SAK with a better steel

Correct. They see no business model in making SAK’s with a different steel. And that’s their decision. If you don’t like SAK steel, buy not from Victorinox but from other brands that do offer what you want. That ain’t “commy thinking”, it’s the opposite. A free market where buyer and seller can decide what to sell or buy in accordance with their own interest as a company and consumer.
I agree. Both parties have choices. People should have freedom of choice of what they buy. And, companies should also have freedom of choice in what they make. If we make a bad purchase decision, we just buy something else later. If they make a bad product/design/manufacturing decision, the consequences are much greater. My guess is that, currently, it would cost enough extra to create a new manufacturing process to handle Magnacut compared with the current steel that adding Magnacut would not be profitable, or at least not yet. Perhaps one day they can do that. I would like a Magnacut SAK. In the mean time, some time ago, I added an M390 MKM Campo 8 to my SAKs instead. And, I just ordered a black Huntsman as I still like SAKs also. Having choices is great even if it is not quite exactly what we prefer.

I was not talking about Victorinox. SAK knives are not to my leaking and I don't care much what steel they use.
But it's perfectly fine by me if other people like them.
I work with steels for 30 years. Each steel has its soul. I like high carbide HSS steels but also like plain carbon steels. These days I enjoy using my latest buy... Opinel No9 Carbon.

I was not talking about Victorinox. SAK knives are not to my leaking and I don't care much what steel they use.
But it's perfectly fine by me if other people like them.
I work with steels for 30 years. Each steel has its soul. I like high carbide HSS steels but also like plain carbon steels. These days I enjoy using my latest buy... Opinel No9 Carbon.
This makes me think of an Opinel No 9 Magnacut. What an odd beast that would be with the blade alone costing so much more than the (normal) knife itself. I have a couple of Opinel, No 6 and 9, but both in Inox. I thought of carbon, but didn't want to bother with something around food so much. And, now, my carbon BF23 knife has a really wonderful patina. Maybe I should try some Opinel carbon also. But, that's probably a different thread. :)

Maybe I should try some Opinel carbon also.
They are so cheap you don't have to think twice. Besides No9 Carbon I also have Inox No10, 9 and 8.
Just for the record. I read somewhere (can't remember) their carbon blades are somehow soft. I can't say that in my case…My No9 Carbon shows 60.2HRc.

This makes me think of an Opinel No 9 Magnacut. What an odd beast that would be with the blade alone costing so much more than the (normal) knife itself.
I was looking the Opinel production line on Youtube…it's optimized for simple steels they use (XC90 and 12c27) so I can't imagine how would they use more exotic steels without significant cost. The only option would be custom made blade if you can find someone to make it.
On the other hand; Spyderco makes blades from all sorts of steel from simple steel to s110v, Maxamet and similar. I can bet their production lines (if they are smart) are adopted for such of variety of materials and I can also bet they charge much more as they would have to for the same knife made of for example s90v.

Back