SAK Outrider/Ruk

Hey Guys....

Thought I'd start a new thread about the Outrider/RUK

Here are a few pics for size comparison...

outruk1.jpg

Outrider on the left, RUK on the right

outruk2.jpg

The next two are with the German SAK

saks.jpg

saks2.jpg

As far as I'm concerned,, I really like the RUK, it has been my EDC SAK for a long time.. It has just been replaced with the Outrider.. An outstanding knife,, slightly thicker, and fills the hand a little better...

As far as SAKS go the Outrider and RUK got it locked down..

BTW.. If anyone is interested I can get my hands on the Outrider at a pretty decent price.. A friend of mine sells them for around $45.00USD, coming from Canada, not the UK....

ttyle

Eric...

I prefer the Rucksack.
It´s not to thick and I use the saw very often.

@Normark
BTW.. At me you would get it cheaper than from your friend.

Hey Piz..

Interesting!!!

Lets play,, Lets Make a Deal..:)

I'll e-mail you..

ttyle

Eric...

The Outrider looks nice, Normark, but I have a couple of questions. Does the Outrider use the same bladelock as the Ruck? And what is that long tool with the odd-looking opening "hook" on the same end as the bottle opener? It almost looks like a really small Philips screwdriver, but I can't really make out if it has a "head" or not. At any rate, it looks like it would make a fine marlinspike for untying knots. That's the best use I've ever put my Philips to, anyway; lots of knots in the sticks, not too many Philips screws. :~}

I just checked out the picture again, and whatever that tool is, it looks like the keyring is attached to it. From one angle, it looks like a lever of some type. Anyway, cool pics of some nice knives. I had a German Army Knife a long time before I could afford a Rucksack. My next SAK purchase, though, is going to be a SwissChamp. Do you make a Kydex rig for the SC? Or would you need one for a "mold"?

Hey V...

Yes the long marlin spike is a phillips driver...

True there aren't many things in the woods with phillips slots,, but with the amount of crap we haul out there there is bound to be something thats going to break down and need a screwdriver for fixing...

Never under estimate the power of a decent screwdriver when you least expect it..:)

20 some years ago my 870 broke down in a duck blind..Wish I had a screw driver then,, but I fixed it with a piece of wire from a fence..

About the Swiss Champ.....

Do I make a carrier for it???

Thats a silly question..:)

Absolutely....

champs.jpg

Maybe Wireedge will speak up and let us know how he likes his:)

Cya,, I'm off to Toronto...

ttyle

Eric...

I'm interested in the Outrider, how much for five of them. I also need sheaths for two CS SRK's and one CS Master Hunter, what is the cost and do you have a picture of them?

Thanks,
Tom

Cool, Normark. True, with all the gear we take into the woods, tools are invaluable. Which is why I like SAK's and a pair of 5 inch vicegrips. But I have very few items that use a Phillips screw. About the only one that comes to mind is the screws that hold the recoil pad on my Savage 24F. Usually they use staight slots on gun parts.

The reason I wondered if you made a rig for the SwissChamp is that it seems like not a lot of people like them. At least most of the guys I've talked to on the 'net think the SC is too bulky.

Right now I have a rig made up that I'm using with my Explorer, and will use when I get my SC as well. I have a plain nylon belt pouch which holds the SAK, a 1/8 ferro rod, a small bundle of nylon twine, a small "button" type container I made myself holding a few hooks and split shot, plus some snare wire, and a really small piece of fatwood for tinder. I also sewed on loops on the side of the sheath for a Brinkman 1 AAA flashlight.

I use this as a neck rig and it works pretty well. It gives me a complete kit, although small, including light. This is about the smallest, complete, survival kit I've ever made. Numberthree has a really neat little mini-kit built around your Kydex rig for a Rucksack, which is what gave me the idea for mine.

Thanks to this thread I just ordered an Outrider. It looks like a great combo of tools for my needs:)

V Shrake, I do have uses for a phillips driver in the bush! The thwarts on my canoe have phillips screws which need to be tightened after rough water.

VS - The tiny phillips works great on the Photon II for battery replacement.

Normark - Does your site list all of the SAK models you can do? I'd like a rig made for my Soldier(s). If you don't have one to work with, I can send you one in tradeoff towards the rig - I think I may have a spare. lol

Mike

I don't want to hijack the intent of this thread, but, I will anyway.

I am interested in who has a GAK made by Victorinox. I recently got a GAK, but it seems to be made by Wenger, or maybe someone else. On one side of the blade it says "Rostfrei" and on the other, it says "Mil-Tec". I can find no other markings on the knife.

The point to all of this is that I love the knife style, but hate whoever made it. The blade seems to dull very quickly and I find it very hard to make it sharp again. My Rucksack is much better made in all aspects, but I still like the size and features of the GAK for some pastimes.

So, did I just get a lemon, or does this one truly suck? If so, where can I get a Victorinox model? Thanks for any assistance.

Dave

PS: to keep with the original intent, you have now made me want an Outrider. My wallet does not thank you.

The last Sportsman's Guide catalog I got had Victorinox GAK's listed, and only about $10.00 or less if I remember correctly. They were used, of course. You might try their web site to see if they have any left. My GAK is Italian made, and takes and holds a great edge. So it would seem that not all subcontractors were made equally. Good luck.

Hey - I like the Outrider too!

Best of all, this is the ONLY time that knives have ever been cheaper in New Zealand than in USA. Victorinoxes just seem cheaper here - the Outrider is normally $NZD70 - which is less than $USD30

Now I don't feel so ripped off :)

Cheers,

V Shrake, thanks for the lead, but unfortunately, the Sportsmans Guide is where I bought the GAK, for about $9 or so. In the ad it listed "made in Switzerland", so I thought I'd take a chance.

If anyone else has a Victorinox GAK or knows where I could get one, please let me know. If they're cheap, I might just get several for presents. Thanks.

Dave

Gee, you mean a catalog company LIED about their wares? I'd heard of Victorinox being the only Swiss company making GAK's, so I figured the ones in the Guide were the real deal. A couple of posts said that they were Vics, too. Maybe they sold all the Vics and then just gave you "whatever". Sorry I wasn't more help.

Hey sgtmike..

sure that sounds like a plan for sure...

I don't have them all listed,,but I will be listing them soon...

Heres what I have....

RUK SAK
Swiss Champ (on loan, so I don't have it all of the time)
Outrider
Camper
Esquire? (I think)
German SAK
Wenger Tool Chest

Can do that any time you are ready Mike,,send'r over..

ttyle

Eric...

V Shrake,
I don't think your question was answered regarding the locking mechanism on the Outrider. According to diletante:

The Outrider locks (which is why I bought it to replace my Huntsman), but it's the side lock and not the liner lock that's on the Nomad, Forester, Trailmaster and Firefighter.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196365

Eric, I really appreciate the comparison pictures. :)

Now does anyone have the Hercules, which adds a pair of pliers to the Outrider, or the Workchamp which adds a file to the Hercules? All these are good features, but at some point the knife may just become to bulky to be used extensively as a knife, or to carry in a pocket. I suppose it depends in part on hand size, but it would be nice to know if anyone else has one of these, that could give an opinion. It would also be nice to know the weights for part of that comparison. The Rucksack weighs 3.7 ounces.

I do prefer the slide lock. It seems fairly effective, much more so than the liner lock on the Pocket Service Tool.

One of the Swiss Tech pliers might be a supplement to a SAK without them, although I like my Leatherman pliers and have generally not used the Swiss Tech pliers.

Thanks for the photos and comparison Eric! I love my Outrider and can't wait to get your neck rig for it.

More on the Outrider's lock: Someone said it had a lug or bar that fit into a recess in the blade. By looking into the blade's recess with the blade open, you can see the bar actually locks the spring down when the blade is open. I don't think you could close the locked blade without damaging the spring, the bar or both.

Oh yea--the laniard ring does not attach to the phillips. It attaches to a hole in a frame extension just like all the other SAKs I've ever owned.

I think the phillips screwdriver will be most useful to me as a marlin spike, but could come in handy in the winter when I pack a white gas stove with at least one Phillips head screw.

Once I get Eric's neck rig, all I'll need for my Outrider is one of the tiny corkscrew screwdrivers.

P.S. Eric, please let me know if you can make a micro rig for the Solo Storm waterproof lighter. If I can get one of those I'll always have my Outrider, ARC AAA LED Keychain Light and a waterproof lighter handy. My sister's already calling it the "Mr T Survival Necklace" ;)

Hey Guys...

Thanks and No prob....

Dante....

The links for the lighter didn't work,,or at least I couldn't find the lighter....
Shoot a pic over to me when you get a min..

Thanks

Eric....

Back