Photos SharpByCoop's Gallery of Handmade Knives

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by SharpByCoop, Jan 15, 2009.

1. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    Close friends of mine have a son who is in engineering college and is an entrepreneur. He designed a classy bottle opener and is having them produced.

"Can you help us with photos?" Yes I can. :)

[​IMG]

Greg Cimms lives about an hour away and doesn't mind taking the ride to visit for a photo shoot. I like having him here, because we work together on the project and format. That, and his work is So. Damn. Good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don Hanson III. "Say it loud and there's music playing, say it soft, and it's almost like praying..." (Lyrics from 'Maria' - West Side Story) ;)

[​IMG]

I hesitate offering too close of a detail shot. Only the better makers can stand up to magnification. DH3 is up to the task.

[​IMG]

Tim Steingass has been charging up the maker-to-watch ladder for years. He knows how to make knives, and the value of promoting his knives. He sells them all. :D

This model is what he calls his 'Relentless Fighter'. (BL/OAL: 9"/13 3/4" Material: CPM-154 Bolster: 416SS) Stand BACK!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pair was made for a father and son. Great family!

[​IMG]

Thanks for viewing!

Coop

2. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    seems to me like some Rolling Stones might suit this piece better ;)

3. watermule

watermule

Nov 26, 2015
    I saw that mouth in there when I looked at it yesterday but didn't think about Mick at the time!
    Rob

4. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Brett Schaller crafted this tidy Loveless-style drop-point hunter. His sheath work is just as eye-grabbing. :eek:
    [​IMG]

Pages of information by Joe Paranee surround this visceral piece by David Mirabile. Outstanding! I archive it here for quick access and study as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a pleasure it is to be introduced to the new stars in knifemaking. Here are a pair of superb knives by young maker Jordan Lamothe (still a student at Williams College). You saw them here first!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

more....

5. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Tyler Turner is from Missouri, and is a farmer, however that's not ALL he does well. check out how sturdy and clean this folder is.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kevin Klein and Jason Morrissey both hail from New England, and they collaborated on this dirk. Jason = steel, Kevin = build: 1+1=4 :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

Greg Cimms / Kayne Custom Knives (Kayne is his middle name) REALLY knows his way around a forge and a workbench. Check out the endgrain spacer!
    [​IMG]

Greg brought these directly to my studio, and we shot them together. [email protected]@K at the skulls in this steel! (And yes, Don Hanson III was prominently mentioned as inspiration by Greg. ;) I wonder if Greg was aware of Robbin Hudson's octagonal ergonomic handles. It sure works here!)
    [​IMG]

They are even watching us from the frontspine. :eek:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Blacksteps likes this.
  6. Steve Nuckels

Steve Nuckels

Aug 18, 2009
    Coop,

I eagerly await your installments, you and your clients never disappoint.

Some of life's pleasures.

The Mirabile/Paranee project is outstanding!

Thanks!

Steve
    ---------
    Member, W.F. Moran Jr. Foundation
    ABS Apprentice Smith

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  7. Jon Brand

Jon Brand Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2007
    Good catch Lorien!

8. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Three letters: DH3, OMG, FTW.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We need the blues.

Tim Withers
    stuns us with his irreverent and bold usage of blue G10. Whatta knife!

[​IMG]

Steven Ramos uses some form of iridescent stone to give us his blues. I'll take them!

[​IMG]

He makes a MEAN sheath!

[​IMG]

More blueness. Ron Best fanboi alert: Ron is one of the hardest working, most stimulating makers out there. That he's a foremost family man and provider for his challenging kids, give me pleasure showing them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More...

9. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Tim Steingass is winning the war on appeal. His clients are eating them up!

[email protected]@k at these: Forged and flat, stock and hollow, stag and wood. Both winners!

[​IMG]

Side draw sheaths:

[​IMG]

A PAIR of 'Battle Bowies'. To make a bigger statement, you'd need a bullhorn!

[​IMG]

We've all admired Jody Muller's engraving and folders. Now look at his deep-relief carving. :eek:

[​IMG]

Did I mention I like Ron Best's work? ;) (This one has a slightly different blade shape from the two previous.)

[​IMG]

Jose J. Sosa Perdomo: This came directly from Spain to me, then to a collector overseas. An elegant historical and traditional knife in that area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More...

10. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Terry Lee Renner is imaginative and skilled. Witness this formidable pair of fighters:

[​IMG]

They fit in this large opposed sheaths with a backstrap...

[​IMG]

...so you may take on any manner of malefactors with aplomb. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

'Don't Mess With Texas!' That's where Spencer Aplin comes from, and this knife blew UP my Instagram comments when it was shown. A proper awakening!

[​IMG]

We stand in awe of new 2016 Mastersmith: Andrew Meers.

His thematic work continues to amaze and behold. Here he has created a folder with a tribute to the amazing paradise 'rifle bird'. (Click to see this video and admire the beauty.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll have more soon. Thanks for being patient!

Jim

11. folding knives

folding knives

Sep 25, 2016
    #27 looks amazing!

12. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Let's look at some current forged goodness. AGAIN!

Mike Quesenberry, MS
    [​IMG]

Matt Gregory
    [​IMG]

Haley DesRosiers, MS
    [​IMG]

Steve Randall, MS
    [​IMG]

Tim Steingass
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Following are (10) INCREDIBLE pieces from the guys at 'Dragons Breath Forge' up here in CT. (ALL of the makers have been on 'Forged in Fire').

Peter Swarz-Burt
    [​IMG]

WOOTZ!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jamie Lundell
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Michael Coffey
    [​IMG]

Matt Parkinson, JS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

benchwarmer380 likes this.
  14. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    E. Russ Andrews II, MS
    [​IMG]

Paul Long leatherwork
    [​IMG]

John Doyle
    [​IMG]

Paul Long leatherwork
    [​IMG]

Kevin Klein
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alan Davis
    [​IMG]

Jody Muller
    [​IMG]

Josef Rusnak
    [​IMG]

Julie Warenski
    [​IMG]

D' Alton Holder
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are ALL deserving of paragraphs of accolades and descriptions....

I'd just as soon you spend that time looking closely.

Thanks for viewing!

Coop

Blacksteps likes this.
  15. Shawn Hatcher

Shawn Hatcher

Nov 25, 2003
    That was an incredible update, Jim! So many great pieces to take in.

16. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    It's been a VERY BUSY past month. We set up and shot at the New York Custom Knife Show (NYCKS) mid November. Before and after I have also been working to fulfill studio work.

Click this: 2016 NYCKS - Outstanding People & Outstanding Knives!

Here's a short sample of the 30+ images in my Show coverage thread:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got a BUNCH MORE to show you, and we'll get to them.

Stay posted.....

Jim

17. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    I get work from many sources. I LOVE the variety and the opportunity.

A coveted and legendary older 'Zipper' folder from Michael Walker. Sigh....
    [​IMG]

A modern collab flipper which is as fun to open as it is to look at!
    [​IMG]

Has John W. Smith EVER made a knife which didn't scream (quietly) "Quality!"...???
    [​IMG]

...or for that matter, the renowned Steve Johnson.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Canadian Brian Tighe (and friends) has created a mid-tech lineup. I was asked to do some tempting website displays. Sweet: Made in USA!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    LOOK at how cool this knife is from Anders Hogstrom!

[​IMG]

Model: Druid Sickle II/ Hand Scythe
    Material: damasteel
    Handle: North sea mammoth w copper lines and copper screw-hole-trim
    Sheath: Masur birch and ebony display stand by maker
    Comments: All done by hand/ hand operated tools. No mills, surface grinders or the like was used.

[​IMG]

Jay Hendrickson's knives are SO warm and appealing you forget how lethal they might be! :) :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The guys up here in Connecticut are KILLIN' IT with the work out of Dragon's Breath Forge. Here's one of the artisans: Jamie Lundell, with a long sword.

[​IMG]

D' Alton Holder and Stan Hawkins collaborated to show Frank Frazetta's (click to see original) renowned fantasy artwork (Mad polar bears pulling a dogsled. BALLSY!!)

[​IMG]

Shaun and Sharla Hansen just get fancier and fancier and better and better. Proof POSITIVE!

[​IMG]

Flying WAY under the radar is skilled maker Michael Craddock. Look closely at what I see!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Didja notice? I found a couple of new backgrounds this week!)

Thanks for viewing. :thumbup:

Coop

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    benchwarmer380 likes this.
  19. marthinus

marthinus KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 10, 2006
    Great photography as always :thumbup:

20. Joss

Joss Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2001
    That JWS dress tactical looks eminently comfortable.