SALE! Twenty Heavy Duty Field Knives (The N.A.S.K), D2 Prototypes

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This will unlock at 3:00 eastern time. Being a new pattern I wanted to give folks a chance to read and understand what is for sale without being in a hurry.

The Heavy Duty Field Knife was designed as a collaboration with Lorien Arnold. It is a well made, very durable, high performance large utility knife. These are setup pieces for the first production run we recently completed machining. They're prototypes in PSF27 D2 at HRC 61-62 with an optimized heat treat with very good edge retention and good edge stability. This pattern will normally be in Delta 3V, but I really like D2 and this knife was small enough to justify the use of a toughened version of D2 called PSF 27. The alloy is D2, but the manufacturing process for the steel reduces the alloy banding and carbide size to a degree the toughness is enhanced significantly making it a good fit for a medium size heavy duty fixed blade like this. If you're looking for something unbreakable wait for the Delta 3V version, but this is a very durable knife with outstanding edge retention and if you're cutting soft abrasive materials like animal hide you're going to like this. And it is less expensive than Delta 3V and this is reflected in the price.

Being a pre-production prototype it is unmarked. If you don't want a "sterile" knife you might prefer a different release.

This pattern is all about heavy duty, hard working, unbreakable, go anywhere and do anything dependability, but we didn't make it ridiculously thick. The primary grind angles are well tuned for cutting performance, it was taken down under .025" before sharpening and it was sharpened 20 degrees per side. This is reasonably thin for a heavy duty knife so it cuts well but is still extremely durable. They're finish hand ground after machining.

The handle is ergonomically designed for a grip at the choil, a forward grip, a three finger grip for use as a small chopper (very effective for its size) and a sideways held pinch grip for certain kinds of detail work such as carving or scraping. It fits an average to relatively large hand. The grip design is well refined and tested for long term comfort and control in extended cutting tasks with minimal fatigue. Unnecessary weight is removed where possible and the tang is internally skeletonized for a slightly forward balance befitting its use in small chopping tasks. The scales are 3D sculpted CNC machined. You can baton with it. You might damage the edge if you set your mind to it, but the knife itself is very durable.

A side effect of this heat treat is a higher percentage of free chromium, so although it is not stainless, it is much better than regular D2.

Specs:
PSF 27 D2, tested 61-62 HRC, .220" thick at ricasso
Total length 11.825"
Blade length 6.5"”
Weight 12.8 oz
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta
Black oxide treated 18-8 stainless steel fasteners

Mashed Cat sheaths are custom made for these knives and are well designed and well made.

Tell me what scale option you choose and I'll build it. There are Twenty knives available in this sale. The knives in the picture are not the knives you will receive. They need scales and sharpened. We'll start shipping immediately but they won't finish shipping until end of next week.

vC2Mv7C.jpg

oQys7VI.jpg

6J2Nkzh.jpg

FbUiMm7.jpg

22CavN6.jpg

8UVtyht.jpg

9sosZrL.jpg

nspM7T0.jpg

gcRM6mZ.jpg

L9S0RUm.jpg

YMjtmd8.jpg

7ZWCQYR.jpg

UlFXhsI.jpg

These are all “field grade”, “as machined” and stonewashed with tool and grind marks and I left the bark on the sides, meaning they weren't ground down or cleaned up but left with the hot rolled finish. That said they turned out really nice and are very clean.

$305 in micarta, black or natural
$305 in micarta, OD green, prototype scales that are cut down a little. They're thinner and would not be ideal for large hands. There are only a few of these.

Shipping in the USA is $10.
Add $15 to substitute a dangler sheath instead of TekLok.

Price includes a very good Mashed Cat sheath with TekLok. This is a medium size knife and you can carry it on your hip without a dangler, but the dropped dangler can be a nice option. It rides pretty high on the hip with a TekLok, though it can be configured for right hand, left hand and horizontal carry. If you're putting it in or on a bag you'll probably want the TekLok, if you're hiking around with it in vertical carry on your hip you might prefer the dangler.

I take paypal, cash, check or MO.

Thanks for looking,
Nathan

We will be starting a pre-order sale for the EDC2 this afternoon.

Last edited:
i'll take two plz - black micarta/TekLok & od green/TekLok, thx!

I would like to dedicate this post as proxy to the first person that would not otherwise have gotten a knife in this sale... whomever was to be #21 or the first non winner. Alternately, to avoid confusion I will simply remove myself from the sale. I believe the end result will be the same. Awesome knife but I want to make sure everyone gets a chance.

Last edited:
I'll take two please, one black one natural, both danglers.

Last edited:
Ill take 2 one in green and one in natural both with danglers

Thanks and i cant believe i made it in time

Okay! I might actually land one here. It depends on how many people ahead of me take two. I am one of several #12s.

If there is still one left when you get to me, I would like black micarta (unbuffed if possible) and a dangler.

Woohoo! I might have won a Carothers sale!

One with OD green, prototype scales, teklock sheath

edit 3:06 - I'm on the bubble. I'm 20 if the adsasad folks ahead of me only claim one...

edit 3:10 - still possible... (I'm holding my breath!)

speed test

edit 4:26 So is this an order? Either way it looks like I've fallen off the list... :-(

edit 5:03 Looks like I made it after all! WooHoo!

Last edited:
I'll take one, green micarta, regular sheath with teklok.

By my count there's 18 claimed before me...so I think I'm in

Email is thehomerjaysimpson at Gmail :)

Last edited:
Deleted, passed on to the next guys.

Edit - on a recount I didn't even have one to pass along.

Last edited:
1 in OD green micarta with tek-lok sheath. If OD green micarta is gone then black micarta please.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I’ll take two HDFK D2 prototypes. One natural micarta, one OD Green.

For OD Green, would like the Tek-Lok sheath.

For Natural Micarta, one Dangler sheath.

I'll take 1 of available...if not congrats to the winners!

Last edited:
IF one is available- Serious doubts..LOL

Last edited:
I would like one please!
Can I do one in black + an extra set of those green proto scales? :)

Back