SAK help! :0

Hey guys! ^_^

I'm trying so hard to pick out the perfect Victorinox Swiss Army Knife for my little sister. It will be her very first SAK and very first knife ever so I can't screw this up! I was REALLY set on the SAK Minichamp until I realized it lacked a toothpick and corkscrew with eyeglasses screwdriver. It would be a PERFECT gift if it also had a magnifying glass, but the most important things are:

Everything the Minichamp has:

1. key ring
  2. tweezers
  3. pressurized ballpoint pen
  4. small blade
  5. blade
  6. orange peeler
  7. scraper
  8. cuticle pusher
  1. bottle opener
  2. wire stripper
  3. Phillips screwdriver 0/1, magnetic
  4. nail file
  5. nail cleaner
  6. screwdriver 2.5 mm
  7. ruler (cm)
  8. ruler (inches)
  9. scissors
+

Toothpick, Corkscrew and small glasses screw driver, and magnifying glass.

I bolded the real needs. Can anyone help me figure out the version I am looking for?

Thanks guys!! :] I hope you all are having a great evening. <3

~
Sparkly

Last edited:
UPDATE:

ON the Swiss Army website I checked the boxes for all the bolded tools and I basically got:

Swiss Champ.

I didn't think she would want something that huge and bulky. Am I seriously down to the SwissChamp? Shoot.

Well I would say that all of these functions are unnecessary and make for a bulky knife.
I would urge you to go for the basic yet very useful Victorinox recruit.
Large blade
Small blade cap lifter / driver
Can opener / driver
Toothpick
Tweezers.
Basic yet essential, but it's also very pocket friendly and only costs $17.

Small Tinker is what I would suggest. Don't make it too thick for her.

Hey 22-rimfire, how are you?

Yeah, I looked at the Tinker but it's missing a few of the big needs. I know she would use the glasses screw driver, bottle opener, corkscrew, pen, toothpick and all of the nail tools (tweezers too) and scissors every single day.

Well I would say that all of these functions are unnecessary and make for a bulky knife.
I would urge you to go for the basic yet very useful Victorinox recruit.
Large blade
Small blade cap lifter / driver
Can opener / driver
Toothpick
Tweezers.
Basic yet essential, but it's also very pocket friendly and only costs $17.
Hey Hickory n Steel! :]

Yeah, I really am on board with a smaller knife. That's what I liked about the Mini Champ, alas, no toothpick, or corkscrew with small screwdriver for her glasses.

Man. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get her a Swiss Champ. I mean, it'll have EVERYTHING she will ever need ever and she will have it forever. It's pretty darn heavy, but I love mine to death. Getting it as my first knife would have been so rad.

I would suggest you look at what is available with the glasses screwdriver and see what pops up for consideration. Then go from there. If nothing appeals to you, look at the nail file models.

The small tinker has two blades, phillips & flat head screw drivers, cap lifter, tweezers, tooth pick and awl. I bought one a couple of months ago. I generally really like the Tinker model and was curious about the small version. It was inexpensive. No scissors or glasses screw driver....

As long as you have something other than a pocket to carry the champ in: handbag, messenger bag, etc. Way too big for practical EDC otherwise.

I like the camper quite a bit. Size is reasonable, and you get your corkscrew to hold the mini eyeglass screwdriver.

Quick edit: Forgot about the Spartan if you decide you can live without the saw :)

Last edit I swear: Look into the Cybertool 29 as well. You get interchangeable bits AND a corkscrew!

The question I would have with the MiniChamp is would she carry it? Purse or handbag I assume..... My wife has a small Leatherman that she likes (pink one) that was out a couple years ago for breast cancer awareness. She likes it. Has a small alox classic too somewhere.

Perhaps a Spartan?

Don't forget the swiss card, they have a few versions that might compliment a smaller knife. I carry one in my shirt pocket, cuz my alox pioneer does not have tweezers, toothpick, etc.

sparkly, thank you thank you (on behalf of many bf members) for switching to black text, instead of the purple :) some of us have sensitive eyes and find the purple a bit difficult to read, esp with non-standard background colours

If I was looking to get so many tools on 1 item I'd have to accept the large size... I'd be tempted to look at leatherman's etc
I think 22-rimfire might have the best pocket carry option with the evolution 14, or evolution s17, some really nice SAKs

Hey guys! ^_^

I'm trying so hard to pick out the perfect Victorinox Swiss Army Knife for my little sister. It will be her very first SAK and very first knife ever so I can't screw this up! I was REALLY set on the SAK Minichamp until I realized it lacked a toothpick and corkscrew with eyeglasses screwdriver. It would be a PERFECT gift if it also had a magnifying glass, but the most important things are:

Everything the Minichamp has:

1. key ring
  2. tweezers
  3. pressurized ballpoint pen
  4. small blade
  5. blade
  6. orange peeler
  7. scraper
  8. cuticle pusher
  1. bottle opener
  2. wire stripper
  3. Phillips screwdriver 0/1, magnetic
  4. nail file
  5. nail cleaner
  6. screwdriver 2.5 mm
  7. ruler (cm)
  8. ruler (inches)
  9. scissors
+

Toothpick, Corkscrew and small glasses screw driver, and magnifying glass.

I bolded the real needs. Can anyone help me figure out the version I am looking for?

Thanks guys!! :] I hope you all are having a great evening. <3

~
Sparkly

That toothpick does nothing for my teeth and have you ever tried to open a wine bottle with a spine mounted corkscrew on a SAK? Some serious force is required. Will your sister even be able to pull out a cork with it?

If you were leaning toward a minichamp I'd go with that. It's a great little knife.

I suspect the only reason for the corkscrew is to house the glasses screw driver. I have opened a wind bottle (cork) with a SAK corkscrew. Frankly, it was not a pleasant experience, but it worked.

Go with a nice small SAK and Leatherman Squirt. I don't get the SAKs with a dozen functions personally. The right tool for the job is a better approach. Victorinox has some nice Special Editions she would probably dig colorwise.

I'm trying so hard to pick out the perfect Victorinox Swiss Army Knife for my little sister. It will be her very first SAK and very first knife ever so I can't screw this up! ...the SAK Minichamp ...lacked a toothpick and corkscrew with eyeglasses screwdriver. It would be a PERFECT gift if it also had a magnifying glass, ...

Can anyone help me figure out the version I am looking for?
~
Sparkly

The mini champ is a neat tool.
If all fails, you could attach upon the split ring a key chain magnifying glass.
If you weren't so set on an SAK I would have suggested the leatherman micra
https://www.leatherman.com/micra-20.html
But I guess every kid sister needs an SAK first ;-)
Good luck with the decision!

Why play around? Just hit the gas and get her this:

MQmMR2D.jpg

Man. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get her a Swiss Champ. I mean, it'll have EVERYTHING she will ever need ever and she will have it forever. It's pretty darn heavy, but I love mine to death. Getting it as my first knife would have been so rad.

If you get her a knife that heavy and bulky odds are she will just leave it at home.

Back