Sharpening Record Page

I was not able to make CPM S110V whittle hair!
Anybody succeed with this? It is like pretty good challenge.

Thanks, Vassili.

If I had one I'd let ya know but I don't plan on buying one, you could always send me yours.

b6obol.jpg

Put a knife edge on my first Scrapyard. Reprofiled with a DMT X Course, convexed with 600 grit sandpaper, polished a bit with 1200 then put on a microbevel with a fine ceramic rod. Forgot to put the hair in the photo. :rolleyes:

23ruatj.jpg

The hair is kinda hard to see. Stupid cell phone camera...

Where are all the other serrated blades?

23ruatj.jpg

The hair is kinda hard to see. Stupid cell phone camera...

Where are all the other serrated blades?
No one here likes to sharpen serrations hehe, awesome job, did you use the actual serration or a plain edge at the tip?

I used the actual serrations. Each cut in the hair was from a different scallop as well.

I just got the thing today (byrd wings), and it came pretty freakin' sharp (would catch arm hairs above the skin), so it just took a bit of stropping on the corner of a loaded strop

Spyderco Bob Lum Chinese ZDP189 - out of the box able to nicely whittle hair! Excellent job by Spyderco.

Thanks, Vassili.

Here pictures of hair whittled by Spyderco Bob Lum Chinese ZDP-189 - factory edge:

Spyderco_Lum_Chinese-008.jpg

Thanks, Vassili.

My vg-10 moran just did out of the box! And it has been in storage for a while, I bought it off the forums.

Spyderco hands down has the best edges of all time. I've never had another company come close! Spyderco is the only one where I can be assured I am going to get a sharp edge out of the box.

Spyderco hands down has the best edges of all time. I've never had another company come close! Spyderco is the only one where I can be assured I am going to get a sharp edge out of the box.

I disagree, My BM 556 Mini-Grip out of the box was way sharper than my

Centofante III and my Tenacious. And what i mean by "way sharper" is that

my BM 556 cut paper like a laser (even hair on my arm without a scratch) but my Tenacious

and Centofante III cut like butter (and scratched the skin on arm even

though it still cut the arm hair).

I disagree, My BM 556 Mini-Grip out of the box was way sharper than my

Centofante III and my Tenacious. And what i mean by "way sharper" is that

my BM 556 cut paper like a laser (even hair on my arm without a scratch) but my Tenacious

and Centofante III cut like butter (and scratched the skin on arm even

though it still cut the arm hair).

Can you start Benchmade better then Spyderco war somewere else. Until you have BM out of the box which whittle hair. This is bit different level of sharpness we are talking about if you did not notice...

Thanks, Vassili.

Edit: Oops, forgot the ZDP Jess Horn in my pocket that is my precision cutter.

Sorry for the large pics, my phone camera doesn't have the resolution to show the hairs at a smaller size. Here are some bad pics of my currect EDC trio, a Manix , a Krein reground ZDP 189 Jess Horn and a Superhawk. The Manix and Jess Horn are done on benchstones to 8000 grit then brought up to a .05 micron finish by using lapping film. The Superhawk was done on the Sharpmaker and was whittling hair after using the Ultra Fines (the first grit I checked that at) but I put .3 micron lapping film on the rods to finish it. Again, these are cell phone pics with no macro so the resolution sucks. I actually had to whittle a bunch of hairs until I could get one where the whittled curls were large enough to show up OK.

The knives

The Superhawk

The Manix

The Krein ZDP 189 Jess Horn (scuffed up from flat to the stone sharpening)

Mike

Last edited:
It came time to resharpen my CB JYD-II, I wanted to use my DMT aligner clamp and DMT benchstones for that perfect edge. My XX-fine stone has been breaking in nice though I think it still has a long way to go its starting to produce some real sharp edges. After finishing up on the XX-fine I stropped for a few minutes on hard leather with handamerican 0.5 micron diamond spray. I still have some more stropping to do but the edge so far is impressive.

6 splits total.
Picture359.jpg

Picture360.jpg

Picture362.jpg

Not my best looking edge but its friggin sharp!
Picture363.jpg

pics1110.jpg

All these knives will whittle hair. Sorry but I couldnt find a picture of my S110v shallot so I guess you will just have to go off my word in that department nozh. I can post pics of whittled hair too in my next post.
-Barry-

Can you start Benchmade better then Spyderco war somewere else. Until you have BM out of the box which whittle hair. This is bit different level of sharpness we are talking about if you did not notice...

Thanks, Vassili.

I'm pretty sure he can express that or any other opinion in any thread he chooses, provided it's done in accordance with forum rules.

I use those darned paper wheels then strop lightly on one of those 4-1 nail files but just the 2 lighter parts, then on to a little bit of denim.
-Barry-

I was unable to get a pic with my normal camera so I used a digital microscope camera. The zoom is 30x to 40x.

I convexed the edge of my M4 mule with a spyderco UF ceramic and polished with 0.5 micron diamond spray, I was amazed at the results, this is by far my sharpest knife.

I count 10
WOW.jpg

Back