SAK help! :0

Hey guys, good morning!! :)

Thank you SO MUCH for all the wonderful suggestions! ^_^ I ended up going with the Minichamp because @HarglBargl thought it would be an appropriate size and the best of the tool combinations that are available. Thank you all again!

~ Sparkly

PS: I am so sorry about the purple font issue @dirc ! From now on Black font it is! :] ♡

I like the purple font...

By the way Sparkly, the SAK is a very thoughtful birthday gift for your sister. You are also spreading your love and appreciation for knives at the same time. I just hope she appreciates how much thought went into choosing it for her... and of course uses it.

Uncle Ray was always trying new stuff in his garden and I got the benefit of watching it grow. He for example grew celery... I mean, who grows celery in their garden? I grew it also for a while. Just loved experimenting with new things. Now I simply don't have the space to experiment much. But the history is there.

That makes me feel so happy 22-rimfire 22-rimfire , and actually also relieved!! :) I feel like EVERYONE needs/would enjoy a good Victorinox Swiss Army knife, if they got one somehow. ♡ I just really hope she gets in the hang of using it. She really enjoys details like I do, and aesthetics. There is something very special and artistically pleasing about owing an SAK, don't you think? It in your hand, so smooth and bright and useful haha! :] In any case I loved your wonderful story about your dear family. They sound like such awesome humans!! :) Thank you so much for sharing; my day is officially a good one. ^_^ ♡

sparkly, thank you thank you (on behalf of many bf members) for switching to black text, instead of the purple :) some of us have sensitive eyes and find the purple a bit difficult to read, esp with non-standard background colours

I like the purple font...

I am more with @dirc because I use the dark theme and my background is a dark gray so it is tough to read the purple. I can appreciate people using colors but unfortunately it can be an issue if your text ends up on the wrong background. Purple is a great color I love my purple Delica 4 but reading it on this theme not so great.

The eyeglasses screwdriver is not a "big problem".
Victorinox makes one that fits and stores in the corkscrew.
I like the Recruit, Super Tinker, and Huntsman, if it matters.
For the pen, have you considered the "Signature" version of the SD Classic?
It comes with a tweezer, but you can replace it with the Classic size toothpick.
I have a Signature on my keyring.

The Minichamp is an excellent knife.
I have it in both Alox and red cellidor covers but the cellidor gets carried more often cause of tweezers and toothpick.

For a small knife it really is super handy and easy to carry on a key ring.

I'd recommend getting 2, a keychain sak like the vic manager and a midsize sak (maybe spartan) for pocket carry. You should be able to cover all of the tools you're looking for and spread the weight around a bit. You could also pick up a pocket clip to attach to the keyring for a few bucks which makes the heavier ones a little easier to carry.

Last edited:
sparklygalaxy sparklygalaxy - That is a wonderful and thoughtful gift for your sister. I am sure she will appreciate the thought that went into it and the usefulness of a small pocket knife.

I know you've already made a decision so it may be too late, but I would second/third/fourth the recommendations of having 2 SAKs -- something Classic sized on a keychain (to cover tweezers, toothpick, and scissors) and something else with the other features needed to complement it. I have a Classic on my keys and a Farmer in my pocket a lot of the time.... plus the Guardian3 on my belt -- each is used at the jobs they are best for.

Good luck and enjoy.

....I just really hope she gets in the hang of using it. She really enjoys details like I do, and aesthetics. There is something very special and artistically pleasing about owing an SAK, don't you think?
Yeah, SAKs kind of grow on you.... if you think of the cost, you might be inclined to think them to be cheap poorly made knives, but after you use one a while they become part of your regular carry stuff. You depend on it being there when you need it! They always perform. Of course the Mini Champ isn't exactly one of the cheapest SAKs.

I asked your Sister's age because I was thinking perhaps she was like 12 or something and apt to loose it or not be inclined to use a SAK. I hope she treasures the knife.

She's turning 24 and the Minichamp is one of her birthday gifts. :)

If this is going to be a birthday gift, you might as well get it engraved (the scales) with her name + date or whatever. I have seen it done right in front of me in a couple knife stores in Chamonix (France) any time I go there for alpine climbing. You buy the knife and the engraving is free. Besides engraving it, they smear some kind of gold glitter paste on it, let it dry a bit and then wipe the excess. It only stays in the grooves and washes of the smooth flats so it higlights whatever is engraved. Looks great and it is cool to see it done.

They use a dedicated machine where they stack the letters/numbers on one side and then it copies the profile with the engraving bit. Some sort of pantograph machine. But any competent jewler should be able to do it freehand without any problems.

I have seen this done only in the red glossy scales. I bet rubberized scales are not suitable for this process.

Alox series sometimes come with a flat rectangular surface in the scale for this very same purpose (engraving). At least my Farmers do.

Hey guys! ^_^

I'm trying so hard to pick out the perfect Victorinox Swiss Army Knife for my little sister. It will be her very first SAK and very first knife ever so I can't screw this up! I was REALLY set on the SAK Minichamp until I realized it lacked a toothpick and corkscrew with eyeglasses screwdriver. It would be a PERFECT gift if it also had a magnifying glass, but the most important things are:

Everything the Minichamp has:

1. key ring
  2. tweezers
  3. pressurized ballpoint pen
  4. small blade
  5. blade
  6. orange peeler
  7. scraper
  8. cuticle pusher
  1. bottle opener
  2. wire stripper
  3. Phillips screwdriver 0/1, magnetic
  4. nail file
  5. nail cleaner
  6. screwdriver 2.5 mm
  7. ruler (cm)
  8. ruler (inches)
  9. scissors
+

Toothpick, Corkscrew and small glasses screw driver, and magnifying glass.

I bolded the real needs. Can anyone help me figure out the version I am looking for?

Thanks guys!! :] I hope you all are having a great evening. <3

~
Sparkly
Late reply, maybe an Executive?? :)

Back