Serious questions about 4034 steel

I got a Cold Steel Kiridashi 4034 steel real cheap (21.00) to try it out. Been using it at work, and im not too impressed by it. Cut some cardboard, plastic straps,nothing too heavy,The edge doesnt last too long,it resharpens pretty easy but like others say, its not really that great .I wouldnt break the doors down for it.Its neck and neck with 3cr13 which is another sock puppet steel. Had a Kershaw Diskin in that steel it dulled when the wind blew.I think for their AUS10 is light years ahead of this crap. They should use AUS10 instead of 4034 and 4116 as their minimum steel.
Their 4116 isn't great, but it's "okay." Sounds like it's way better than 4034. But I agree, bring back AUS-8/AUS-10.

Honestly, I'm confused as to why GSM seems to be doubling down on China. It's a weird move and the must not have a good grasp of geopolitics. China is having massive internal problems ATM, and it will continue for the foreseeable future. The zero-COVID policy is destroying their ability to export anything, and the price of steel keeps going up. This will continue to present issues as their demographics are destroyed by the fallout of the one-child policy. There is also the risk of sanctions, which is increasing as China continues to threaten Taiwan. The threats to Taiwan will increase as China has internal problems, as creating an "other" usually serves to unite a country and distract it from the real issue at hand.

I just don't get it. I have no issues with them having production in Taiwan, as Taiwan seems to be very good at making knives for a great price, but mainland China? The days are numbered there. Increasing reliance on them is insane and frankly, idiotic at this moment.

….I just don't get it. I have no issues with them having production in Taiwan, as Taiwan seems to be very good at making knives for a great price, but mainland China? The days are numbered there. Increasing reliance on them is insane and frankly, idiotic at this moment.
GSM is little more than a warehouse with a distribution system. Their business case is to sell $30 knives to Cold Steel collectors for $400 until they wise up, and then simply toss the stale brand after sales dry up. There is no future for Cold Steel; they died a couple of years back.

n2s

Last edited:
Their 4116 isn't great, but it's "okay." Sounds like it's way better than 4034. But I agree, bring back AUS-8/AUS-10.

Honestly, I'm confused as to why GSM seems to be doubling down on China. It's a weird move and the must not have a good grasp of geopolitics. China is having massive internal problems ATM, and it will continue for the foreseeable future. The zero-COVID policy is destroying their ability to export anything, and the price of steel keeps going up. This will continue to present issues as their demographics are destroyed by the fallout of the one-child policy. There is also the risk of sanctions, which is increasing as China continues to threaten Taiwan. The threats to Taiwan will increase as China has internal problems, as creating an "other" usually serves to unite a country and distract it from the real issue at hand.

I just don't get it. I have no issues with them having production in Taiwan, as Taiwan seems to be very good at making knives for a great price, but mainland China? The days are numbered there. Increasing reliance on them is insane and frankly, idiotic at this moment.
I share in your confusion. For multiple reasons industries have been decoupling from China over the last two years.
But a couple of companies that have ventured into the "knife market" are failing to pay attention to the changing global geopolitics and are pursuing a strategy that was sound maybe up to 10 years ago. Not just GSM who just bought Cold Steel and SOG, but Edge Technologies that bought Al Mar as well.

Cold steel advertised and promoted A2 models and then failed to produce them. Cold Steel came out and said 4034 was GREAT and CPM3V would also be made available. This was over a year ago. Thus far the only 3v Cold Steel I am aware of is the recon scout. 4034 in fixed blade models is available in Kukri Plus and Warcraft in different blade lengths. My question is: Where are the test videos??? Cold Steel is so sold on 4034 for it's large fixed blade where are the testing videos??? I looked for customer test videos and could find none. GSM is now following the tired and true marketing ploy of sex sells using a sexy model in some videos. GSM Cold Steel is sold on 4034, show us. And let us not forget Demko also promoted it.

And let us not forget Demko also promoted it.
I used to be a fan of Lynn and Demko, but after I had really underwhelming experience with 4034 and later read their old posts on this forum promoting 4034 and praising it... I lost a lot of respect I had for them.

I get it, sales have to be made, and you can't shit talk your own product especially since it's you who made decision to use materials that are used... but you need to know when to stop.

If they priced it at anywhere from around 30€ or even 50€ and said "Yeah, it is what it is, but it's decent for the money and will work acceptable for most users" - I wouldn't have said a word, and this thread wouldn't exist...

But they promoted it as if it's a hidden super steel and jacked up the price...

GSM Cold Steel is thinking they can charge a premium for blades that align with M-Tech.

It is insulting to the brand.
Meanwhile, MTech is doing their best to introduce a decently made series that's still more or less in line with their thing. Hilarious

GSM is little more than a warehouse with a distribution system. Their business case is to sell $30 knives to Cold Steel collectors for $400 until they wise up, and then simply toss the stale brand after sales dry up. There is no future for Cold Steel; they died a couple of years back.

n2s
If it is anything like my understanding of vulture capitalism, they borrow and buy the company, borrow against their new toy to immediately pay themselves back on their investment, then run it into the ground pocketing ever penny as profit. If the acquisition survives, great, if not that's okay as well.

To really understand the GSM model, these are the guys who removed the extra pocket clips to save and pocket a Nickle. If anyone believes that's the only corner they cut, they are delusional.

To really understand the GSM model, these are the guys who removed the extra pocket clips to save and pocket a Nickle. If anyone believes that's the only corner they cut, they are delusional.
This is what I say to people... and since I'm left handed - they can forget that I'll even consider any of their folders...

I dont have high hopes for 4034 in a bowie or chopper, and the prices of what they will be are way too expensive, looks like in the mid 200s unless it changes ,for the trailmaster,laredo and natchez.

I've seen the Laredo at just under $200.00 and the Natchez for around $212.00 IIRC on "coming soon" lists but have not seen the Trailmaster.

Of course they'd still be overpriced at those rates.

They might not even be making the Trailmaster in that steel.

Sadly all things come to an end, the same will be with Cold Steel, just instead of decent ending they did it the slow and painful way...

4034 is probably a fine steel for a fighting knife that will be reserved exclusively for slaughtering your foes. Unless you are a crusader you (or your squire) can probably find a moment between slayings to touch up that edge. You just need some kind of real knife for doing knifey things between battles.

Obviously, one would expect a 4034 weapon be appropriately priced, say thirty bucks or so. Cheap enough to leave sticking out of your fallen enemies if that is your preference. If you are reading this Sticky, consider doing a video on that. Girl in chainmail bikini, fallen foes, discarded weapons silhouetted brutally against the sky, and you there like Gandalf with your staff. If you are gonna go fantasy go all the way.

Recently bought a Range Boss in this 4034 and it seems to hold up fine... granted I've mostly used it to cut up fruit but I've taken down a couple of cardboard boxes with it and it seemed to hold up OK.

Consider this knife a bit of a bargain for what I paid .... although it would be totally awesome with G10 scales.

That said, I don't know about using it in large fixed blades. Prefer tool steel in a fixed blade myself.

Last edited:
Recently bought a Ranch Boss in this 4034 and it seems to hold up fine... granted I've mostly used it to cut up fruit but I've taken down a couple of cardboard boxes with it and it seemed to hold up OK.

Consider this knife a bit of a bargain for what I paid .... although it would be totally awesome with G10 scales.
I don't know, Manly city in 1428N Sandvik steel is a lot cheaper here, is backlock and steel is a lot better... it's less than 50€...

Then real king - 7€ for Mora 511 in carbon C100 steel (C100 is like 1095 with silicium and a bit extra carbon added).
And stainless 12C27 Mora costs 8€...

And if you feel like really spending - then Mora Robust for 15€.

I don't know, Manly city in 1428N Sandvik steel is a lot cheaper here, is backlock and steel is a lot better... it's less than 50€...

Then real king - 7€ for Mora 511 in carbon C100 steel (C100 is like 1095 with silicium and a bit extra carbon added).
And stainless 12C27 Mora costs 8€...

And if you feel like really spending - then Mora Robust for 15€.
Not sure where 'here' is but I'm in South Africa. Paid around $60 for it which I think is about 55 euros.

Not sure where 'here' is but I'm in South Africa. Paid around $60 for it which I think is about 55 euros.
Yeah, that's more expensive than Manly city which is around 40€ or 50€ shipped. I'm in Europe BTW.

And Morakniv knives are kings of beater fixed blades.

Back