SG2, the super steel that never caught on.

Any steel that has three different names is three times as hard to sell !! Just say'in.
It's a fine steel , I know since I have a U-2. Metallurgist approved !!!

Pretty happy with my SG2 Endura. The run was plagued by the already noted limited availability of the steel and probably took 3x as long to deliver than expected.

Happy with my phk, I guess fallkniven are the preferred customer for this steel and not cost effective for other manufacturers

Last edited:
IMG_2569.JPG Got one of the endura supergolds recently but cant comment on performance since its a safe queen being my first numbered Spyderco. Might grab another one for a user though.

An SG2 run of G10 Endura/Delicas were announced early this year but Sal just shot it down last month. G10 runs of the knives are now on hold until they settle on a replacement steel. It might very well be HAP40.

Sal:
As mentioned, sales are often the decider in continued production. We're working on a G-10 Endura and Delica in blue that was planned for SG-2, but the cost and minimum quantity required for SG-2 blows it out of the market. Now we're discussing an alternate steel for the G-10 versions.

It's just hard to deal with like Scurvy said.
If they're going with blue G10, the obvious answer to steel choice is beloved M390 :D

it seems this steel never quite took off in the US Market.

Is it simply availability?
Naaahhhhh the basic fact that it didn't have a Z an X or an M in the designation of the steel doomed it to obscurity.

In addition, and oddly enough, it is an ineffable and little known fact that has been proven over and over in reputable (well pretty reputable) laboratories that to change the name of an alloy during a rope cutting test can actually effect the number of cuts. Who knew ? !

SG2 is my favorite stainless steel if heat treated right it holds and edge better then M390 with the ability to hone the steel back to a hair popping edge. I have been using a Bradford Guardian 3 in SG2 for close to 2 years now and have never actually sharpened the knife. It feels like a stainless 52100
v6hp8J4.jpg

Mcusta now makes one in super gold

Bew9uT2.jpg

Mcusta 126G

I'd get one if I could. Hopefully it's not a special edition or something.

sg2 would have been popular if s35vn didn't exist, and didn't become the defacto high end pm steel

it would be an interesting story of pricing/availability/distribution in terms of knowing the details of how each was handled on the business end by the respective foundries

Mcusta now makes one in super gold

Bew9uT2.jpg

Mcusta 126G

I'd get one if I could. Hopefully it's not a special edition or something.
Quick google search shows that they're doing that steel in at least two models with varying handle materials.

Reactions: Mo2
sorry to revive an old thread but I just got a delica in SG2....dude how has this steel not been on the radar??? its terrifyingly sharp and its supposed to have excellent edge retention as well.....I'd never even heard of super gold 2 steel....seems to be a rare steel....what a shame

sorry to revive an old thread but I just got a delica in SG2....dude how has this steel not been on the radar??? its terrifyingly sharp and its supposed to have excellent edge retention as well.....I'd never even heard of super gold 2 steel....seems to be a rare steel....what a shame

because sg2 is really just like s30v - except sg2 has less vanadium... *imho* I'd take s30v over sg2 anyday, and it's at a lower price because MANY companies use it in many knives

http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=sg2,s30v

Back