Serious questions about 4034 steel

Well I recently wondered to buy either Code4 or Benchmade Mini Griptillian...

I went to the store ready to buy Code4, saw that new logo on it and something happened inside me.

So today I'm a proud owner of Spyderco Endura4 in K390 😄

Cold Steel that I loved and known is gone. Customer service is gone. Love is gone. Original crew, staff and owner are gone.
Their original videos are now history, new videos are just forced cringey as hell. Everything good has been axed (or will be axed), new stuff is ridiculously overpriced and materials are continously downgraded.
They are basically taking advantage of non knife people who don't know any better while also ignoring the stuff their fans complain about.

Once you see the stuff competition has - Cold Steel becomes much less attractive alltogether... also add difference in warranty, customer service, fit and finish and materials... and Cold Steel is no longer an option. I also carry fixed blade and a folder anyways, so I don't need overbuilt folder that wedges an apple instead of cutting it BTW.

So this settles it for me. I went away from their fixed blades because of crappy dullex sheaths, and I decided to buy folders from someone else for all other reasons mentioned here.

Cold Steel will remain a nice memory to me, but this new company is Sold Steel and they aren't someone I want to do my business with.

I went to the store ready to buy Code4, saw that new logo on it and something happened inside me.

This put smile on my face 😂
Man I love happy endings. And congrats on your Spyderco 😄
I also carry fixed blade and a folder anyways, so I don't need overbuilt folder that wedges an apple instead of cutting it BTW.
Yeah I get you on that, their only folder that's somehow slicy in my experience is clip point Voyager because of full flat grind. I had that knife for a while, I liked it, but some people were scared of it...
Anyways, Sold Steel literally doest use any steel that's even coming close to being as fancy as K390. And none of Cold Steels I ever held in my hands had action as smooth as Spyderco I held in my hands.

New Sold Steel doesn't even give you clip for lefties and since I'm a leftie - this is my message for those cheapskates: 🖕🏼

Enioy your Spyderco bro.

This put smile on my face 😂
Man I love happy endings. And congrats on your Spyderco 😄

Yeah I get you on that, their only folder that's somehow slicy in my experience is clip point Voyager because of full flat grind. I had that knife for a while, I liked it, but some people were scared of it...
Anyways, Sold Steel literally doest use any steel that's even coming close to being as fancy as K390. And none of Cold Steels I ever held in my hands had action as smooth as Spyderco I held in my hands.

New Sold Steel doesn't even give you clip for lefties and since I'm a leftie - this is my message for those cheapskates: 🖕🏼

Enioy your Spyderco bro.
Ah yes, I'm left handed too... funny how a cheapskate company forgets about huge part of population (left handed people) just to save few cents per box...

And I have to agree with you. Cold Steel folders can't even slice an apple. They wedge it, while Spyderco actually CUTS. I get the point of beefy fixed blades (and I own them too, and even carry one small thick fixie). But beefy folders? Like SR-1? Just why? Lateral stress will make scales and liners pop off and it'll fail the same way as a 3mm thick folder will (even saw a video). I know people who will say it can baton... why would you baton with a folder? I also see no real life scenario that involves 300 pounds hanging from a folder in vertical position like on the videos. So the point of all that becomes moot, only thing I think makes sense is spine whack, as it poses risk to your fingers if it fails on that.

I've gotten 5 Cold Steel folders just this year (and I know at least 3 of them are new stock, as I had to wait for them to be replenished). All those came with two clips. I was surprised, as I've read elsewhere on here that they had stopped doing that. Those 5 were the Code 4, three Recon 1's, and an AD-10.

And I will say while they are all thiccccccccccc, the fit and finish are impeccable. Blades centered. Scary sharp. No lock stick. I've been quite pleasantly surprised. Only the Bush Ranger let me down.

I've gotten 5 Cold Steel folders just this year (and I know at least 3 of them are new stock, as I had to wait for them to be replenished). All those came with two clips. I was surprised, as I've read elsewhere on here that they had stopped doing that. Those 5 were the Code 4, three Recon 1's, and an AD-10.

And I will say while they are all thiccccccccccc, the fit and finish are impeccable. Blades centered. Scary sharp. No lock stick. I've been quite pleasantly surprised. Only the Bush Ranger let me down.
I'm really happy you're satisfied with your purchase.

I just cannot buy that stuff with new logo though. And I kinda fail to see purpose of thick folder. I can legally carry a fixed blade, and I always am, and that will handle heavy jobs. I want something slicey and that's what I got with Spyderco.
Also - premium steel.
And easier opening.
And it's slim profile and just disappears in my pocket.

I get it. And don't disparage you for getting Spyderco.
Don't get me wrong. Spydercos are fantastic knives. Just not my style. I have a few... but they just don't do it for me. My biggest reason for even posting above is I don't understand why people are talking about CS stopping the two clips, when all that I've gotten that had asymmetric clips came with a second, opposite, clip. It's just kinda confusing. Maybe the sources I've bought from were getting theirs from new old stock still stored in warehouses?

Don't get me wrong. Spydercos are fantastic knives. Just not my style. I have a few... but they just don't do it for me. My biggest reason for even posting above is I don't understand why people are talking about CS stopping the two clips, when all that I've gotten that had asymmetric clips came with a second, opposite, clip. It's just kinda confusing. Maybe the sources I've bought from were getting theirs from new old stock still stored in warehouses?
I wish I knew the answer. I just know a lot of people stopped buying CS after the company got sold. For various reasons.

Tastes change with time, so there are people just not wanting to buy overbuilt folders anymore. That is also part of my reasoning too.

Downgrading materials, jacking up prices and no real customer service are currently biggest problems Cold Steel has. Their premium line still seems to be good though.

But you gotta remember, what will happen when old contracts with suppliers and manufacturers expire?
You know, like 3V Recon Scouts and Kukris like Lynn promised before leaving, S35VN knives and so on...
What will GSM do?
Do the same as Cold Steel did?
Or change?

Don't get me wrong, but more and more Chinese steel is used and more and more stuff is made in China ever since GSM took over, despite the fact it was Lynn who had that brilliant idea of using 4034...

I have my old Cold Steel (AK-47 field knife in 3V) that has old logo, good steel and is a real performer. I cherish that knife and memory of what Cold Steel WAS.

I can lend some help here. The only 2 models I know of that don’t include a lefty clip are the fancy Espada (large and XL) and the newest version of the Talwar.
One can use Voyager clips on the Talwar.
Hope that clears it up
(To avoid any confusion, I can confirm that the G10 Espadas all come with the extra clip)

It appears to be a misunderstanding that they nixed the extra clips

I can lend some help here. The only 2 models I know of that don’t include a lefty clip are the fancy Espada (large and XL) and the newest version of the Talwar.
Hope that clears it up
(To avoid any confusion, I can confirm that the G10 Espadas all come with the extra clip)

The Mini Recon I bought didn't include a lefty clip.

:mad:This thread has degraded to mostly just dancing on the grave of Cold Steel .

I'm not going to defend GSM , but plenty of the old school CS product models are still available ; and still better than any thing out there for the price . :cool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If you always hated CS , you are just here to celebrate its demise ...which is a pathetically sad use of time ,IMO . :poop:

I wish I knew the answer. I just know a lot of people stopped buying CS after the company got sold. For various reasons.

Tastes change with time, so there are people just not wanting to buy overbuilt folders anymore. That is also part of my reasoning too.

Downgrading materials, jacking up prices and no real customer service are currently biggest problems Cold Steel has. Their premium line still seems to be good though.

But you gotta remember, what will happen when old contracts with suppliers and manufacturers expire?
You know, like 3V Recon Scouts and Kukris like Lynn promised before leaving, S35VN knives and so on...
What will GSM do?
Do the same as Cold Steel did?
Or change?

Don't get me wrong, but more and more Chinese steel is used and more and more stuff is made in China ever since GSM took over, despite the fact it was Lynn who had that brilliant idea of using 4034...

I have my old Cold Steel (AK-47 field knife in 3V) that has old logo, good steel and is a real performer. I cherish that knife and memory of what Cold Steel WAS.
I won't buy Chinese steel. I don't care what knife company uses it. I'm fine with foreign steel, and foreign made knives. But not Chinese stuff. Some of their stuff is reportedly fantastic work, and excellent steel. Not for me, though.

Hope that clears it up

Thank you for that clarification.

:mad:This thread has degraded to mostly just dancing on the grave of Cold Steel .

I'm not going to defend GSM , but plenty of the old school CS product models are still available ; and still better than any thing out there for the price . :cool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If you always hated CS , you are just here to celebrate its demise ...which is a pathetically sad use of time ,IMO . :poop:
On the contrary, I like Cold Steel. I didn't USED to like them.... mainly because I didn't pay any attention to their folders, just their tanto fixed blades, which I didn't really have any interest in (and still don't). I didn't pay attention to how good a steel they were using in their folders until I noticed S35VN start showing up. Then I did a little more research, and I thought, "DANG! I should have jumped on board while they were still using CTS XHP! I didn't realize how good that steel was supposed to be!"

Incidentally, I also very much like AUS10A. Now that I've tried Cold Steel's. I'm hoping they continue as a company. They seem to have some good stuff. Just apparently not good customer service now.

Cold Steel that I loved and known is gone. Customer service is gone. Love is gone. Original crew, staff and owner are gone.
Their original videos are now history, new videos are just forced cringey as hell. Everything good has been axed (or will be axed), new stuff is ridiculously overpriced and materials are continously downgraded.
They are basically taking advantage of non knife people who don't know any better while also ignoring the stuff their fans complain about.

Once you see the stuff competition has - Cold Steel becomes much less attractive alltogether... also add difference in warranty, customer service, fit and finish and materials... and Cold Steel is no longer an option. I also carry fixed blade and a folder anyways, so I don't need overbuilt folder that wedges an apple instead of cutting it BTW.

So this settles it for me. I went away from their fixed blades because of crappy dullex sheaths, and I decided to buy folders from someone else for all other reasons mentioned here.

Cold Steel will remain a nice memory to me, but this new company is Sold Steel and they aren't someone I want to do my business with.
I am leaning the same way.

I did recently buy a San Mai Master Tanto and was thrilled to see that it still had the old logo. I replaced the garage sheath and couldn't be happier. What a great knife.

Last edited:
Ah yes, I'm left handed too... funny how a cheapskate company forgets about huge part of population (left handed people) just to save few cents per box...

And I have to agree with you. Cold Steel folders can't even slice an apple. They wedge it, while Spyderco actually CUTS. I get the point of beefy fixed blades (and I own them too, and even carry one small thick fixie). But beefy folders? Like SR-1? Just why? Lateral stress will make scales and liners pop off and it'll fail the same way as a 3mm thick folder will (even saw a video). I know people who will say it can baton... why would you baton with a folder? I also see no real life scenario that involves 300 pounds hanging from a folder in vertical position like on the videos. So the point of all that becomes moot, only thing I think makes sense is spine whack, as it poses risk to your fingers if it fails on that.
I love my SR1s.

Maybe it isn't the best tool for any job, but if the S is HTF that is the folder I would grab to accompany my Leatherman. And like Lynn, mine would be the Tanto.

My CS folders (Grik, hollow and flat ground Espadas, L and XL, Tanto Voyager XL) slice well.

Cold Steel, has joined Gerber in the, once was great category

I'm not sure that Gerber makes a bad knife. Take a look at the Strongarm from Gerber in 420HC, it tested as one of the top 3 toughest in JoeX's Knife destruction testing ritual. It took more than most from what I've witnessed to total destruction for a knife. It seems to be a lot of knife for the money. I'm not sure about the CS products at this time in this steel, maybe go back to AUS8.

I won't be saying that until no more Taiwan knives and classic models. Happy with Espadas, Rajahs, Talwars, Voyagers, XLs, the tanto fam, those Code AK-4Max... all those tough stout blades with diff names centering around 4, Grik, SRK/1, drop forged series, Frenzy, Holdout, Black Talon Ti//Tuff/Airlite.... in A8, A10, S35VN, 3V, and I hear the 52100 and VG10 is good, as well as supposedly serviceable SK5.

Even the Japanese AUS series from CS is pretty dang good, esp for utility and price. If they keep that going, I get using Walmart spl .3cr to fund the rest.

I'm not sure that Gerber makes a bad knife.
Gerber makes some really good knives. And some “not so good knives.” Gerber used to be among the top in the quality knife makers in the USA. But like a lot of other USA manufacturers they have went down the “made in China” rabbit hole to keep their prices down. It’s our own fault that USA companies do this though when you have workers demanding 15 an hour to flip burgers. Gerber does seem to be trying to offer more premium USA made blades in their line up lately I’ve noticed which I think is great.

Back