Sad to see what SOG has become

never mind....just hate to see how the quality has fallen so much compaired to 20 years ago.

never mind....just hate to see how the quality has fallen so much compaired to 20 years ago.

I don't know what SOG's you own but all of mine are great knives that get used every day in every way and have never failed me. Knives are the same as anything else in life. If you buy a cheap folder such as flash 1 or 2 don't expect the fit and finish of a custom. The architec however is a beautiful work of art! Great fit and finish and great quality materials.

Want a nice knife then pay the money!

And last but not least no one here goes to your house and poops in your living room don't dump on the threads not cool man. Sog has always given me great service and I will continue to cary their knives and suport their business.

(never mind....just hate to see how the quality has fallen so much compaired to 20 years ago.)

While they still make some nice knives, I will stick with the old Seki knives.

As for pooping on the forums, everyone has a different opinion.

Shane

While their fixed blade and upper end folders are decent, I hate their Taiwan lineup (Flash, Aegis, Trident, etc...)

Majority of them have up and down blade play and they are overpriced for what you pay for. Other companies offer a better product for less money.

I really do like SOG's designs but I just with they were executed better.

Everyone is entitled an opinion, however just posting a random unsupported dis on the company in their thread seams rude to me.

Yeah I did not mean to come across as rude. I was reading on several other forums(gun and knife forums) and came across 3 different threads where the owners had a SOG product that failed and I posted the links but decided to take them down. I tried to take down the topic but it would not let me. 10 years ago you never heard a bad thing about SOG and now it's all over the place how bad their products have become.
I guess I'm a little upset to see my favorite knife company lower standards and move some production to China.

(I guess I'm a little upset to see my favorite knife company lower standards and move some production to China.)

Yeah, bringing out a cheaper range in the long run seems to tarnish your brand name. Spyderco had the right idea, cheaper range and a new name (Byrd).

Spyderco has a huge line made over seas such as the tenacious and all the knives in that line are over seas produced in a similar price range.

It is all very well and good to bitch about a company or it's product, but the proper place is with the company itself, not a sponsored forum. Everything that I have bought from SOG has been equal in quality to the big 3 and I have no problem in recommending their products.

As for Chinese production, SOG like many others must remain competitive and that often means outsourceing. I can't name a single major knife producer that doesn't outsource (not counting CRK or Strider).

So, let's keep things positive. There is enough negativity in the world already.

As the owner of many Sog Knives, both old and new. I disagree,

First lets start with the definition of Forum

Definition of FORUM

a : the marketplace or public place of an ancient Roman city forming the center of judicial and public business
b : a public meeting place for open discussion
c : a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas
: a judicial body or assembly : court
a : a public meeting or lecture involving audience discussion

I believe this and any forum is for the discussion of a related subject. I do not see where it all has to be good. It has been my experience that where folks seek to control what is said, and only portray the good. It usually means there are issues that need to be addressed. I think that bares itself out worldwide. I do not think that forums are designed solely to devote praise to it's sponsor. That is an infomercial not a forum.

But I also agree.

First off I think a complaint should be specific.
Not just a shotgun blast of it's all bad.
But rather a specific "First Hand Account" of your problem. Not my cousin Ernie said his was bad.

Handling it through the dealer or company of origin is great, but it serves no purpose to educate customers that will unwittingly follow the same path. And ultimately need the same help.

I am in sales, and to me a problem is nothing more than an opportunity to help someone be happy. I sell construction Equipment, so sometimes I have Million Dollar Problems. Studies have shown that a customer who is helped to a satisfactory resolution of a problem, has a higher likelihood of additional "Loyalty" purchases than someone who never had a problem in the first place. So problems can be a very good thing if handled properly.

I am living proof. I had an issue. Sog and Chris are, at this very moment, working to help me solve it. In a very professional manner. I could not be more pleased with their assistance. So my bad story likely will turn into a great story.

The last piece of the puzzle is to update if your problem has been resolved. So many people log on and complain, get satisfaction and never return to say they are happy because someone stepped up to the plate and took care of them. That leaves the next person only seeing the bad.

Real honest complaints should not worry a good company. Because they should not have that many. If they do, they need to know about them. Ultimately if they have too many it won't matter in the long run anyway.

Its a win/win situation. I firmly believe that everyone at Sog wants to do an excellent job. And we want to purchase their products and be loyal customers. It just takes some fine tuning to make it work for everyone. No one picks up a Violin and sounds good right off the bat. But that doesn't mean you don't keep trying.

Sog built it's reputation on no nonsense knives for no nonsense people. It's up to them to ultimately choose their future direction. It's up to us as their customers to decide if we like that direction. Only time will tell if it was the right one.

It is all very well and good to bitch about a company or it's product, but the proper place is with the company itself, not a sponsored forum. Everything that I have bought from SOG has been equal in quality to the big 3 and I have no problem in recommending their products.

As for Chinese production, SOG like many others must remain competitive and that often means outsourceing. I can't name a single major knife producer that doesn't outsource (not counting CRK or Strider).

So, let's keep things positive. There is enough negativity in the world already.

Emerson, but I don't know if you count them as "major."

I have no complaints with my Tech Bowie and SEAL Team fixed blades but I can tell you there is a noticable difference between these knives and my Midnight Tigershark, other classic Tigersharks, SEAL 2000, and SCUBA/DEMO.

I have quite a few SOGs and for the most part am very pleased with them. Very sharp knives out of the box! Have a mini Vulcan tanto that is like a razor! I think they get a bad rap for the most part. You gotta remember the prices of them. They re not your 2-300 hundred dollar knives! They re an affordable knife that performs well. I would like to see some better handle materials and some steel other than the Aus 8!

I have quite a few SOGs and for the most part am very pleased with them. Very sharp knives out of the box! Have a mini Vulcan tanto that is like a razor! I think they get a bad rap for the most part. You gotta remember the prices of them. They re not your 2-300 hundred dollar knives! They re an affordable knife that performs well. I would like to see some better handle materials and some steel other than the Aus 8!

I agree with the bad rap part for sure. Currently, I have a VG-10, Seki made Visionary II in my pocket, that came amazingly sharp out of the box and is as well made as any other knife that I own, including Benchmade and Spyderco. Others may indeed have grivences, but I am definitely not among them.

Everything that I have bought from SOG has been equal in quality to the big 3 and I have no problem in recommending their products.

Wish I could say the same. Screws falling out of the plastic handle (Mini Trident and Flash). Many other complaints. I worked in manufacturing for years and I wouldn't produce SOG products at their level of quality and reliability. I find most of the flaws in the design.

Love this guy, VG-10 and Seki City made. Great solid knife. I actually like SOG's VG-10 better than Spyderco's
002-27-1.jpg

Love this guy, VG-10 and Seki City made. Great solid knife. I actually like SOG's VG-10 better than Spyderco's
002-27-1.jpg
Awesome. I have the Pentagon Elite I and the Mini Spec Elite. Both flawless, solid and so damn cool. I'm planning to make a video review for the Mini SE . I haven't seen any reviews for it so far. I'll be sure to post a link when I'm done.

sounds good man, I look forward to seeing that. I want to pick up the Spec Elite 2, the big guy.

sounds good man, I look forward to seeing that. I want to pick up the Spec Elite 2, the big guy.

I have my eye on that one too, but I will probably start out with the Spec Elite 1 first. I just love the looks of those knives. :)

Wish I could say the same. Screws falling out of the plastic handle (Mini Trident and Flash). Many other complaints. I worked in manufacturing for years and I wouldn't produce SOG products at their level of quality and reliability. I find most of the flaws in the design.

I am sorry to hear that, Wunderbar. :(

Perhaps it is the case of the higher up the SOG 'food chain' you go, the less problems you run into. In all honesty, I have never owned any of the Flash or Trident series, so I am quite ignorant where they are concerned.

Back