S110v ukpk won't get scary sharp

Hi Brian maybe I'm using the 50grit diamond beast stone from kme. I normally start with this when putting my first edge on a knife for repro filling purposes, it's worked for everything else tbf as long as I make small progressions atm I'm doing 50,100,140,300,600,1500,9 micron, 6,,4,3,1,.0.5 then 0.1

Hmm, Ok. I must have misunderstood you about the 50 grit. The way I read it, I thought you went from 50 grit *STRAIGHT* to 4 (or 0.5) micron on leather. With nothing in between. Sounds like you are doing progression with a BUNCH of grits along the way. So can you pretty much ignore my last post. You are already doing far more progression than I would so that not the problem.

Brian.

Thanks mate, yay think I may of damaged the edge when iover sharpened in with the worksharp gonna try leaving with a course edge when I have some time to see if that fixes it up

I have a lot of knives in S110v and I never had any real success putting a polished edge on it until I started using the Venev OCB stones in 100% concentration and going up the 1200 OCB stone and then using 20 carat diamond paste I buy directly from the Ukraine.

I find the Venev OCB stones to be the best all round stones for pretty much any kind of steel you want to sharpen with them,they also leave an incredible toothy edge off of the 400 800 and also the 1200 stone just depends which edge you like the best.

If you do look at the Venev stones don't buy the 2000 grit stone they just released it an it's not very good at all.

Hey, '94.
I've put really nice edges on my only S110V knife, using a variety of stones, strops, and compounds. I haven't put a lot of miles on the knife, so I'm by no means an expert. But here's a couple ideas that might be helpful. First, about 200-400 grit is about the coarsest I like to go, unless there is a compelling reason to do so. The grotesque gouges left behind are just too tedious to work out. So if your basic shape is in the ballpark, forget the coarse ones.

Regardless of where I started, if I'm progressing along with the edge and am not achieving the intended results, I look at it closely under magnification. Doing so will surely give you a hint as to where you've gone wrong. Even on a blade that I'm happy with, examination under magnification usually reveals areas where improvement can be made.

wade7575 wade7575 , I’ve been in touch with Michael over in the Ukraine and I’m planning to get some of his pastes. I assume you use the oil based stuff?

also, what micron do you go for/would you recommend? I want mine just for deburring in reality - typically off an 800 JIS- does the 3/2 size sound reasonable?

also I assume the 40g size will last a good number of years with fairly infrequent sharpening?

C Craig James email me at wadenorton2008@yahoo.ca I have a few chart's to help you make your choice's easier,I use the oil base stuff for sure.

I would go with a 3 or 5 micron for your wanting,if you look at the chart's I have and convert J800 to microns it's saying it's 25 micron's,I use anywhere from 5 and lower with good result's,also with paste you don't need to do a lot of pass's.

Michael has 3 different concentrations of diamond paste in the oil base and it's easier for me to email you the chart's I have,you don't have to worry about me sharing your email with anyone either that won't be handed around by me.

Back