S30V/S35VN heat treatment. Who does it the best? Who does it worst?

Design of the knife, blade/edge geometry, ergonomic and balance are all important that can make a huge different even in the exactly same steel/HT.

And finally, when it come to design everything is a TRADE off. A very thin edge will always cut better and longer (in some application) but it wouldn't be as versatile as a thicker one.

Yes, of course. I would have thought that this is common sense, but in today's day and age common sense isn't common at all.

S30V and S35VN are great steels that can really perform IF all things are done properly. In the past I've had a Sebenza 25 that was a pleasure to carry, but the second I used it to cut anything the steel rolled... total horseshit in a knife that costs that much. Needless to say, it didn't last very long in my collection, and I have yet to even consider taking another look at CRK, especially with the issues Mr. Reeve has had on the home front these last few years. I have purchased 3 XM's in the last couple of weeks even though I am unused to the idea (as well as the feeling) of purchasing $400+ knives (though I am sure I'll get used to it eventually), but I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for, and they haven't disappointed me yet.

Now I'm kind of wondering which direction to go in, and it's a really nice feeling to have all the options that we as enthusiasts have out there. Again, I firmly believe that a good HT can and will make a steel great, but I know a phenomenal HT can make a steel stellar, hence why I'm here asking questions.

Thank you for your input!!! Let's keep the discussion going!

- Salty

Let's keep the discussion going!

I'll second that even though I have no real experience with S30V. I have one knife and since it is a coated blade I never use it, safe queen, don't want to scratch it.

S30V has always fascinated me in so much as it was designed as a knife blade steel (?).

So I want to hear more BECAUSE I am coming back around to the older more basic steels.

I have a couple S35V folders; serrated so again I'm in the dark.

I have come soooooo close to buying a Cold Steel Ranch Boss (S35V) but always seem to buy something else. I got off Stockmans and onto a track of buying AND USING single blade trappers . . . similar main blade but doesn't have the other two in the way of the grip.

I'm rambling I know.

What's the consensus on S30V being a better all around pocket knife steel over S90V?
(better = finer polished edge, doesn't chip/loose carbides as much on a microscopic scale, faster to touch up, holds a ~ scrape hair edge better)

Great thread (shqxk).

Needs more damb pictures though; wearing me out Googling . . . what the heck is a
. . . Waki that can chop a 2x4" in single chop

I know at least that these do not suck (roll, chip or go dull if you look at them wrong like my one example of s110v (wrong geometry for that steel in the knife I had but still). I have used all these enough to KNOW that for sure.

Nothing wrong with ZT's Elma on my side
It is actually my second favorite steel after m390

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Same story here, elmax is perfectly fine from zt. Im having way more problem sharpening my s35vn 0450 than my 0566 in elmax. I might just find someone to sharpen my 0450

Heard great things in regards to Elmax, but ZT's have been extremely hit or miss with me. I have a ZT 0562CF in M390 that has impressed me to no end... but of course there is something wrong with the scales. I've also had 3 ZT 0300's. One tough mudder, but only one has had a blade that didn't chip out.

I've felt like picking up a 0566CF in M390, but the Hinderer's have put a real damper on my knife funds for the next quarter year at least.

I've had really good luck with all of the S30V & S35VN I've come across. Granted, I stick with reputable manufacturers. I think that is the key. "Back in the day" that was all that there was. There was no "this super steel vs. that" business. There was "go with this maker/manufacturer... they make great knives."
Using my knives for a variety of tasks, the performance differences have been minute. I have not really sat around and cut up rope or cardboard until the cows come home to test an edge. S30V and S35VN have made their way to my overall favorite blade steels. I have had great results with CRK, Strider, Hinderer and Spyderco. I can confidently say if you stick with these four you will be happy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had really good luck with all of the S30V & S35VN I've come across. Granted, I stick with reputable manufacturers. I think that is the key. "Back in the day" that was all that there was. There was no "this super steel vs. that" business. There was "go with this maker/manufacturer... they make great knives."
Using my knives for a variety of tasks, the performance differences have been minute. I have not really sat around and cut up rope or cardboard until the cows come home to test an edge. S30V and S35VN have made their way to my overall favorite blade steels. I have had great results with CRK, Strider, Hinderer and Spyderco. I can confidently say if you stick with these four you will be happy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well said sir.
Of the four companies you've mentioned, Hinderer is the only one I've no experience with yet. So far I've really got no complaints.

I've heard Strider has a phenomenal HT. Seems to me there lockup issues are prevalent and problematic.

That and I am a combat veteran. I take issue purchasing anything from someone with his past.

Lots of folks have questionable past histories. You either want a damned good knife or you don't. Forget the arguments this starts, unless you want to screw up your own thread.
from a Korean vet; no combat...

Nothing more than your opinion there Sonny.

As a former service member, honor and integrity are important to me, so when someone lies about their service history it kind of rubs me the wrong way. A person's choices in the past are one thing, but the notion that those choices have no relevance in the present is absurd to say the least, and I choose not to deal with them.

Again, my opinion. YMMV.

I heard ZT does a great heat treat for s35vn. But they had problems with Elmax

Please show me any thread that details these problems, or stop spreading a rumor someone made up that continues to be spread to this day.

I understand this was a rumor started by a Troll that keeps spreading. Nothing wrong with ZT's Elmax.

I did have issues sharpening my 0561 that had elmax steel, I couldnt get it sharp. Could have been more of an edge geometry thing than the steel itself, as the knife wasn't a very good slicer. However, I have 2 0801's with elmax and I have 0 issues with the blades at all.

I have a 0562 with the new s35vn batch, and Ive been very impressed so far. ZT always does pretty well with their steels.

c90666f7d57805345da6437ed2ae1c49.jpg

I really like these two. I carry both every day. But out of all the knives I had in s35vn, the strider I recently sold seemed like it was heat treated the best. It sharpened much easier than these, and held its edge longer.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the past is dead. Leave it alone. not relevant to anything.

Well its worth saying if its true, since this is a thread about heat treat. I got the information from BF This is where I get most of my knowledge. I will believe you guys. Thank you for setting this straight for me. I will edit post since there is nothing wrong with ZT's heat treat of Elmax

Please show me any thread that details these problems, or stop spreading a rumor someone made up that continues to be spread to this day.

There is no way I will find the post. I have to trust the words of members sometimes, I chose to listen to the wrong one. Beers on me...

I think I remember not too long ago there being a general attitude of Spyderco's S30V being fairly chippy which folks weren't fond of.

Then the Techno normally available with CTS-XHP, was released in a limited run of S30V, which was apparently by mistake, then S30V suddenly transformed into a supersteel, no longer prone to chipping.

Mix up in heat treatment as well? Hmmm

^ back in the day XHP was the upgrade to S30V as marketed by Spyderco. Supasteel.

Back