SAKs Do you think I can purchase one?

I think everybody should have a SAK, ideally your dad would go with you to a store, get you a SAK, get one for himself and get one for your mother.

Once you have a SAK you can think of other knives, the SAK is more like a multitool, and you may want another knife for your specific life style or needs, Personally, I´ve carried a SAK and a stockman for over 40 years.

Whatever you get, use it responsibly.

SAKS are great I think everyone should get one when theyre 12 yrs old

Great little knife, in no way can they be classed as a weapon and theyre excellent for learning about handling a knife without playing with something that could take your finger off if you slip...

Theyre also amazingly tough and sheeple friendly

Don't take it to school. The school would freak out, kick you out and then send you to prison for 50 years, label you as a sex offender, castrate you, put you on the news, etc.

DOn't "play" with your new knife in public

I would NOT go buy any 4 inch bladed knife.

Buy a smaller SAK and take your Dad with you.

Get a Recruit, Spartan or similar.

Learn to sharpen it and take care of it.

Try not to cut yourself.

DO NOT TAKE IT OUT OF YOUR POCKET IN PUBLIC, unless you are VERY discreet and you actually have to cut something. A young pernon with any "weapon" nowdays feaks people out!

Use it very responsibly and soon your folks wuill most likely let you get any knife you'd like.

HAve fun.

I'm almost positive that you can buy a knife under 18 here.(I have.) So get a friend with a license to take you, or get a taxi. Good luck with that man.
-Kevin

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I'm going to try to obtain it my self, 1st. My dad becomes ticked off when I ask him for favors and yes, he does have a knife background. (his favorite was this one-off that some guy made with a really nice high-speed steel saw blade and a a fiberglass handle)
BTW: Where can I learn to sharpen it? (I have the supplies, but I don't know how to use them)

I forgot to add, there are these punks with really cheap, but huge knives and they normally go around robbing people (some dude younger and smaller attempted to rob me with this huge 5" long POS folder) No, I am not going to pick a fight with them, but if they try to rob me again, should I give in?

All depends on the situation. I can't tell you what to do but I wouldn't want to go up against a guy(Even a smaller one!) who had a 5 inch knife(POS or not...) if I only had a SAK.

If he pulled that on me would I let him get away with it? NO. But thats just me and I own alot more than a SAK...

Just food for thought...
-Kevin

No, no you misunderstood me. I mean in general (with me being unarmed) Any more advice? Thanks!

Well if your unarmed be smart about where you walk. Obviously no alleys or unlit streets or big dark parking lots at night. Are you a fast runner? I'm serious too. A knife isn't a gun. If you can get distance between you and the knife you get to hold onto your money! :) Also get a Surefire flashlight if you have the money. Something like the E2E model has enough light output to temporarily blind a person at night. Flash it in the kids eyes and then make a run for it or clank him over the head.(I'd pick run!).

I'm not really and expert on this tactical stuff...so if you want more info on these kind of things go to the "practical tactical" section of this forum. Or Don Rearic's site has good info.Don's Site.
-Kevin

Well, not to veer too off topic, but I just wanted to add that when the dude armed with the huge knife tried to rob me, it was 5:30PM and infront of a busy shopping mall

here's my .02, go to www.eknifeworks.com and go to the free catalog icon and sign up for one, when it arrives and you make your decision surf the web site and see if theres anything else you want then fill out the order form and go to your courner store and buy a money order for the full amount then send it off. No muss, no fuss dont have to have a credit card dont have someone telling you you cant buy it at a store. Thats how I got my knives when I was younger the only diffrence was I had to call or write to the place.

J-Man, cool your jets. The kid's 14. The last thing he needs is to get nailed with a 3" one-hand opener in NYC. Legality is all about intent, or reasonability. No NYC cop would consider it reasonable to let a 14 y.o. kid have a Delica.

Go the SAK route, and good luck. I had knives when I was 14 in NYC, but it was a different time. Even so, looking back I did some dumb things that could have literally changed the course of my life if I had been caught. Like carrying a balisong and a pseudo-gravity knife (007, for those old enough to remember) to my Catholic high school. Be smart.

Good point RH...

BTW: No legal age limits for knives in Canada, although some stores may have policies.

I think you should go with an SAK as well. At 14 any knife seen as a weapon by the police would probably get your dad called. Then you may not get to carry ANY knife. Look at the Tinker, Recruit, or Compact with red scales. Those knives probably won't get you in trouble if you're responsible with it and don't flash it around. One other option is the Leatherman Micra or Squirt. These are almost always seen as tools.

As far as self defense goes. Don't pull a knife or any other weapon unless there is absolutely no other option, and to be honest that's rarely the case. The best thing to do is leave if possible or get help. (I typically carried a concealed Glock and have walked away from confrontations.) If you're really concerned about self defense, take some martial arts classes. You'll learn basic rules and can never be disarmed. Again, I can't stress enough, getting in any fight with a weapon at your age may well change the course of your life for the worse - think it over very carefully.

I am already taking martial arts classes, so that helps a bit. How can you disarm someone weilding a knife? (instructor told me to kick the knife out, but that seems uncomfortable)

if you are unarmed and you try to fight someone with a knife it's gonna be ugly. using feet if you are good with your feet is better than using your hands/arms but it's more than "uncomfortable", it's downright DIFFICULT :)

gadgetman has good advice read his post...

btw, unless you are taking a martial art that centers on weapons such as kali/escrima/silat,etc most likey what you are learning is BS. Most traditional styles focused on emptyhand and larger weapons and not knife fighting. What happened the last 20 years or so was that suddenly every MA instructor began teaching knife disarms and get this, GUN DISARMS. Take what you are taught with a grain of salt

I was fortunate enough not to ever be in your position, so I don't know if I can give you very good advice. My parents bought me a Boy Scout knife for Christmas when I was eight years old, so I've never had any trouble with them. If your dad won't go with you, I'd say go to your local Wal-Mart or K-Mart and see if they'll sell you one of the SAKs in clamshell packages. Depending on how old you look and how mature you act, this may work and the worst they'll do is refuse to sell you the knife. It's a fairly low-risk proposition. Don't get one of the knock-offs, get a Victorinox or a Wenger, they're both good brands. In my experience, they come fairly sharp, but you should be able to get them sharper with a bit of practice. Check out the sharpening FAQ, it should give you a good start. An SAK is a good one to start with because it uses low alloy steel and is very easy to sharpen, but it will hold an edge much better than a cheap knock-off.

As for how to respond to armed bandits, I'd say obviously attempt to avoid them, which you seem to already be doing, which is good. If you do run into them, I would say try to get away, if that's an option. If your back is to the wall, you have nowhere to run, and you're in genuine fear for your life, anything goes. Do your best to disarm the guy, and if he gets hurt or killed in the process, too bad for him. Your first responsibility in such a confrontation is to make sure you get away in one piece. Don't attack anyone, simply defend yourself. It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six.

Thanks for the wise words! If I do the mail order thing, will I need adult signature when the package comes? (I've signed for medecation, thousand dollar audio equipment, but never a knife)

If you are having this much trouble buying a blade, perhaps you should wait. As with any mail (at least via USPS), how would the delivery man know what it is anyway? I've have done over 60 knife tradea/purchases over the net and I've never had to sign because the package had a knife ;)
Matt

Originally posted by GarageBoy
Well, not to veer too off topic, but I just wanted to add that when the dude armed with the huge knife tried to rob me, it was 5:30PM and infront of a busy shopping mall

Always carry a baseball and glove. That way, no one will think it's weird that you also are carrying a Louisville Slugger. :D

Back