Share Your Beater Knives!

Using an actual knife for non-knife stuff is just not smart, so I use the cutter I got given for free at my job; no sense risking an investment doing stupid stuff.

e2ScEeI.jpg
I never claimed to be a smart man ;) I think I just like to see how far I can push things just a little bit too much. I do need to get me a good carpet knife though!

Cqc7.

It’s the one on the left.

HaclTeK.jpg

It has a super sweet edge though. I had the edge ground to a true V. (Wish I hadn’t; recurve is from me ruining the edge before I knew what I was doing.)
OAg8VZD.jpg

This 15 was butter knife dull for the longest time, I was just too lazy to sharpen and kept using it. Even dug a hole in rough dirt with it. Not what I'd typically do with a knife but this once can handle it. I finally gave it a good edge the other night, and rounded off the tanto-tip-transition to make for a more usefull edge.

rIJZply.jpg
It is nice seeing some Emersons put to the kind of use Ernie intended for them to be. I have been wanting a roadhouse but just cant bring myself over the sticker shock. Maybe one day I will find a good used one and see if they are worth the hype!

It looks like a beater knife to me, and last time I checked beater knives are for cutting and prying stuff :p...... I get your point of view on how knives should and should not be used but I prefer to pry with knives that im not really afraid of breaking

Fair enough.
Personally I prefer to use a prybar as to not risk injury, but maybe that's just me.

Fair enough.
Personally I prefer to use a prybar as to not risk injury, but maybe that's just me.
To be clear, Im not talking about heavy prying, Just light stuff like prying apart the handles stuck on a fixed blade or a piece of wood or something that got stuck to my work table from some epoxy that leaked out. Just not stuff I would do with my more "pretty" knives

To be clear, Im not talking about heavy prying, Just light stuff like prying apart the handles stuck on a fixed blade or a piece of wood or something that got stuck to my work table from some epoxy that leaked out. Just not stuff I would do with my more "pretty" knives

Gotcha, I normally use a putty knife for this but i have done this with a knife before.

Right now I have some cheap Chinese folders I was given that I let people use, I never use them myself, these are nameless mystery stainless steel the design is like a slightly larger Buck 55. These knives I don't care what happens to them that are junk I have 2 or 3 of them and one the blade locks open great but closed is so loose it is probably a safety hazard. I also have a Kershaw Cryo II Tanto which I use occasionally and it is the beater of my knives and I will let others use it. I mostly have it as a beater because it just wasn't something I loved. I found it a touch to heavy for comfortable pocket carry and I found I am not fond of the Assisted Open knives.

Definately this beast.

Weighs a ton and for about $30 with a crappy sheath, it is my work knife at the trailer. I use it daily all summer.

DBAF17DA-07A5-467C-86FD-D7DEE2F1AFAE.jpeg

Using an actual knife for non-knife stuff is just not smart, so I use the cutter I got given for free at my job; no sense risking an investment doing stupid stuff.

e2ScEeI.jpg
I came across this thread after working a brutal night shift. I had 4 knives on me..

Nirvana
LG insingo
SAK pioneer
GEC #72 kickback

I had two other coworkers with me to replace a grease interceptor in a bakery. All 4 knives got used for something, cutting poly to cover the surrouding area, cutting the silicone to remove the triple compartment sink to get to the grease trap, opening bags of sand and concrete.. cutting the rubber pipe connectors (fernco) off below ground.

I always use my knives and had never had an issue before that night. We needed to add an extension on the new one we were installing and had to remove 8 or so little pins to accommodate it. There was a very thin layer of hard plastic preventing the pins to be able to be pushed through.
Resized_20180118_183719.jpeg

I lost a bit of the tip on my nirvana..

I'm not upset, I'll sharpen it out and keep on using it. But after having that happen and seeing this thread, you convinced me to grab a throw away.

I went a good 4-5 years without tipping a knife so it was a good run.

Beater Blades...I broke em. But that's what their job was, to be used if they broke I don't worry to much about them. Mostly a low end folder for work that I know that will break. I use to use a Gerber Gator Blade for years till I lost it then found it again. I even got one with serrations till it got stolen. I had a few real bad experiences with frame locks and only get them as expecting them to be expendable for light general use.

Now since getting bitten by the knife bug, I have to many Hard Use knives that I can use the proper knife for the job. 5160 for wood chopping batoning for example. One SP-10 I was going to use a a beater blade turned out to be used less than my SP-51s I use for heavy wood work. (I mean HEAVY work). So since it was lightly used I rounded up a few of my duplicate buys and that one and gave a set of knives to my little brother from a nice Gerber Strongarm for a tough smaller knife, RD6 he uses for hunting, the RD Tanto he says is a great middling woods whopper, that SP-10 he likes using it just to use it as his "Beater" now. And the SP-53 I gave him is his serious pack/camp knife. I did get a SP-10 for the beater and in case I forgot to pack the "Main Knife" because well I just like it for a big "Beater" blade.

I did use Buck 110s and Sharades when younger and they were great all round general purpose hard use knives I used, I took care of them so does that make it a beater blade? Well only one Sharade knife survived from not being stolen or idiot relative who borrowed it "Lost" it. That still gets used as much in my smaller knife line up as ever. I find the lock back folders are still best for field small blade tasks, but I do keep a few smaller fixed blades around, I can put up with the "Monstrous" light ounces having a few small back ups. I went with expendable folders after I had some of my former EDCs were "Confiscated" for some reason or another. I figured why let some one steal some good steel performers when they can get just average workable ones?

Now after my Rolling Meandering Ramblings I guess my current "Beater" is a Lansky some thing or other frame lock, then usually a Gerber Gator blade...I always get one or two for that purpose if I remember get one that is. My Gerber Strongarm is the "New Beater" blade I guess for my smaller to middling fixed blades, but if its to tough for my strong arm when needing a shorter blade out comes the BK2, thats what I got that one for. My RD 7s are my most used larger main fixed blades but my RD Tanto is getting more and more of the grunt work. SP-10, the knife I love to have an excuse to use. Really its a big slab of a steel in a freaking big bowie, what not to love not using it full force? Yes i seem to use my SP-51s and SP-53s more often, but that's when I need the work done with the best tool I got at the time.

As I said I got enough knives to spread out the different jobs at differn't locations, and I got a few more multi-purpose knives like the BK-9s with solid hilts and such that gets carried by others so we got atleast two big knife tools in the group when I get dragged along, one is a dedicated chopper among the other tools we bring.

Editicus: I love this thread, seeing real work knives!

Last edited:
Back