Schrade 152OT Sharpfinger

Another Ducks Unlimited Chapter special order in the fancy laser engraved oak box. This one for the Michigan Grand Traverse Chapter, only 35 pieces of this issue. I shall assume that the "2007" notation is the chapter number. It would not be a year considering that the company closed in 2004, and the blades have the earlier plain grind, not even the later hollow grind.

Michigan-DU-11579354853.jpg

This is the Kansas issue:

Kansas-DU-11579357354.jpg

And the Wisconsin issue.

Wisconson-DU-21579357446.jpg

Are there more? So far I haven't found a production date for this series. All the knives are the same with same etches, just the display boxes laser engraving changed.

Another issue of this series surfaced. As with the previous three issues (Michigan, Kansas, Wisconsin), the knife of the Minnesota issue is the same with changes to the inleted box art inside and out being the only differences.

So as of now, we have four identified issues of varying quantities, unserialized.
Minnesota - 300 pcs,
Wisconsin - 200 pcs.
Kansas - 75 pcs.
Michigan - 35 pcs.

Are there more?

Last edited:
One of my main reasons (excuses) for acquiring these knives is to attempt to document their production dates, quantities and number of issues involved. The knives themselves don't offer many clues being identical with no dating information. However I notice they used the 502SC stamped plain ground blades. Those were made 1993 - 2001. Prior to 1993 the stamp was SC502!

I can't say when the duck head logo on the etch came into use, so that isn't much help. With a total production of 610 pieces (so far), it isn't unreasonable that earlier finished flat ground blades were remaindered for these issues after the July 2001 change to hollow grind.

As to the lasered, inletted hinge top box, lasering began in the mid to late 1980's with the Federal Duck Stamp issues as far as I can tell. However the first hinge top with interior inletting, felt only in the knife inlet (eliminated the flocked molded poly platform tray), was the 1992 Sears Craftsman 65th Anniversary issue (A Camillus lockback). And then the much larger 1996 Wildlife For Tomorrow set.

Unfortunately none of the issues so far included any originating papers and no previous owners have come forward with details of their purchases.

Here is an example which has been appearing recently. It is obviously a reject/set up piece for blade etches. But the seller has mismatched it with a later stock box, papers and sheath etc. And priced it accordingly. One can make out at least two different DU etches besides the mess overspill of etchant solution.
These knives are otherwise identical to the state chapter issue knives above, smooth black delrin handles with no shields, no serials, same tang stamps.

Last edited:
I have a Schrade New York USA sharpfinger stag handle , that is what it says on the blade , is it rare ,

This exact thread contains all manner of great info. Codger is the Sharp Finger guru, among other things. Read this previous post from me and the next few after it. I think that's the knife you are referring to. Welcome to Schrade-ville! Read and all will be revealed.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/schrade-152ot-sharpfinger.803947/post-20063961

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/schrade-152ot-sharpfinger.803947/post-20064376

From my research manuscript notes:

In 1995 SMKW ordered a series of burnt stag handled stainless knives with nostalgia marking, New York Knife Co. Walden. Schrade made 4 patterns of these stag handled NYK knives for SMKW in 1995. NYK8s, NYK34S, NYK77S and NYK94S 1500 each delivered 500 per month Jul – September along with a matching Sharpfinger, NYK152S. The series used a modified Empire shield. The NYK152S was still offered in the July 1997 catalog which stated 500 pieces made.

I have no way of being certain, but I get the impression that there was a high number of rejects n this issue due to the variable natural handle materials. Many I have seen were mismatched or poorly textured/colored. Herman said that he didn't have anything to do with this production. At any rate, there may have been a remainder of rejects and overstock in inventory at the factory auction.

To paraphrase, the knife in question is a NYK152S and "500 pieces made". That's exactly how rare it is. About 10 per US State.

How much is it worth? https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/what-is-my-knife-worth.878147/

thank you , for the information , Maybe I will put it up for auction and see where it goes, with a reserve price so I don't sell to cheap

Please let me no if you have a price you want or i can bid on it , thanks clay, the one i have is different than yours , it's not a SMK,, min e says New York USA below it , real stag, If i get a camera I will post it ,

Please let me no if you have a price you want or i can bid on it , thanks clay, the one i have is different than yours , it's not a SMK,, min e says New York USA below it , real stag, If i get a camera I will post it ,
We can't buy or sell or link to live our own live auctions here in this subforum.

That's correct. None of them had the Smoky Mountains Knife Works stamp. All were stamped with the nostalgia mark which they, SMKW, owned.

Last edited:
Here is a used Sharpfinger recently seen but not acquired. A SFO for MAC Tools. No associated packaging or papers so date is not certain. Pre- July 2001, likely post 1988. A simple "MAC TOOLS" text stamped shield and a blade etch with their triangular "MAC" logo.

Last edited:
1981 SC502, Ram by Giorgianni. There were to be 3,000 pieces made and sold serialized in the black gift boxes. It has taken a while for me to find a complete example of this issue with all the packaging and in unused condition at what I consider a reasonable price.

Last edited:
An uncommon SFO for Ducks Unlimited Canada. For several years in the late '80's through mid 1990's, CDU ordered special hallmarked knives each year. In 1993 it was the Sharpfinger pattern.

1993 - 152DU for DU Canada, golden fibron handle, coined DU shield, Hallmark Etch blade on pile side, Ducks Unlimited blade etch, Duck head logo branded sheath, 550 pcs.

Revisiting this Canada Ducks Unlimited issue from 1993. I've only ever seen two of these in all the years I have been looking at Sharpfingers and this is the second one.

Neither of these came with associated packaging or brochures so no help there. Now to find the other 548!

Last edited:
Revisiting this Canada Ducks Unlimited issue from 1993. I've only ever seen two of these in all the years I have been looking at Sharpfingers and this is the second one.

Neither of these came with associated packaging or brochures so no help there. Now to find the other 548!
This one was bought online as a "Hail Mary" buy with the photos you see above. Imagine my surprise when it arrived and was such a good specimen that it could have been a photo sample (was not). Sometimes a gamble pays off!

This one was bought online as a "Hail Mary" buy with the photos you see above. Imagine my surprise when it arrived and was such a good specimen that it could have been a photo sample (was not). Sometimes a gamble pays off!

I hear that! Those unexpected finds are a fun part of collecting. I'd been watching this knife too. I was drawn to the hallmark because it is quite unusual on a Sharp Finger and because I own the factory "G" hallmark stamp from 1991. If it had been a "G" on the knife I likely would have tried to intercept your Hail Mary. Congrats on your latest!

Here is a used Sharpfinger recently seen but not acquired. A SFO for MAC Tools. No associated packaging or papers so date is not certain. Pre- July 2001, likely post 1988. A simple "MAC TOOLS" text stamped shield and a blade etch with their triangular "MAC" logo.

I just found another example with a better remaining etch, though very weak still. But still with no packaging or other indication of dates.

Last edited:
I hear that! Those unexpected finds are a fun part of collecting. I'd been watching this knife too. I was drawn to the hallmark because it is quite unusual on a Sharp Finger and because I own the factory "G" hallmark stamp from 1991. If it had been a "G" on the knife I likely would have tried to intercept your Hail Mary. Congrats on your latest!
Another unexpected find. This one is on it's way to me from generous collector friends. 1995 SFO issue for the New Jersey Department of Fish, Game and Wildlife. 500 ordered serialized with logo branded sheath. It is one of the very few issues of the Sharpfinger to use the green Delrin handles, brass shield and rivets, and I have only seen one or two others. They had weak etches but this one, judging only by photos so far, has no etch. It is serial number #121.

Last edited:
Back