Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

I just tried the flex on the table with my small regular, got a little bit of movement.
Cant wait for the carbon fiber inlay small with the blue stud and new steel!!! Sexy!
.PhotoPictureResizer_20200327_015045_copy_3024x2268.jpg i put a dab of milk in my coffee this morning for a change and it tastes delicious
Just wanted to add most of us end up like our fathers (whether we want to or not) and i have confidence in Tim he will maintain the integrity of his inherited company

Last edited:
I just tested my Inoski and there was just the slightest bit of movement. I never noticed it before so I'm not going to worry about it now. Decided to grab a small 31, we'll see how it goes.

After all the info in this thread and hearing what every that’s to say, I’ve decided to keep the 31 that I received.

overall, I love the new inlays and the knife is super smooth!

I can't detect any movement on my Large Inkosi. It's a very recent manufacture. I guess there might be some, maybe, but I generally dont put enough spine-down pressure on a knife to flex titanium.

I just tried the flex on the table with my small regular, got a little bit of movement.
Cant wait for the carbon fiber inlay small with the blue stud and new steel!!! Sexy!
.View attachment 1310200 i put a dab of milk in my coffee this morning for a change and it tastes delicious
Just wanted to add most of us end up like our fathers (whether we want to or not) and i have confidence in Tim he will maintain the integrity of his inherited company

Unless he turns out like his mother...

I got sick and tired of my Zaan flexing his lock in front of me and my family like he’s the boss or something. In my pocket he goes thinking he’s all bad ass. I’ll show him. Whipped him out and forced him to work, ya I made him my biznatch. Came back inside, slammed him on the table and the douche bag immediately starts flexing his lock again. What a friggin tool. (I caught my wife staring at him)
Jr6QyHM.jpg

I had some extra time on my hands yesterday, no idea why.....
Decided to do this table top test on a few of my frame locks and was able to produce similar results, as seen in the video, with all of them.
These included:
Two Umnumzaan, old style pivot
Two large regulars
Two large and one small 21
One large inkosi
A Calavera cutlery, not sure of the model
Reate Torrent
Kizer

I realized two things:
I have more frame lock knives than I will ever need.
This phenomenon doesn’t bother me in the slightest as all of the locks held firm. And, growing up with slip joint knives I learned early on to apply pressure to the back of a knife handle when cutting, which I have continued to do with these ‘modern’ locking knives.

If I were in the market for a 31 I would buy it without hesitation. After watching the video and looking at my own knives I really see no great distinction.

If I were in the market for a 31 I would buy it without hesitation. After watching the video and looking at my own knives I really see no great distinction.

Well I REALLY do(see great distinction), my small 21s is rock solid if I try doing this exercise..

So my advice is; hang on and check out what Tim and the crew do to make this better.

The ball isn't moving deeper into the tang of the blade. From what I understand, the blade tang and ceramic ball never lose contact or move in anyway. Its the lockbar itself that is flexing in whatever direction it decides to flex. I dont know how a breakin period would fix this. For example, if a ball track developed over so many openings, how would this stop the flexing?

With all this being said, my large 31 micarta should be here tomorrow. I won't be selling any of my 21's either. There is room for all of them :D.

I own the Large Sebenza 31 and I can attest first hand to your spot on comment "Its the lockbar itself that is flexing in whatever direction it decides to flex". I can't say if this is, or will be, an issue or it's by design, since I'm not the manufacturer. I have had other separate concerns, however.
I can't, and don't want to try, to prove if the following statement is accurate, but I think you are also correct wrt "the blade tang and ceramic ball never lose contact or move in anyway".
And full disclosure, I am one of those guys with a Youtube channel and a few episodes on the Large Sebenza 31.
And like everyone, I have a belly button and opinions ;-)
Probably find my channel in my profile or if people are OK with not considering it spam I can provide a link to the Sebenza playlist and also happy to shoot some videos for people if it helps both CRK and others. Stay well and safe everyone!

I own the Large Sebenza 31 and I can attest first hand to your spot on comment "Its the lockbar itself that is flexing in whatever direction it decides to flex". I can't say if this is, or will be, an issue or it's by design, since I'm not the manufacturer. I have had other separate concerns, however.
I can't, and don't want to try, to prove if the following statement is accurate, but I think you are also correct wrt "the blade tang and ceramic ball never lose contact or move in anyway".
And full disclosure, I am one of those guys with a Youtube channel and a few episodes on the Large Sebenza 31.
And like everyone, I have a belly button and opinions ;-)
Probably find my channel in my profile or if people are OK with not considering it spam I can provide a link to the Sebenza playlist and also happy to shoot some videos for people if it helps both CRK and others. Stay well and safe everyone!

Thank you, I would appreciate a link to 31 videos and since it's on topic I don't think most people would consider it spam.

Th
I still don't understand how you can find that lockrock.....

Yeah, I read 11 pages here on this subject and was still unclear until I tried it myself on my new Large Sebenza 31.
Sure enough, I do get what I'll call some integral lock arm flexing while putting down/up pressures on the Knife blade spine.
Mine does not exhibit the vertical blade movement I saw someone else demonstrating, but I'm not willing to apply body weight up/down pressure on my blade spine while holding the handle stationary.
In fairness to the video post I saw, I can't tell exact what amount/type of pressure the video I saw demonstrated.
ugh, this is too hard to explain in words.
Let me do a quick video to show/reproduce the "lock rock". I'll post it on my channel in the next couple hours because it's hard to explain in text imho.
btw, not trying to drive people to my channel to get subscribers via a vid, but if a picture is worth a thousand words, a video must be worth more ;-)
I would like to know if this is a "normal"/by design thing on the 31's or other CRK models like the Inkosi, so after my post, comments here would be awesome to help me decide if I should write CRK or if this is normal and maybe others just have more/less tolerances/experiences.
I also have a small 21 on loan so I will also show/check that on the video and pull out some others, like my Pilar or something else with a similar design to compare too.

Th

Yeah, I read 11 pages here on this subject and was still unclear until I tried it myself on my new Large Sebenza 31.
Sure enough, I do get what I'll call some integral lock arm flexing while putting down/up pressures on the Knife blade spine.
Mine does not exhibit the vertical blade movement I saw someone else demonstrating, but I'm not willing to apply body weight up/down pressure on my blade spine while holding the handle stationary.
In fairness to the video post I saw, I can't tell exact what amount/type of pressure the video I saw demonstrated.
ugh, this is too hard to explain in words.
Let me do a quick video to show/reproduce the "lock rock". I'll post it on my channel in the next couple hours because it's hard to explain in text imho.
btw, not trying to drive people to my channel to get subscribers via a vid, but if a picture is worth a thousand words, a video must be worth more ;-)
I would like to know if this is a "normal"/by design thing on the 31's or other CRK models like the Inkosi, so after my post, comments here would be awesome to help me decide if I should write CRK or if this is normal and maybe others just have more/less tolerances/experiences.
I also have a small 21 on loan so I will also show/check that on the video and pull out some others, like my Pilar or something else with a similar design to compare too.
In the video I posted it’s more pressure on the spine of that 21 that anyone should be applying in normal correct use of a folding knife. Like I had stated before in many years of using/working and owning CRKs I never knew this existed. I continue to use them with no hesitation or second guessing their build quality

Back