Schrade Tang Stamp Chart

It is a one of a kind, so no demand. Some people like oddities, but the knife's conditon would dictate the value. I think the odd stamp would likely detract. Is it a Schrade USA, Schrade NY USA, or a SCHRADE WALDEN NY USA stamp?

At the request of Grey Menace, please excuse me being quite anal, while I add input about the 1973 to 2004 SCHRADE stamps:

1973 to 2004 is a pretty broad time frame and most would like to narrow down the age of the knife some.

Let me present some examples of Old Timer tang stamps within the 1973 to 2004 years. In each of these examples, the first stamp shown is the 1973 Stamp that followed Schrade Walden or when the pattern was introduced (194OT), and the second stamp shown is the one used when the pattern ended:

Example 1: 34OT
34OT_3.jpg
34OT_2.jpg

3 Line Stamp with NY USA on line 2, and pattern on 3rd line
Typical 2 Line Stamp with pattern on 2nd Line

In the case of the 34OT, Schrade did not issue the knife in a 3 line version without NY in the second line.

Example 2: 194OT
194OT_3.jpg
194OT_2.jpg

3 Line Stamp, but no NY on 2nd Line

In the case of the 194Ot, Schrade did not issue the knife with a NY USA stamp.

Example 3: 8OT
8OT_3.jpg
8OT_2.jpg

2 Line Stamp, NY on 2nd line (pattern number is on back of tang, in the style of the Schrade Walden versions)

In the case of the 8OT, neither matches the one in the original graphic, and there well could have been a Schrade 8OT with a NY USA 2nd line, and the 8OT on the 3rd line, but I've not seen one for sure.

As another example, as far as I know, the 77OT came out in 1976, and it had the typical 2 Line Stamp during the entire production years, never utilizing NY or a 3 Line Stamp.

A couple more examples of Uncle Henry knives

Example 5: 897UH
897UH_3.jpg
897UH_2.jpg

This version was a 4 Line Stamp, prior to SCHRADE+
The typical 2 Line Stamp.

Example 6: 885UH
885UH_3.jpg
885UH_2.jpg

A 3 Line Stamp, no mention of STAINLESS or a +, but it is not Carbon
The typical 2 Line Stamp.

In each case, the first stamp is these examples came from a knife that was shipped in a Brown Two Piece Box with a felt covered blue (Old Timer) or red (Uncle Henry) insert.

The Open Stock knives (for example, jigged delrin and some yellow handled knives) followed the same stamping trend. I have numerous patterns of Open Stock Schrades with these same examples, depending on the pattern. Most of the Open Stock knives came over from Schrade Walden, so most of them are found with NY USA in the second line of the stamp, and some with the pattern stamped on the pile side.

In summary, and in my general observations, with the exception of SFO editions and LTD's, with post 1973 Schrades, the NY USA and 3 Line Stamps followed the Schrade Walden years, and were present in knives that spanned both era's, plus a few new patterns after 1973. I do not know when any particular pattern may have switched to the final version.

I would appreciate it if anyone has a SCHRADE Old Timer or Uncle Henry with a 3 Line Stamp, with or without NY if you would add to this list.

108OT (NY)
33OT (NY)
34OT (NY)
61OT
194OT
94OT
8OT (NY - pattern on back)
8OT (NY)
885UH (NY)

Enough on stamps for now, if you made it to the end of this obsessive post.

Thawk

I just purchased 5 of the 8OT with the three lines you are looking for NIB. Here are some pics. The lady I bought them from said they were here grandfathers and he was supposed to open a knife store with a partner. Unfortunately his partner passed and the grandmother just wanted to get rid of the knives 30 years later.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Old-Timer-80T-3-Blade-Schrade-Cutlery-Knife-NIB-USA-Vintage-/161113988946?ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME%3AL%3AOC%3AUS%3A3160&item=161113988946&nma=true&si=EfJH5HwuhlKplpA9brjJWMO9Pag%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And I've now seen an brown delrin 8OT with 3 lines and a smooth striker too. I have an 881Y and with three lines and a smooth striker as well.

thawk the stamp freak
I found these matching 8OT and 881 3 liners.

medium

Last edited:
Still waiting to see a 3 line 77OT... I don't think there is one.

Nice buy PKarsko. I see those go for over $50.00 regularly.

I have an "K8OT" and an 885UH, with the 3 lines.
medium

This is a 1985 Smooth Red Bone Series 8OT.
medium

Last edited:
P1010047.jpgP1010045.jpgP1010044.jpg
G'day, some nice, similar, three liner Walden's all from the same time frame 1959 to 1965. Hoo Roo

Attachments

• P1010046.jpg
    P1010046.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 46
That Sawcut Bone 8OT of Larry's, sold for $US2.70 back in 1960. Can anyone remember the weekly wage back then.
In Australia back then, My weekly wage would have been about $US7.00...Ken.

Well done Ken, I was offered another bone 8OT almost mint from a U.S. collector recently...so they are out there...
I trust you have seen close up photos of your knife before parting with some moolah?...i.e. count the spikes/gaps in the matchstrike on the master clip blade, 16 actual spikes,i.e. there are 17 black gaps in the nail nique total, and back swedge goes up and over to the <just past> third last matchstrike above the nail nique...the centre brass pin needs careful scrutiny as well..have you compared the master blade clip profile with those bone handle 8OT's shown on this forum?......Good luck...I know you have been searching for one for a fair while....Hoo Roo

Last edited:
I realize this is quite an old thread but had a contribution to make. In thawk's post, it was stated that the 34OT was not released without NY in the second line. I don't know if this applies only to Schrade, or both Schrade and Schrade Walden stamps. Below are photos of my grandfather's 34OT that I'm lucky enough to have. In addition, I noticed a small discrepancy between my stamp and the stamp chart. My last line reads "N.Y. U.S.A." instead of "N.Y. USA" as pictured. Not sure if it was a typo on the stamp chart or an actual change in the stamp.

DBCDD74E-AACC-4741-BE59-ADD842C1E467.jpg

CE331236-46D5-4E39-AE49-1DA8F11D9280.jpg

Just before Schrade closed down, they had some knives made in China.
Note: The Schrade tang is clearly stamped "China". Taylor Brands only stamp their blades "SCHRADE".
medium

This 880 has the date etched on the blade! That makes it ease to date, at 1969.
medium

I find these knives with the etched blade, ease to date. I think I have the full set.
medium

medium

medium

Last edited:
One source lists mfg dates for that pattern from 1981 to 2000. They made not 100s of thousands, but more than a million. Look at a # on a bolster. Every time mfg numbers on a run reached 10,000 (I think) they added a letter. They call this alphanumerical numbering. So you can see 9999, then A0001, and on to maybe QQ 9999. Big big big big big numbers. And nice knives. There are folk here that might be able to tell you more.

in the LB 7 series the highest the alphanumeric numbering got was BB then they quit numbering them. the numbering was mainly used for the exceeding generous warranty of guarantee against loss.

I hereby submit this to my fellow Schradians for educational purposes, discussion, and critique
2518604773_87dfefd2e0.jpg

Do the font types look correct?
The bottom 3 look like they the only ones with seriffed fonts?

So
In theory the COPE USA ones are worth more?
SUPPLY and demand?
Or, where they of inferior quality offsetting the added value from being scarce??
What is the Holy Grail for the COPE Schrades?
Trent,
Thank bud!! Screenshot that chart for future reference, great piece of info

AF1QipORuWH9zfeQUyrpsn33BUMQwyMh_kR85rHj3oE
AF1QipNiAhRnCKRyf2INamK_KFf2hluS7RZMBzSwnrE
AF1QipMYwaKIeziXXw9wW-EbDvtubVajt7QuEbLHrxY
AF1QipNgr_lA4hhXWGZgosb0tPw22_0nxhqBTwYmBOQ
Can you guys help me with this? I just one this bid on Ebay. Surprising because I've never won one lol, and I'm wondering if there's a reason why there were only 3 bidders.
It has an original Walden box, but the stamp doesn't match up with any of the originals that I've seen. Got it for $40. Wondering if it's only worth $20.
I thought it was carbon from the patina on the blade. But the tang stamp actually looks more like the Battenfield stainless stamp. I'm wondering if this blade is not what what originally sold in the box pictured?

Please show us some images.
The images are attached to my comment. If you are on your phone, you might have to hold your finger on them until a menu pops up and you can select to view them. I couldn't figure out how to attach the image where it would show up, so I attached a link to the image.

Back