Shaman KC sprint

I ended up following Chad's advice using a toothbrush to scrub the scale surface with denatured alcohol. It lightened them up more and the "woodgrain" lines show up more. I also waxed them. It seemed necessary to scrub the surface to avoid the dye leeching into hands or surfaces. Though feint it the dye was still present on the surface the next day if you rubbed a cloth on it and it had to go.View attachment 1278399 View attachment 1278400

Nicely done! :cool: My dye arrived at home yesterday, but I'm still over a thousand miles away, lol. I'll be doing mine soon after I get home this weekend! :D

Thanks Chad! I have not tried oiling the micarta but maybe I'll try that first.
That will most definitely darken it! Try it, and use food-grade mineral oil. It may take a few applications to fully absorb, so try lightly oiling it once a day for 2-3 days and see what you think.

Usually when oiling micarta in this fashion, I use my fingertip to lightly rub a drop or two of mineral oil in at a time, you do not need to slather the surface in oil. Rub it around until all of the micarta has darkened, let it sit like that for 5-10 minutes, then rub it down lightly with a paper towel to remove any excess. Give it about 15 minutes, and oil will not transfer out of the scales onto other things (like your pants or pocket) noticeably.

I've actually oiled my micarta Shaman twice so far, and it seems to soak it up pretty good, then the surface gets looking dry pretty quick. I'm actually a little surprised by this, usually in my experience with canvas micarta, a couple coats last quite awhile before it gets looking dry again like this. I lightly oiled the pivot last week, and was surprised to see the amount of oil the scales absorbed around the clip holes in the pivot area. Within 3 days though, that wet area was completely dry looking again.

Finally turned up yesterday. Nice example, my first Shaman, and first REX 45 blade.
Real happy with this.

Ztd6Kx5.jpg

It has come to my attention that I failed to post the dye job I did on my Tree Rex. :oops: Sorry 'bout that...

So, this turned out really nicely. Mine still has more red in it than Chad's did after dyeing, but I didn't leave mine in the dye quite as long either. I think it turned out really nice, and I have not had any trouble with the dye coming out/off after I finished it. It's a bit difficult to photograph, it still looks more red in the sun on cameras than it does to the naked eye.

IMG_0756.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0755 - Copy.jpg

IMG_0761 - Copy.jpg

IMG_2236s.jpg

Last edited:
Back