SEAL 2000... serrations question.

Ralf,
You remember that pic of us in Tactical Knives, don't you.
I have handled a few Strider knives and think that even someone as big as I would have trouble busting it up. That SEAL 5 operator and I are about the same size and I would bet he is in much better shape than I am. I'd bet even he would have trouble tearing up the knife.

------------------
Barry
Jones Knives
"NEW Knives"
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=126319&a=5922856
"For DUTY and HUMANITY!"
Curly, Moe, & Larry

WrongFriend, I agree about the misdirection about the glass cutting. The reason I asked is that the WB has some serious edge damage. I have done a fair amount of metal cutting on cars without seeing that kind of fracture, however none of them have had the windows left in - but I have chopped at glass before and it is much harder than trying to cut the thin sheet metal that cars are made out of os it would be reasonable if the window was hacked or chopped at with the blade.

Cutting the window out is kind of an odd thing to do anyway, as you can just kick it out very quickly if you have some need to remove it. However it is a very stressful piece of work on th edge, far more than digging and chopping and the like, because of how hard glass is and the fact that it presents very high pressure point at the ridges. I guess it would be useful to have as an upper limit kind of thing.

As for using "Navy Seals" and the like, I don't think it is hype just playing on an obvious desire as you noted, the "be like Mike" idea. For me I think it is amusing more than anything else. If a 300 lbs guy does a pull up on a blade (or chops up a car) does it make it more impressive if you know he is a Navy Seal or whatever.

Hype is more of an intentional fabrication of the facts usually by presenting something as being much more impressive than it actually is playing on the ignorance of the reader who you hope has not done anything similar to what you are using to push the product. It is dead easy to spot as people who hype cannot answer specific questions and they will either be very vague or get defensive, or of course simply ignore the question.

Consider Mick's reply to my question about the folder, that is about as far away from Hype as you can possibly get. There are only a few knife makers that I know who will be as direct.

-Cliff

Hey there Cliff.
Thanks for the kind words.
The edge damage was due to the fact that those two knives pictured were wacked together, edge to edge. Neither of them are serrated knives.

Who cares about the windshield. Any large knife can kill a windshield. That's just some cool photo work.

Talk to you soon.

MS

Cliff, I see your point, that I saw from Mick's post also. He knows what he says. Contrary, the pix combined with the article shows signs of misdirection toward exaggeration, that I call a hype. The way "infomercials" does all day. Thrusting car doors without saying any decent blade can do, whack to other cooking knife under 2mm thick, SEALS pals pulling up the Strider knives as if official...

So what? A serious underestimation, by those who should be interested most! And the interested newbie customers will complain if the edge dulls!
Not me, now after I joined the forum here.
Mick, I'd like to have a knife as you think it should be, sharpness, toughness, reliability, and price!
Thank you again for your quick, kind, and honest reply.

------------------
(T_T) ...crying
\(^o^)/ ...cheerful
(ToT) ...crying
Mizutani Satoshi

WrongFriend:

the pix combined with the article shows signs of misdirection toward exaggeration, that I call a hype.

I can see your point here and it is something that I wish was not present as well. However there are a couple of things that turn that article around for me and overall I would see it as positive.

First of all, which is *very* rare, the knife being promoted is actually damaged. Do some checking around and you will see it is very common to have blades completely finish a review and still be "razor sharp" with even the coating still being NIB quality.

Second, there is actually another blade being used to compare against. Yes it is far from a top quality blade, say a Mission MPK would be ideal as a benchmark, but again most knives are reviewed in isolation and thus give you no idea at all how the work would effect other knives.

Third, some of the things done would damage many blades, the heavy prying, edge to edge impacts etc.

So no, it is not what I would call a perfectly unbiased and nonpromotional piece of work, but it does a lot that many reviews will not do and which I would like to see more of.

Mick, thanks for the clarification.

-Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff Stamp (edited 10-11-2000).]

Back