1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Schrade's (Chinese) Razor Blade Stainless

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Captain O, May 21, 2015.

1. Captain O

Captain O Banned BANNED

Apr 14, 2015
    When my Fruit Sampler Knives arrived Schrade's (Taylor Cutlery) has their Chinese blades etched with the image of a double-edge razor blade with the phrase "Razor Blade Stainless" etched in the same manner, arched over the image. Is this significant, or is it just a marketing ploy to sell their Chinese manufactured blades? :eek::rolleyes:

Captain O

2. Philbird

Philbird

May 10, 2014
    I don't think it was a ploy...
    Some older Schrade knives that were stainless also had the "Razor Blade Stainless" mark etched on them. Taylor is attempting to emulate these older knives, unfortunately in appearance only.

3. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Yes thats exactly what it is. A ploy.

4. Countless makers over many decades' time have used terms like this to describe their blades (not just Chinese either, but from all origins). In truth, most any competently-manufactured blade can at least be sharpened thin enough to emulate 'razor', 'shaving' or 'surgical' sharpness (all these terms have been applied to branding/marketing of knives). So, in a nutshell, it's just marketing-speak, and only designed to sell product. Beyond that, it reveals nothing of what the steel's or blade's capabilities are, either good or bad.

The irony is, most of the time, the large majority of factory edges on knives won't actually be sharp enough to reliably shave with; no matter how they're labelled...

David

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  5. MarkPinTx

MarkPinTx

Aug 21, 2003
    Yes, razor steel would make really crummy general purpose knife steel. Way too hard. And an actual razor edge is too thin and fine for a general purpose knife.

And, as alluded to above, Schrade used to use the safety razor blade mark on their blades, so thats a borrowed tradition or hype.

6. Captain O

Captain O Banned BANNED

Apr 14, 2015
    I figured as much. For the informed consumer, truth beats marketing hyperbole every time.

Captain O

7. If you want to find a knife made from steel that's actually, truly made from the same stuff as some quality razor blades, look for Sandvik 13C26 blades, or AEB-L (most likely only found in handmade/custom knives). Neither would easily be found in 'traditional' knives (aside from custom), nor would they be necessary for traditional knife uses.

David

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  8. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    This was always my favorite Schrade ad...

[​IMG]

9. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Ha! Ha! Shaving with a pocket-knife, nice ad!

I'll stick to my Feathers thank you.....

10. FordRanger

FordRanger

Mar 16, 2015
    While the blade etchings do look neat and reflect back to a time when Schrades were made in the good ol' US of A, I'd rather a knife come with nothing on its blades. The embellishments just make it look like it shouldn't be used. I've even sanded etchings off of a few of my knives. I suppose most people like them, or they wouldn't take the time to do it, but I can't stand them on a user knife.

Chinese Schrades do work pretty well though. I like mine, even if they aren't as nice as "real" Schrades.

This reminds me of when I graduated high school. I went to a strict Christian school and had to be clean-shaven, but I was already pretty hairy at seventeen. My eighteenth birthday was the day before I graduated, and for the morning of my birthday I gave my Buck 119 an extra careful edge and shaved with it, graduated the next day, and never shaved again. Its a fun story to tell, but looking back it was pretty stupid because it could have gone horribly wrong. :eek: Didn't cut myself though, and it worked great! :thumbup::D

11. Captain O

Captain O Banned BANNED

Apr 14, 2015
    That's quite a story! It was a dangerous action that could have resulted in great pain and a prolonged period of healing! :eek: I hope that I'll have the opportunity to enjoy my Schrades for years to come.

Here's to more cutlery we can all enjoy! :thumbup:

Captain O

12. MarkPinTx

MarkPinTx

Aug 21, 2003
    Yessir. The mental picture of the safety razor blade etch or print is on that california clip blade.

13. MarkPinTx

MarkPinTx

Aug 21, 2003
    And this will be a heretical statement, but the current batch of Taylor Schrade Old Timers are pretty comparable with the Made in USA versions of the "terminal" Schrade era. Except for the 1095. But I am seeing indications that the steel in the Taylors is pretty decent and maybe a step up from Rough Rider.

14. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Actually a lot of folks like it just fine. See David's post below...

Kershaw used to use 13C26 for a lot of their blades. It was considered good stuff.
    Easy to get "razor sharp".:D

15. :thumbup:
    I was tempted to mention Kershaw in that context, were it not for the 'non-traditional' association with the brand (usually, anyway). It's too bad they don't have some traditional knives in 13C26; I'm sure it'd be popular here. Sandvik spec's it's allowable hardness up to 62 HRC; that'd be a big hit.

David

16. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    It was a considered risk, but I decided to gamble that Gary would have mercy on me.

17. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    LOL!! :D:D
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

- GT

18. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Let's keep it traditional, folks!
    Sorry Frank, I had to do it! :D

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  19. thawk

thawk

Oct 28, 2006
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The original Schrade Walden NY USA Razor Blade Knife. I carry this knife often, but don't shave with it!