Samurai Sword Help Please

Thank you very much for clearing that up. Here is the scabbard of the gunsui sword.

Attachments

• CIMG0004 (15).JPG
    CIMG0004 (15).JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 9
  • CIMG0003 (6).JPG
    CIMG0003 (6).JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 9
  • CIMG0005 (5).JPG
    CIMG0005 (5).JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 9
  • CIMG0006 (12).JPG
    CIMG0006 (12).JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 10
  • CIMG0007 (6).JPG
    CIMG0007 (6).JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 10
  • CIMG0003 (6).JPG
    CIMG0003 (6).JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 10
“FIRST: FORGET EVERYTHING YOU READ ABOVE !! NEARLY EVERY WORD IS MISINFORMATION AND COMPLETE NONSENSE !!!!”

Executed with arrogance and disrespect. No B.S. or misinformation was provided… You added a few things, any minor mistakes I made were clearly corrected.

Last edited:
“No Bo-hi” Bo-hi is the grind ridge seen the full length of a sword. I’m not sure why you’ve said there is none..

As far as import export, In Japan if you wish to import hunting rifles, air guns, and swords, you need to obtain a possession permission from the Prefectural Public Safety Commission. Possessing weapons is fundamentally prohibited under the Firearms and Swords Control Act any blade over 14cm is confiscated and destroyed without the proper paperwork, export same, proper paperwork.

Only traditionally made Nihonto can be licensed, i.e. swords made in Japan from Tamahagane 玉鋼 (and Shinto swords that are inscribed "Motte Namban-Tesu 以南蠻鐵" ["made using steel from the southern barbarians"]). This means in effect that it has to be either an antique, or made by a contemporary, licensed smith. Mass produced WWII swords (so called Showato昭和刀) and foreign made swords are not eligible for Torokusho.

Tomahagne, yes manufacturing did take up again after China & US left Japan, but that’s not about his sword… Mid 1800’s Emperor Takamori orders Samurai to be disbanded and all sword production to cease. 1937 China’s turn, 1945 US & China confiscate and destroy swords.

Contemporary smiths have to go through an apprenticeship of at least five years and - after they have proven their ability to forge a sword before a panel of judges consisting of senior smiths - and become certified by the Cultural Agency (Bunka-cho 文化庁).

I’m sure you’re additional information was welcomed, the blatant disrespect however was not.

Last edited:
I won't be drawn into an argument. I will only say that I have zero tolerance for misinformation, such as:
“No Bo-hi” Bo-hi is the grind ridge seen the full length of a sword. I’m not sure why you’ve said there is none..

Because there is no bo-hi. The "grind line or bo-hi" as you call it is the Shinogi. It is the ridge line seen on blades like the shinogi-zukuri.
Bo-hi is a groove cut into the blade.
Read a book.

Okay you got one. Bo-hi is the bloodline or fuller, still, I’m not a kid, I’m a 50 year old man, I’ve studied swords and smiths and smithing for 22 years now, I won’t tolerate disrespect “read a book” I make a mistake and you insult me, how very mature of you.

Could have been polite and said “hey J, I think you’re confusing Bo-hi with shinogi… The shinogi usually refers to the ridge line at the thickest point of the blade, and the side away from the edge is called “shinogi-ji” and the side toward the edge is called “hira-ji”.

Age is my problem, I’m not sure what yours is.

"Okay you got one"
One? You need look again, almost everything you wrote is wrong.

"Age is my problem, I’m not sure what yours is."
My problem. or more accurately a pet peeve, as previously disclosed is MISINFORMATION ! Age is no excuse.

When I see someone like you providing so much misinformation on a public forum where the uninitiated may read and take this misinformation as fact, I will confront the provider and set the record straight.
All I can say if I have offended your delicate sensibilities by being blunt and to the point when correcting your mistakes is, get over it.
I don't have time to tip toe around your feelings.

My only concern is that the public is provided true and factual information.

Are you bashing on me again, did I insult you even once? Nothing I said was misinformation or B.S.

I corrected myself and gave you your one correction, I’m not giving you anything else…

Phew! Very glad NihontoEd NihontoEd came in and said what he said. As I read down this thread I was getting more and more frustrated and puzzled.
There is no reason for so much misinformation to be tolerated. Just bizarre. Like Ed, I don't hold back when it comes to stopping a flood of nonsense by being blunt and to the point.
As he said, you can all disregard most of what you read here, except for what he wrote. Really..no disrespect intended to anyone, but we need to be careful what we put out there when it comes to absolute statements. Guys like Ed have earned this right through decades of study into Nihonto.
Anyways, a non-traditionally made WW2 sword. The "patterns" in the steel are not what you usually see in Nihonto and are created by this hybrid manufacture method.
Btw, when it comes to books...like myself, I suspect Ed's library on Japanese swords numbers more than 100 books.

Last edited:
Back