SAKs Do you think I can purchase one?

Well, since my mom isn't happy with me getting a knife and my dad says "go buy what you want, just leave me alone" I was wondering if I could buy a SAK legally. Keep in mind that I am 14. Thanks !

Welcome to the forums. It would probably depend on the stores policy. Over the net, they say they won't sell to minors. It's un-enforcable, and since your dad gave you premisson go for it! I'd reccomend getting a 4" bladed one hander (you can carry that thing as long as your not at school in NYC).

But since you can buy anything you want... find the most expensive knife that appeals to you :D

Most states (including NY) the legal age for buying a knife is 18. Even on the internet your Father would have to (legally) buy it for you. I also doubt they just let you use their credit cards for on-line purchases.

On a good note, I'll bet if you get your Dad to take you to a knife store, and you show him what you want, compared to many other knives a SAK would seem non-formitable and a good tool. He'd probably go ahead and let you buy it. (If there are no stores in your area, show him an online store, just be sure to show him the wide selection of available knives.)

Show your parents how responsible you are by knowing and respecting the laws.

Pam

It's NYC, so nothing 4 inches or longer:( I'll try the in-store idea. Another question: how sharp are they? (the cheap ones my friends are playing with are DULL)

There are some stores that will sell to people over 14 such as Shepard Hills in Lebanon MO. Every one on my SAK's have come with a nice sharp edge that's easy to maintain.
Matt

SAKs come razor sharp, find a cheap old knife and practice on an Arkansas Wet stone and you'll be set for life. For under $75 USD and legal in NYC here is what I reccomend:

Any Benchmade Griptillian or Mini-Griptillian, Spyderco Delica, Spyderco Native, Spyderco Endura, Buck 110, Buck 112 (pick up a "one amred bandit" if you want to open em' quick) almost any Victorinox SAK and Leatherman juice.

What is this "one arm" thing you speak of? Someone recommended the SOG Sculptura, too. I'll keep it out of sight (NYPD is after everyone these days)

A Buck 110 is a classic. They are avaiable at Wal-Mart for ~$35. In the same price class are the entry level SAK's. I've carried a "Spartan" Victorinox for several years with very good results in the general utility class of knives. It won't take abuse like a Buck 110 but, is very versatile. As an alternative, the Multi-tools may prove to be a viable option for you.

In the next higher price class at ~$75 you get into the entry level Benchmades and Spyderco's.

At a Sharpmaker 204MF and you would be set.

A One Armed Bandit is pretty much a screw on Thumbstud designed for knives that have nail nicks or something of that nature.

The Victorinox SAKs are very high quality. The Soldier (the actual Swiss Army issue) and Electrician are good alox handled models to start with. If the cellidor (plastic) handles are more your thing, check out the Spartan and Tinker.

Paul

I believe most states will not allow you to buy a knife if you are under 18 years of age.

Originally posted by rev_jch
I believe most states will not allow you to buy a knife if you are under 18 years of age.

Not Texas! I bought a cen3 110 from a local sporting goods store and I'm only 16. God I love this state.:D

500th post!

WTH! You're kidding! When did things degrade this far? :eek: I'm going to be sick. :barf: :grumpy:

Back