Scale ID

Yeah, the bottom one is from AZCK.

The top is a BAIII I randomly picked up a few months ago. Tried to clean up the scales to bring out more color but that’s the best I could do.

Are you the one that snagged that AD from AZCK? If so, good score brother:thumbsup: seemed like a pretty good price for a satin AD, especially with a rarer handle. I check them every day close to the drop time. There were I think 3 blades that dropped with that handle on Thursday. I was wondering what it was too.

BeastClaw BeastClaw ,
I'm virtually certain the top knife in your first post has a special linen micarta that was used on the Desert ARKs and Desert Satin Jacks; these knives were very limited in number, and Jerry simply referred to the micarta as "dual-colored". In December I sold a Satin Jack CG that had this same micarta – I would call it brown & black linen micarta (the fibers look like light tan, interspersed with brown and black). This is very unusual micarta, much rarer than snakeskin or tigerhide. Congrats on a cool knife! :cool:

Below is a photo of the SJ CG I sold.
SJ-l.JPG

Are you the one that snagged that AD from AZCK? If so, good score brother:thumbsup: seemed like a pretty good price for a satin AD, especially with a rarer handle. I check them every day close to the drop time. There were I think 3 blades that dropped with that handle on Thursday. I was wondering what it was too.

Unfortunately, I was not the one who snagged it. Just thought it looked cool and wanted to know what it was.

BeastClaw BeastClaw ,
I'm virtually certain the top knife in your first post has a special linen micarta that was used on the Desert ARKs and Desert Satin Jacks; these knives were very limited in number, and Jerry simply referred to the micarta as "dual-colored". In December I sold a Satin Jack CG that had this same micarta – I would call it brown & black linen micarta (the fibers look like light tan, interspersed with brown and black). This is very unusual micarta, much rarer than snakeskin or tigerhide. Congrats on a cool knife! :cool:

View attachment 1123312

That’s a sweet SJ, I remember seeing that for sale. Maybe after I clean up the BAIII a little it’ll look like that.

Unfortunately, I was not the one who snagged it. Just thought it looked cool and wanted to know what it was.

That’s a sweet SJ, I remember seeing that for sale. Maybe after I clean up the BAIII a little it’ll look like that.

Yeah, I was thinking about it... and then when I went to look again it was gone.:oops:

Maybe after I clean up the BAIII a little it’ll look like that.
Try soaking the handle in warm water with Dawn dish soap in it, followed by some gentle scrubbing with a soft brush (a soft toothbrush works well). Dawn is a great degreaser.

BeastClaw BeastClaw ,

View attachment 1123312
Green (or Jungle) snakeskin, my fav :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Don't forget that some black canvas & linen back in the day had a greenish hue to it. ;)
This handle's totally tricky as is, but I notice that up near the ricasso, the color is more black, where hands probably haven't touched it as much as lower down the handle.
Me? I'd wash that handle to see..I'd have to know if I was looking @ green linen or black :D:thumbsup:
That it did! I dont remember the option of Black Linen on the BA3 when it was offered, but I've slept since then. :)
If it is indeed that older green linen its about as uncommon as snake skin. When the lighter type came out everyone went on shopping sprees for the older ones.
Come to think of it, the SAR squatch had an option of black linen scales, that particular one was rather black with very few with a green tint, but others had a definite green tint.
Either way, well found!!

BeastClaw BeastClaw ,

View attachment 1123312

gk4ever2 nailed the color I think. Here are a couple pics after a good washing. Thank you everyone for your help.32854078567_23264643e5_z.jpg 46882502225_3302f28dfa_z.jpg

I like diluted simple green and S100 total citrous wash.
This S100 stuck out to me and I wonder if it's the same thing I'm aware of - I use a product by this name that's marketed as a motorcycle cleaning product. It's meant for the cylinder jugs to clean up the area in the cooling fins and has a special process of warming up the bike, spraying it on, allowing it to soak, then rinsing it off after the jugs have cooled down. I can't say I've noticed any "citrus" about it so this really piqued my interest~ I know it's pricey stuff but then some fall for any kind of marketing hype o_O

This S100 stuck out to me and I wonder if it's the same thing I'm aware of - I use a product by this name that's marketed as a motorcycle cleaning product. It's meant for the cylinder jugs to clean up the area in the cooling fins and has a special process of warming up the bike, spraying it on, allowing it to soak, then rinsing it off after the jugs have cooled down. I can't say I've noticed any "citrus" about it so this really piqued my interest~ I know it's pricey stuff but then some fall for any kind of marketing hype o_O

Yes/No :) My bad I was posting quickly. I should have said P21S total auto wash. Although it’s been awhile since I’ve used the s100, I believe it’s similar. S100 is the motorcycle line, while P21S is automotive.
The S100 is a stronger product than the P21S total auto wash. I use the P21S line of products a lot. I don’t have a bike anymore more, so S100 isn’t a garage staple anymore. I’m a tad border line crazy when it comes to detail products lol.

Yes/No :) My bad I was posting quickly. I should have said P21S total auto wash. Although it’s been awhile since I’ve used the s100, I believe it’s similar. S100 is the motorcycle line, while P21S is automotive.
The S100 is a stronger product than the P21S total auto wash. I use the P21S line of products a lot. I don’t have a bike anymore more, so S100 isn’t a garage staple anymore. I’m a tad border line crazy when it comes to detail products lol.
Koolio info! Yeah, it's great for dissolving bug guts jammed in the fins without having to use a toothbrush. Been using the S100 cleaning system at least 10 years, good products :thumbsup: Makes sense it would work for these handle materials.

Back