Photos SharpByCoop's Gallery of Handmade Knives

New page, end of year. Here's what's been on the studio table!

A legendary silver folder from the late Ray Appleton.The locking complexities are magic.
orig.jpg

Artististry meets Precision from Antonio Fogarizzu.
orig.jpg

This is a 'traditional' folder from Salvatore Puddu. It's got some similarities to grandpa's tackle box knife, well, like a Timex watch does to a Patek Philippe.
orig.jpg

Can you IMAGINE? Of course. We all did as youth, and now we relive the tale with a satisfying smile. SO COOL by Ron Skaggs and Joe Kious.
orig.jpg

Reactions: Jos
Theo Nazz from NYC is hosting blacksmithing classes in Brooklyn. Here's him showing us how much FUN it is to work with metal!

This is his 'steampunkmascus' with nuts, bolts, and gears along with his 3D cast guard work. Definitive!

orig.jpg

This one is ALL about the kitchen... Chef's knife with pork flavor and cutting board. That san mai blade steel follows a smart path to a tenderly-sliced roast. See the tail in the 3D bolster!

orig.jpg

Anders Hogstrom used rare and delightful 'Baltic amber' as the handle material.Silver textured guard and that dangerous hamon are his hallmarks.

orig.jpg

New kid in town! Tanner Couch hails from Texas, and allows his education comes from the veteran Bill Ruple. That makes him a 'Ruple pupil' (his words)! EXTREMELY clean.

orig.jpg

^^ Say that five times fast.....!

Thank you. :)

Jim

I'm excited to reveal a new logo I had developed for my business. It was done by a graphics professional, and there were many variants which we revised before choosing and then settling in on this version.

orig.png

My brief for this included:

• I wanted to look professional to a mature audience.

• I wanted to have a camera or some form of visual to identify this.

• I wanted something to signify 'Sharp'. (It did not HAVE to be a knife, but this particular version grabbed me. There were slashes, pointy letters, and any number of things to identify.)

After discussion with Susan we decided a knife would be best suited. I do not have a base outside of knives and, although tempting to have something more universal, this is what we do. :thumbup:

I had a LOT of 'kitchen knife' knives submitted. I had to instruct and point to my website to see how few knives I shoot which have no guard. (This one started with no guard. :( I pointed to the Lurquin Musso Bowie guard and THEN he came up with this. Nailed it.)

A ton of little revisions: Changing the 'BY' to half size with underline and thinner font. The lens was modified a couple of times. That space along the camera and spine closes to a point.

But.... Where's the pointy tip? AHA! Well, it HAS to be pointy to bury itself in a board or a table, and the inherent visual/action of sticking the knife into the table says "I mean business!"

This was done in shades of grey like below. I added the Red/White/Blue colors and the darker knife to compliment my website flavor and to give it a touch more flair.

He also created a watermark for me (my original intention which grew...) This a large version of that. The camera icon eliminates the wordy 'photography'. This can be implemented into my web and IG images. Grey or white. We will see.

orig.png

I hope you find it pleasing. Change is hard, but this was a smart step for me.

Jim

Jim, thanks for another year of great pics, they're the highlight of my day sometimes and greatly appreciated. Thanks for the advice and help when needed on how to take pics and address problems when takin' them. Most of all, thanks for and your contributions over the last 16 years. We've been here a long time and seen a lot of changes in the industry, community and mediums and mostly the membership, hope the new year finds you and yours healthy, happy and prosperous my friend.

Thanks for the memories ;)

Hey Ted,

I appreciate you taking a moment to recognize. This 'library' is very quiet in here... ;)

Although I'm never looking for praise for ME, I love it when discussion happens about a knife or an image. Mostly it gets quiet admirations. :)

Thank you.

Jim

I moved in March of 2015. I did think to update my email address in my Profile, but failed to re-subscribe to the few threads I was subscribed to with my old email addy. Thought it might carry over, but apparently not.

I stopped by for a fairly rare visit here the other day and somehow found myself wondering what ever happened to that thread of Coop's that I looked forward to being notified of new posts for the last few years? When I found it with lots of new posts, I quickly figured out the problem and rectified it.

Still loving the thread, Coop, and will again look forward to finding new notifications in my inbox whenever you post. "Quiet admiration" doesn't quite cover it. Every time I crack open this thread, it seems my wife is in the other room demanding to know what all the "Whoa's!" and "Un-freakin'-believable's" are for here in the office. I usually say, "You gotta see this, Darlin'!" Then she comes in and all the whoa's and un-freakin-believable's start all over again.

Happy New Year! Love the new logo too.

Blues

Its a good logo! It pulls the whole thing together. Good marketing. Would look good on a shirt or hat.

^^^ Thank you. Blues, this one's for you and the missus. :) Jon & Buddy: I'm glad you agree! :thumbup:

This was posted already, but sure is special. Kevin Cashen, MS is capable of many things, and this commission of a Western/British medieval sword is exemplary on many levels.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I have supported charity and noble causes with my images from the beginning of my career.

This year's Spring NRA auction Bowie is a standout! Doug Ritter from KnifeRights worked with the artists J.R. Cook, MS and Barry Lee Hands, and me to do our best.

I am a MUCH smaller player, but this display will earn admirations (read: HIGH BIDS!)

I don't have the Knife rights link to show just yet, but Doug or I will post it soon. In the meantime, just LOOK at the workmanship! :eek:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

R.J. Martin is heading to Las Vegas for the SHOT and Tactical Knife Invitational shows.

He's smart. he completed all of these knives and sent them to me to record. He also wanted me to provide a montage of EACH of these knives so he could deliver the knife WITH a print and a file.

He understand the complete package, and is aware of aftermarket trading. He will sell every one.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

more...

Speaking of the Tactical Knife Invitational, longtime veteran Brian Tighe also shipped me a dozen+ folders to shoot, and then ship directly to him in Vegas.

His work is bold and exciting, and I made sure my work was fresh as well. (This is only a sampling of his works!)

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

It was a privilege to capture how CLEAN this folder is from Bob Ohlemann (Ranger Made Knives).

Zirconium bolsters, Westinghouse Micarta, and a great shape make for the appeal.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I'm always pleased to show my personal friend Keith Ouye's work. When he combines his talent with my buddy C.J. Cai, the result is ALWAYS eye-grabbing.

(This was a very difficult background to work with and I loved the challenge!)

orig.jpg

Thanks for viewing. :)

Coop

(This was a very difficult background to work with and I loved the challenge!)

orig.jpg

All of 'em are beyond phenomenal as usual, but I couldn't help but notice that this one looks like Kurt Sutter should've commissioned one each of these for the club cast of Sons of Anarchy as an end-of-series gift. (For those who may not know, the club's logo was a variant of the Grim Reaper, very similar to the one depicted on the left side of the knife above.)

Certainly no need to thank me (or anyone else I imagine). You couldn't have stopped me from viewing if you tried! :D

Blues

Coop, the photos of the NRA, J.R. Cook Bowie are spectacular! I told my wife to come look at a $10,000 + knife, and she said, "That's a car! What kind of knife is it?!" I explained it to her, but I don't think she gets it.

To any of you folks who would like to listen in to MY talk about Custom Knives and my Photography Background and Philosophy, I was the talkative recipient of an interview on a podcast. (1+ hr long!)

Read more about it and listen HERE!

(Thanks again to Tony Sculimbrene and Gear Geeks Live / Every Day Commentary (EDC)).

Thank you.

Jim

H. 'Sid' Suedmeier from Nebraska is 79 yrs young and is the owner of 'Little Giant' power hammer presses for forging steel. He tell me he has NEVER sold a knife. He GIVES every one away for charity or to his friends.

This one is special: Walnut stock from 1800 muzzle loading shotgun. (That off center mosaic pin covers an existing bore). The steel is CRAZY! Forged components included in damascus blade: Parts from muzzle loading and flintlock guns from the 1700-1800's, steel from battleship Texas, historic oil well drilling rig, meteorite, 12 kinds of barbed wire from BW Museum, gun parts from Texas Ranger Museum, Steel from Texas state capital. Whew!

This one has been donated as an auction for Ducks Unlimited. What. A. Guy!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

What a privilege to capture.

Coop

Well that is something! Talk about material & detail rich!

Very generous man too.

I love it!

Steve
---------
Member, W.F. Moran Foundation
ABS AP

Let's see some familiar projects again, AND some new ones. :thumbup::thumbup:

Mark Knapp bedazzled us a year ago with his abalone fighter. He pieces together MANY layers of abalone to make a 'solid' handle. Here he's at it again.

More impressively is this is his own engraving on the work. He's unlimited. :eek:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

There isn't a finer maker nor father on this planet.

Ron Best has the eye of a designer and keeps pressing forward. Here's some 'exotic' material inlaid in his stylish frames.

orig.jpg

The artists up here in CT at Dragon's Breath Forge have all been contestants on 'Forged in Fire'. (And I believe three of four have WON!)

Jamie Lundell with a pair of seax's.

orig.jpg

Peter Swarz-Burt with his WOOTZ steel and carved moose antler handle. The wootz and his guard are stainless. Crazy.

orig.jpg

Michael Coffey with his rendition of a modern Kukri.

orig.jpg

To show you how EXTREMELY talented they are, I present some longer swords....

Peter Swarz-Burt with his Crusader sword (A replica of his winning Forged in Fire champ!)

orig.jpg

Jamie Lundell nails it with his Viking sword.

orig.jpg

Matt Parkinson, JS recreates a 15th Century Type XV sword. He delivered all these pieces in person and helped me stage them and choose backgrounds. Good eye!

orig.jpg

Can you imagine? The same day I got a visit from uber-talented maker Greg Cimms. (They hit me like a wrecking ball that day!)

Greg goes by Kayne Custom Knives (his middle name). He's got standing orders for his work, and those of you who listened to my podcast (see followup post below), will understand WHY I am adamant about Chef's knives as a growing area of ours.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

BTW: I rented a new camera and lenses to see if they would work for me. I spent three days working with a Sony A7rII, and I'm glad I rented it. Saved me a bunch of $$ to find out it's just not right for my working method. Canon continues to be my brand of choice.

My subject that day was one of my very own. :D Another current shot of an old favorite by Hill Pearce.

orig.jpg

Jody Muller has quite a presence in this gallery, and today is another. Here's a Voodoo/Dark Mardis Gras theme!

orig.jpg

I've always enjoyed working with Doug Campbell, JS and his knives. He's from MT and is a solid supporter of the traditional Bowie knife. Here's a frame handle coffin bowie with blackwood, wrought iron, long quillons, and tasty filework.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

This one was as hard to finish as those swords ^^^ ! I['ve always been a fan of C.J. Cai's work and I have shown it on many different pieces. He won an award at the latest FEGA show: Artistic Uniqueness Award

Sir Winston Churchill was an avid cigar smoker. This is a tribute to him and his vice!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Back