Sebenza 31 S45VN's are out

Small Inkosis are starting to show up as well; I saw a couple [edit: lefties] today on Castle Gate.

Last edited:
Saw a small right handed 31 natural micarta at a Fort Worth TX brick and mortar store today. Pretty nice...

Anyone have any experience-based reports on how the edge retention of CRK’s s45 compares to their s35?

Anyone have any experience-based reports on how the edge retention of CRK’s s45 compares to their s35?
So far seems good... I don't know that I have had enough time/tasks to really tell much of a difference at this point. My amazon boxes and mail from this week haven't been much of a challenge lol

It's getting to the outdoor/chore/garden time of year so I'll have more use soon.

So far seems good... I don't know that I have had enough time/tasks to really tell much of a difference at this point. My amazon boxes and mail from this week haven't been much of a challenge lol

It's getting to the outdoor/chore/garden time of year so I'll have more use soon.
Please report back

I’m curious on this as well.

anyone with a S45vn knife been using it and can tell a difference?

I’m curious on this as well.

anyone with a S45vn knife been using it and can tell a difference?
I opened a couple tough plastic packages the other day and really laid into it... It did fantastic - I was expecting some dulling or microchipping and had neither. So far I've been really happy with it. I still don't know that I have had enough time to really know it super well, but I do notice a little more edge retention than s35vn. Still not a ton of data I know but there you go. I have 2 customs from Alex Dron in S45vn that are a couple Rockwell points higher and have really liked them as well. Cedric and Ada did a good vid on s45 edge retention ( used an AD knife as well) and it tested really well FWIW. I don't expect the same edge retention from CRK, but it is definitely an improvement IMO.

My new Mnandi is in S45VN.
According the CRK site the Mnandi has another new feature: “The 2021 model features an easy-open thru-hole nail-nick, CPM S45VN 60-62 RC blade.” Is it a more reliable opening mechanism than the second generation nail nick?

My recently purchased Small Inkosi Plain made in Feb 24, 2021 even tho came with a box and card saying CPM-S35VN, when I took the knife apart the blade tang reads "45". I had to take it apart since it ceased to open with the blade right up against the show face handle slap out of the box (everything is perfect now upon smoothing out the washers and careful reassembly / adjustment). Imagine my initial CRK impression lol!

I've also just bought a Small Sebenza 31 Plain with CPM-S45VN made on May 13, 2021, the fit and finish along with the blade deploy and closing action are fantastic out of the box. However this Small Sebenza 31 does have a tad of lock rock by simply holding the knife in the hand and apply thumb pressure to the spine near the tip, I can hear a faint click (the Small Inkosi is rock solid). Will see if the minor lock rock will go away with use as the ceramic ball wears a deeper groove into the tang.

Disclaimer: Decades long Victorinox / Wenger SAK user and also own Spyderco PM2 and Klotzli ACC-1 and SBG-1.

Back