1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

SG2, the super steel that never caught on.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by DeadboxHero, Sep 22, 2015.

1. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Any steel that has three different names is three times as hard to sell !! Just say'in.
    It's a fine steel , I know since I have a U-2. Metallurgist approved !!!

2. bad_juju

bad_juju Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Thanks!

3. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
  4. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Pretty happy with my SG2 Endura. The run was plagued by the already noted limited availability of the steel and probably took 3x as long to deliver than expected.

Edgeoflife and Mo2 like this.
  5. ronnie hood

ronnie hood

Mar 12, 2018
    Happy with my phk, I guess fallkniven are the preferred customer for this steel and not cost effective for other manufacturers

6. KenHash

KenHash Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    DeadboxHero and Edgeoflife like this.
  7. Edgeoflife

Edgeoflife Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 11, 2018
    IMG_2569.JPG Got one of the endura supergolds recently but cant comment on performance since its a safe queen being my first numbered Spyderco. Might grab another one for a user though.

DeadboxHero likes this.
  8. ronnie hood

ronnie hood

Mar 12, 2018
    DeadboxHero likes this.
  9. stuff_things

stuff_things Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 28, 2015
    If they're going with blue G10, the obvious answer to steel choice is beloved M390 :D

10. nwmetalbug

nwmetalbug Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2012
    I have a couple SG2 Dawgs and Blurs. The steel acts a lot like ZDP189, good stuff.

11. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Naaahhhhh the basic fact that it didn't have a Z an X or an M in the designation of the steel doomed it to obscurity.

In addition, and oddly enough, it is an ineffable and little known fact that has been proven over and over in reputable (well pretty reputable) laboratories that to change the name of an alloy during a rope cutting test can actually effect the number of cuts. Who knew ? !

BigKurtHaze likes this.
  12. Impulse600

Impulse600

May 24, 2016
    SG2 is my favorite stainless steel if heat treated right it holds and edge better then M390 with the ability to hone the steel back to a hair popping edge. I have been using a Bradford Guardian 3 in SG2 for close to 2 years now and have never actually sharpened the knife. It feels like a stainless 52100 [​IMG]

d762nato and Mo2 like this.
  13. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Mcusta now makes one in super gold

[​IMG]

Mcusta 126G

I'd get one if I could. Hopefully it's not a special edition or something.

BigKurtHaze likes this.
  14. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    You're not going to wait for a hardness test?

jlauffer, Mecha and marcinek like this.
  15. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero

Mar 22, 2014
    It's laminated

Mo2 likes this.
  16. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    sg2 would have been popular if s35vn didn't exist, and didn't become the defacto high end pm steel

it would be an interesting story of pricing/availability/distribution in terms of knowing the details of how each was handled on the business end by the respective foundries

17. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 28, 2007
    Quick google search shows that they're doing that steel in at least two models with varying handle materials.

Mo2 likes this.
  18. KenHash

KenHash Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Ah..I'm a fan of SG2. But not of the Tsuchime finish.