Salvation & resurrection. The cavalry is here to take cure failures. A MUST read!!

Thanks to the great care and consideration of one of not just the good guys but one of the GREAT good guys in this world we have found a plug for the hole in the dyke of failures and his name is Art Swyhart.

With Art's permission I am posting email I received from him today.

1)--------------------

Uncle Bill,

Have read your Forum post on ?Bite the Bullet.? Don?t despair, I?m confident we can save khuks that have blade problems with hardness and grinding/buffing.

Reminded myself today that putting part of a hot blade into oil quench allows the hot metal above the oil to ignite surface vapors. See attachment.

Spent much of the afternoon experimenting with pouring water on test blades ? not as good as the kamis, but I can get the edge to full hardness, then come back with a small torch to temper areas selectively. Tomorrow I?ll practice some more and harden the edge of the $20 Indian sacrificial ?kukri.?

Will mail you again tomorrow evening with more pix. Some of the pix may be ?staged? because I usually use a torch in dim light to judge color and the camera won?t show much but the torch flame. I?ll ask my wife to take pix of me holding an unlit torch if necessary.

I?ve represented the American Bladesmith Society at knife shows for 11 years so I know about half the Society?s Master Smiths personally and also have a couple friends who are metallurgists. I?m sure that we can come up with the answers for ensuring that HI quality levels remain as high as ever.

As we discussed in yesterday?s phone conversation, I will not charge any labor fees for work done on HI blades. If material costs become an issue, we can work out something ; I?ll provide torch gases, propane for gas forge, and abrasives as needed free of charge.

Again, we can save many of these blades with a little time. Please assure your kamis and your customers that HI is here to stay.

Art Swyhart

=======================================

In keeping with the way my luck has been going lately the second email Art sent giving me permission to post this and which also included his contact information was somehow eaten by AOL.

I've been saying there is no disgrace in getting knocked down but there is in not getting up. I am ready to add an addendum: But if you get knocked down 100 times take the count!

And I'm at about 98.

I'll email Art and ask him to send the second email again and I'll post it here.

Ed: And here it is
==================================
Uncle Bill,

Sure, post the email if you wish. As for the pic, I?m used to the oil flare-ups, but forgot at first that I?d be working with the wood handle and inlays on the khuk. Don?t think the flames would help them.

People can contact me at:

Art Swyhart

509 Main, Box 267

Klickitat WA 98628-0267

(509) 369-3451

swyhart@gorge.net

Anyone who has a problem might want to call or email first so we can discuss possible solutions. That way, there won?t be any surprises if I have to grind out a deep nick and the blade profile is changed a bit ? things like that can be unpleasant shocks if we don?t hash it out up front.

Thanks,

Art

====================================

Bottom line is if you have failures wait and send them to Art for repair to better than new (for sure!!!) condition.

I'm gather up failures I have on hand and will send them to Art for repair and resale next week.

Salvation and resurrection!!!!

Thanks more than you know, Art.

That is great news!!! And what a great,generous offer!

I wish I had the know how to do this the right way and I would love to help do the work.

Thing are already working out!:)

I've seen enough comments posted and written about Art Swyhart over the years to say that he has just lived up to his reputation. I still don't know about "angels", but I've seen enough proof of good guys this weekend to know forever that they are not creatures of myth.

WOW!!!

The White Knight arrives. With unbelievable reinforcements. "What goes 'round comes 'round" is proven true again.

What more can be said. God bless him, if there is any thing I can do? I'll carry a bottle of acetelyne over to him.

I'll say it again and it won't be the last time. Great forumites make a great forum. And if anybody has any doubts about that statement look at the numbers and read the posts. It is my distinct honor and I thank my lucky stars to be associated with men who show such colors as are displayed on this forum. And if you want to be in the physical company of Eagles attend the next HI convention.

How can a guy be grateful, humble and proud all at the same time?

I've met guys like this before. I think God grabs them by the Heart and changes them and us forever. I can still only go, "ahhhh."

munk

Great news! This is definitely the best forum with the best people in the world ;)

Ryan

That's great news and I'm glad that's worked out!!!!:)
Regretfully I'm not familar with Art like some of the other guys, but I do know Art's one of the great guys as you say Bro.

But how does this help get the cash raised to move BirGhorka and get the kamis and their families out of danger?

Besides what are you gonna do about all these forumites clamboring and crying for roughly finished quality H.I.Khukuris
now?:p :D
Are you gonna give us what we want or do we have to come to Reno and talk to you severly around the head and shoulders?;)

Pala and I are both old relics and in a sense that's good because we think alike on many things which were more popular when we were kids growing up and looking for a value system on which to base our lives and some of it went like this.

In doing business

Bottom line is first rule

What goes around comes around -- karma works.

Second rule is golden -- treat customers like you want to be treated.

Third rule is go the extra mile -- even when you know the customer is wrong beyond the shadow of a doubt give him the shadow.

Rule four -- a happy customer is a repeat customer -- give repeat customers priority.

Offer the best quality at the best price.

Kick off for going back to the top is the customer is always right.

I'll order some BirGorhka village models. My best bet is to tell them to make khukuris just like they would back in the village for their neighbors.

Stay tuned.

And I'm going to thank Art again and it won't be the last time.

And, I'll also thank everybody for such kind consideration and strong support. Great guys.......ad infinitum

Uncle Bill, I don't know what I can do to help you but anything you think that I might be able to do for HI and all of the hard workers in Nepal please let me know. I certainly will try my D___dest to do whatever you need.

Jerry L. Peasley Semper Fi !!!
USMC Retired
101 Pine Valley Loop

Smithville, TX 78957-5274
(512) 360-4536

And another old Marine shows his colors.

Semper Fi!

We'll wing it and see what happens. It's all karma.

Uncle,

I just about posted a long response over on the other thread, then thought better of it. Now I just want to boil it down to the basics. ...

All of this support, concern, and interest in the well being of HI is simply a by-product of your, Pala's and all the kami's hard work. Your rules above are what makes this whole family breath. It is a business. ... officially. ... but it has trancended that many years ago into an international community that I've never seen the likes of in my lifetime.

I think I can safely say that we are here, and will do everything within our individual capabilities, to help out you, Pala and BigGorkha. It won't be charity either. ... charity is a handout from a stranger (for the most part). ... it will be a contribution from a family member who is concerned about the success and well-being of fellow family members in time of need. Be it buying village khuks (something I've wanted to do for a long time), just paying regular prices for the normal excellent khuks that come out of BigGorkha, or (if it comes to it), finding a way to move our family out of harm's way.

It is karma. ... you are getting back what you put out over the years. ...

I don't know if ANY of that made sense or not, but it is how I feel at the moment. ... it is pretty late. I'm off to bed. ... :).

Alan

If you have a fight with a wild animal on its own, you might kill it but if you have a fight with its whole pack you dont stand a chance !!!!

All I can say is WOW! That is an incredibly generous and amazing offer that Art has made:) Hopefully his services won't be needed very much from here on out.

Alan, you said exactly what I wanted to, but better than I would have:)

It is karma. ... you are getting back what you put out over the years

Damn straight. And we owe it to our own Karma to try our damndest to help a friend, and the kamis and their families as best we can.

Villagers HO!!! :)

Back