Recommendation? Shapton glass stones

Yep, for low grit edges, you can do a lot on high-carbide steel without diamonds. It's when you try to refine that you run into trouble.
I see your point. It’s been awhile since I put a mirror polish on my bailout. I’ll try an experiment to get a mirror polish on my M4 blade and see how it works out. I’ll let you know the results :)

I see your point. It’s been awhile since I put a mirror polish on my bailout. I’ll try an experiment to get a mirror polish on my M4 blade and see how it works out. I’ll let you know the results :)
My prediction: you can get the mirror polish, but not the kind of hair-whittling edge that ought to go with it.

I'm actually speaking from experience here. Through the courtesy of a member here, I have a CPM-M4 razor. I went through absolutely everything I could think of to get a shaving edge on the thing, stones that worked with everything else, but nothing worked until I tried diamonds and CBN.

And then the edge chipped really easily, but that's a whole other story.

I got a working edge on my M4 bailout in two minutes on a shapton glass 320
As has been mentioned, it doesn't matter so much at such a coarse grit. When the grit of the stone is bigger than the carbides, the importance of being able to cut the carbides becomes pretty irrelevant. Many believe you can also use the finer grits on high carbide steels as well, but the general consensus from the "experts" is that your edge won't reach it's full potential unless you use something that can cut the hard carbides at finer grits, like diamond or CBN.

There are plenty of conflicting opinions out there though.

My prediction: you can get the mirror polish, but not the kind of hair-whittling edge that ought to go with it.

I'm actually speaking from experience here. Through the courtesy of a member here, I have a CPM-M4 razor. I went through absolutely everything I could think of to get a shaving edge on the thing, stones that worked with everything else, but nothing worked until I tried diamonds and CBN.

And then the edge chipped really easily, but that's a whole other story.
The conclusion: I got a hair whittling edge and a mirror polish. As you know I sharped my bailout on a 320. So I went on to my shapton glass 1000, in about two in a half minutes I got a burr, I then get a burr on the other side then removed the burr, all together about six minutes. From there I move on to my naniwa traditional 6000, repeated the same steps, and took about five minutes (I timed it), and then stroped it about 15-20 times on each side. The result is an edge that will whittle hair and cut through paper towel. I do sharpen a lot of knives I just don't get that much with a rockwell over 60.

As has been mentioned, it doesn't matter so much at such a coarse grit. When the grit of the stone is bigger than the carbides, the importance of being able to cut the carbides becomes pretty irrelevant. Many believe you can also use the finer grits on high carbide steels as well, but the general consensus from the "experts" is that your edge won't reach it's full potential unless you use something that can cut the hard carbides at finer grits, like diamond or CBN.

There are plenty of conflicting opinions out there though.
I have no experience with diamond stones or anything else like that. I also don't know much about carbides or any of that kind of thing. I am far from a sharpening "expert", but I do know this, in the past two years of doing a decent job sharpening, ceramic stones have never failed me, I've always been able to sharpen a knife regardless of steel or hardness in a decent amount of time. I know this is properly not true for everybody but it's just my experience.

The conclusion: I got a hair whittling edge and a mirror polish. As you know I sharped my bailout on a 320. So I went on to my shapton glass 1000, in about two in a half minutes I got a burr, I then get a burr on the other side then removed the burr, all together about six minutes. From there I move on to my naniwa traditional 6000, repeated the same steps, and took about five minutes (I timed it), and then stroped it about 15-20 times on each side. The result is an edge that will whittle hair and cut through paper towel. I do sharpen a lot of knives I just don't get that much with a rockwell over 60.

I have no experience with diamond stones or anything else like that. I also don't know much about carbides or any of that kind of thing. I am far from a sharpening "expert", but I do know this, in the past two years of doing a decent job sharpening, ceramic stones have never failed me, I've always been able to sharpen a knife regardless of steel or hardness in a decent amount of time. I know this is properly not true for everybody but it's just my experience.

Interesting. I will add it to my store of information, even though I don't yet know how to incorporate it into my model of things.

Back