Recommendation? Saya for wakizashi

Wow Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith thanks for all that info! I have this image in my head of a saya with ironwood on the outside and soft wood on the inside, but if no one is willing to do it then I'll just have to make a simple saya according to your instructions.

Such a saya would be very thick and heavy. A guy with a CNC mill might be able to do that, but the soft wood would have to be cut so it was about 2mm thick and then inlayed into the oversize channels cut in the hard wood. Best to stick with one layer of wood.

Such a saya would be very thick and heavy. A guy with a CNC mill might be able to do that, but the soft wood would have to be cut so it was about 2mm thick and then inlayed into the oversize channels cut in the hard wood. Best to stick with one layer of wood.
I have seen authentic sayas that have two layers of wood, I think it's called irekozaya.

I have seen that on kitchen knife saya, but thought it was more like a thin veneer on the outside. The ones I saw were not rounded, but flat sided and even thickness.

My memory is not good. I had two sayas made about 10 or 15 years ago for modern wakazashis. I think the guy was Michael Vingadono, Pasadena, Ca. Don't know if he is still alive.

Back