Schrade Cut Co/Walden/Imperial/Camillus with Military Applications...

I didn't serve in the military, so I haven't had much exposure to military weapons. I have fired a M14 that a friend had that was just given to him by the National Guard to play with. So we did, using the ammo they gave him. I use to own a M1 Carbine. Kind of a pipsqueak but really accurate and fun out to 200 yards. The original ranch rifle/truck gun. Darned expensive to shoot though, unless you cast bullets for it, reload and can relocate all your spent brass. I always thought it would be nice to have a Garand and I'm a big .30-06 fan. Never did though. But that Schrade machine gun, boy, that'll burn the house down! :rolleyes:

Getting back to the topic, I finally found one of the web pages that talks about the demo knife pin punch. Shazam! It was bookmarked in my favorites list. Here is a quote from the page and a link to the forum discussion for further comments on the demo knife.

Another feature on the knives made between 1944 and 1972 is a serrated stud projecting from the side of the screwdriver/cap lifter blade.
For years nobody, including most of the manufactures, knew exactly what it was for.

Finally, some obscure WWII document was found in the Camillus factory archives stating the stud was
”To Assist in Taking Down Small Arms.”

It turns out the serrated non-slip stud is perfect for prying the extractor off an 03 Springfield bolt, punching the pins out of a 1911 pistol, M1 Garand, or M1 Carbine trigger group, holding down the stock band retainer spring on M-1 Carbines and 03 Springfield’s, and a host of other uses, on a host of other weapons of the time.

Some unknown designer really did his homework on that little feature right there!
Anyway, the handy dandy pin-punch was eliminated on the 1972 contract, and never seen again.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-684950.html

Since Larry had asked about Schrade family folders back in 2014 and got no response, I will offer up this picture of the Schrade demo knife. Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but here it is. 1982 is the only year that Schrade had a contract for them and they farmed out the production of the knives to Camillus. Thanks, Codger, for that information! The S-Card I found buried in a thread somewhere on the forum. Thanks to who ever posted it.

28078s7.jpg

2rerwpl.jpg

This is an Ulster Army Engineers knife. Also made by Camillus and others. I'm told that the 'safety' can opener on this one dates it at 1944 and later because that is when that type can opener became the military spec. I'm also told that the tang stamp on the knife blade dates it at 1941 or earlier. Go figure.

6fs9oh.jpg

Some Camillus knives. Only the Pilot's knife is from my time in the Air Force. The others I got off the bay.

USA Schrade knives with Military Applications...photos etc for further discussion/interest........

Back