Safety Tip

After reading this thread, I think I know how the legend about "a khukuri has to draw blood before it is resheathed" came about.

In any case, it's a good face-saving legend to remember.

"I meant to do that! Don't you know ... "

Howard Wallace said:
After reading this thread, I think I know how the legend about "a khukuri has to draw blood before it is resheathed" came about.

In any case, it's a good face-saving legend to remember.

"I meant to do that! Don't you know ... "

Now THAT'S funny. :)

Steve

ferguson said:
Or if you're carrying a khukuri in it's scabbard with a bunch of other stuff, and it slides out of the scabbard, don't try to catch it. Just let it fall and jump the hell out of the way.
Steve

And make sure that you don't develop your reflexes to the point that you can snatch a dropped broadhead hunting arrowhead out of the air before you think about that being a VERY bad thing to do.:eek:

tedwca said:
And make sure that you don't develop your reflexes to the point that you can snatch a dropped broadhead hunting arrowhead out of the air before you think about that being a VERY bad thing to do.:eek:

It's worth training your reflexes. When I drop something sharp I jump ... away.

You can practice with a stick or a butter knife, imagine it's sharp, drop it and then see how quick you can get all body parts well away. It seems silly, but a few minutes spent with this silly exercise will pay big dividends in making the proper response instinctive.

Howard Wallace said:

You can practice with a stick or a butter knife, imagine it's sharp, drop it and then see how quick you can get all body parts well away. It seems silly, but a few minutes spent with this silly exercise will pay big dividends in making the proper response instinctive.

I've practiced a variation of this exercise. Whereas Howard practices with a stick or butter knife, I do live practice. Anyone who goes to bars or nightclubs know that it is inevitable that someone will drop a drink near you. I can usually jump away before the drink hits the ground, sparing my shoes and my pants. Occassionally I will get splashed though. I guess I need to go out tonight and work on my reflexes a bit more. :D

Howard Wallace said:

NOW you tell me!!!:D

Back