SEAL 2000... serrations question.

I saw a pic of your SEAL 2000 knife somewhere and was wondering how the serrations (teeth)
on the back of the knife perform. Anybody have any firsthand knowledge?

I am not looking to copy them. I am just curious. They look very aggressive.

------------------
Barry
Jones Knives
"NEW Knives"
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=126319&a=5922856
"For DUTY and HUMANITY!"
Curly, Moe, & Larry

they are............ badass.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by tom mayo (edited 10-06-2000).]

From the look it seems the serration on the back should be very efficient for rope or other fibrous materials and less efficient for sawing wood. For that the spine seems to thick. Makes sense, the Seal is not designed to be a wood saw.

But they hold up well when hammered on with a huge 6lbs screw as a hammer when trying to cut up a Cadillac
wink.gif

Our spine serrations are designed to cut polypropylene rope under water. When working under water, you don't have the capacity to hack. It doesn't work. But you can pull with great force. Our serrations rip through the rope.

They don't work worth a damn on wood. Maybe there's a reason they don't make 1/4 inch wood saws.

See ya

MS

BTW that dude isn't me. I wouldn't have used gloves. Such a whimp
wink.gif

That's what I call mint condition. Used only to cut air, maybe a few envelopes or a Cadillac or two......

Ralph, are you the guy in the pix, Nagata Ichiro, the excluxive Strider knife dealer in Japan, who is guilty of sellin more than double of its price in US, with its sales boosted up by hype reviews in the "Knife" mag for these half year?

Wrong Friend, I wish I were
wink.gif
then I could finally afford to buy this $3 Mio house here in Sausalito. But do you think I would post under Ralf (not Ralph) if my first name is Ichiro?

The sad reality is, I'm just a guy with a scanner who baught this Japanese magazine which has all these high quality pictures of knives among them these shown here. As a service to other knife nuts, I decided to post some here, since there are no good pictures of Strider knives on their website or in US-magazines. See, I don't have any benefit from doing this.

Regarding the prices you're right. I was shocked to see the retail prices of Strider knives in Japans. They usually run around $800 to $980!!! But so do Chris Reeve knives.

The other thing is that there is no need to boost the sales of Strider knives with hype reviews. I think the real performance speaks for itself.

Was there any description of how the window section was removed? Was the knife drove through it similar to how he is shown hammering it through the metal?

-Cliff

Hey wow...

I think its great that your taking the time to scan and post photos. Thanks very much. Very cool.

Mr. Nagata is not our dealer in Japan. Our dealer in Japan is called MAC Japan. Mr. Nagata is our official photographer. Isn't that BADASS. Have you seen his photos?. Okay I guess you have.

I wish there was something we could do about the price of knives in Japan. I have to tell you though, its not an inexpensive ordeal to import things into Japan. And keep in mind, our dealers only receive a 20% discount. They usually have to mark them up. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

I obviously can't read what the article sais, regarding hype, but its rather obvious to me that he chopped the **** out of that car. Look, the knife is pretty Fu*&ed up. Is that hype?

Hard to say.

See ya

Mick

Post Script:
WrongFriend, you seem a bit upset here, what's your deal?

The text regarding the windshield stated that it was easy to cut/break the glass with the knife. It didn't say if the guy used that hammer screw.

The text to the picture where the dude pops the hood says that it's possible to pry the hood open by using the knife as a prybar. The guy was pressing on it with his whole bodyweight and the knife didn't break. Well, he looks like your average Japanese, I wonder what would have happened to the knife if one of the Jones brothers had tried that
wink.gif

Somewhere around here we have video of a 300 pound SEAL 5 operator doing pull ups on one.

Ill look around for it.

Thanks again for the photos

MS

Ralph, I guess now you (not only, maybe) are tempted to come to Japan with suitcases full of Strider knives!

Cliff, in other close up pics you will see most of the breakin glass jobs were done bye buttend. I admit the buttend is a part of the knife, but there read some exaggeration in the article by not saying so.

Mick, thank you for kind reply for my rumblings, and sorry if I sound upset to you. As you have seen, the scan came from "Knife" mag, the only mag of the kind in Japan. These half years the top articles were about Strider knives written by Mr. Hasegawa and Mr. Nagata. For an average knifeknut I feel it rather ads than articles. Newbiess rush into knife dealers now for Strider knives by the pic some SEALS guy with their Strider knives in their hands unsheathed so as to look like the SEALS official knives. Do you think your specially purposed knives should be that popular among average people, who buy them as collectors?

I envy US knife fans with huge amount of knife news sources, especially THIS forum, anybody can have sincere comments by the manufacturor themselves!

I just can't stand if those who shold most appreciate your knives have come to think them as "tactical" kind of Franklin Mint. And this is what is happening in Japan. Because of the price, and the ad-ticles speak much more than the blades speak by themselves, I haven't had a chance to put my hands on Strider knife, I hope if the articles and the price calm down, I'd like to have one.

Back