows up as an issue occasionally in the pistols with lighter triggers. It's about an $18 part IIRC and worth the added peace of mind.

Good luck man, beautiful piece.

All of this. I'd tap the sight back into what looked to be alligned and then shoot it. If it's off, send it back to S&W. Canted barrels have been an issue as of late, and I'm sure they will fix it. Sucks but that's the nature of revolvers these days. You get a hillary hole and canted barrels, or you get a less refined revolver that's heavier than it need be, but can take stupid stout loads but has a sucker trigger.

I’ve got the 5” 627 and a 625 from the Performance Center. Very happy with both.

lP1O7Z6_d.jpg

Back