Sharpening Record Page

To give props to Spyderco a factory Endura wave I handled whittled hair with ease. This is the first factory knife that I have seen whittle hair, and I was quite impressed.

My factory Caly 3 ZDP couldn't whittle hair but easily shaved and caught some hair above the skin, but after a couple minutes on the sharpmaker after completely dulling it by lightly cutting into the fine stone it whittled hair. I used the 15 degree setting and went through the grits to UF and it was whittling hair. I then put the 1 micron and .3 micron lapping film on the rods and it was whittling tiny little strip after strip of hair. Until I hurt my back I was using benchstones only and forgot how great the sharpmaker is at putting on very sharp microbevels very quickly. The Caly 3 ZDP is way thinner and more acute than my Spyderco R2 (.019" edge thickness, 12 degrees per side), so I give Spyderco the utmost credit for putting some serious cutting edge geometry on their knives from the factory. I just moved and can't find my calipers, but I would guess the edge thickness on this knife is well under .015" and the edge bevel is about 10 degrees per side. That is how I like my edges to be from the factory, it makes it that much easier to rebevel.

Mike

This is my first post, I've lurked here too long.

My name is Fernando, I am originally from Mexico and I have been living for 3 years in San Francisco, CA. There's always been good knives in my family, specially hand made cooking and working knives from Sayula (our kitchen knives were made by these guys, they start training early), a knife making town in Jalisco, but I did not start owning knives until I came here.

This is my first time sharpening knives by hand. I spent all Friday afternoon sharpening and then dulling with sandpaper and sharpening again a cheap Ikea kitchen knife. Today I moved to a better knife and managed to whittle hair on the first try.

This is a no brand $12 knife, sharpened with a $15 280/1000 grit King stone (usually $25, but a corner was chipped on the 280 side) and a $24 3000 grit Suehiro "household stone". Everything bought at the Japanese hardware store in San Francisco's Japantown. They sell all kinds of beautiful carbon steel gardening and woodworking tools too.

If anyone can make out the characters and tell me the brand, I will be grateful. At the store they are just called "wooden handle Japanese knife, no dishwasher".

Sorry about the photos, I did my best.

XiOsJhQh4z8nMCErMdvrlJtHDuaErrK0

cJCnHMY9qz_HtTVq6I73kRRc-S6Br3rU

enF1KcCL1z-poPmnrWaWQNCBZvYcIkMl

My DMT xx-fine keeps getting better the more I use it, it's break-in process is taking a long time but its benefits are starting to shine through. Knife pictured is a spyderco military CPM-S30V, after the XX-fine the edge was finished on a leather strop with .5 micron diamond spray.

If you use diamond compounds and have yet to try handamerican's diamond spray your really missing out, this stuff is amazing!

Picture377.jpg

Picture376.jpg

My DMT xx-fine keeps getting better the more I use it, it's break-in process is taking a long time but its benefits are starting to shine through. Knife pictured is a spyderco military CPM-S30V, after the XX-fine the edge was finished on a leather strop with .5 micron diamond spray.
If you use diamond compounds and have yet to try handamerican's diamond spray your really missing out, this stuff is amazing!

Now that is a whittled hair for sure! :eek: I gotta get some of that HA diamond spray.

This is my first post, I've lurked here too long.

This is a no brand $12 knife, sharpened with a $15 280/1000 grit King stone (usually $25, but a corner was chipped on the 280 side) and a $24 3000 grit Suehiro "household stone". Everything bought at the Japanese hardware store in San Francisco's Japantown. They sell all kinds of beautiful carbon steel gardening and woodworking tools too.

If anyone can make out the characters and tell me the brand, I will be grateful. At the store they are just called "wooden handle Japanese knife, no dishwasher".

Sorry about the photos, I did my best.

XiOsJhQh4z8nMCErMdvrlJtHDuaErrK0

Cool Japanese kitchen knife. Is it beveled the same on both sides? (Nice camera work with the inset and all!)

Yes it is beveled on both sides.

The inset is Gimp work, not camera work, bu thanks anyway :)

tn_DSC06409.jpg

tn_DSC06407.jpg

Just touched up my native on a 9micron belt then hit it with a leather belt with .5micron CrO.

The other day I picked up some ceramic kitchen knives from HF, one was a paring knife and seemed kinda dull so I figured I would try and sharpen it on my diamond stones. I didn't get the results I was expecting but it did help out my finer diamond stones a great deal. My DMT XX-fine has taken a very long time to "break-in" and after using the ceramic knife I think the break-in process is almost complete.

After the main curels of hair I was able to make some very fine curels that you can see near the edge of the knife.
Picture445.jpg

I wanted to see just how many were there so I got out the micro camera and to my suprise there was 7 :p
CPMD2curels.jpg

Here is a pic looking down on the edge.
CPMD2curels2.jpg

Question. Should there be tension on the hair, or should it be free hanging? My photo I was putting tension on the hair.

It's hard to see, but at the end, I poke at the little coils for show. Sorry for the noise; that's the camera's lens focusing.

The knife is a Delica 4 Wave. It was sharpened with a DMT Fine 6x2 stone with an Aligner clamp. It was finished with a microbevel using a Spyderco white Fine stone.

It's hard to see, but at the end, I poke at the little coils for show. Sorry for the noise; that's the camera's lens focusing.

The knife is a Delica 4 Wave. It was sharpened with a DMT Fine 6x2 stone with an Aligner clamp. It was finished with a microbevel using a Spyderco white Fine stone.
Is that pubic hair/arm pit hair? :p

To keep this test more standardized, lets use only Russian hair. And for you convenience I have some fine organic (no chemicals such as hair spray) Russian brown hair for sale.
Prices as follows:
Head hair 4 inches in length 15 cent each.
Underarm hair 2 inches long 10 cent each.
Pubic hair 2-3 inches long 5 cent each.
Please add 50 cents for shipping USPS.
If you buy more than 10 hair, you receive 15% discount.
PayPal accepted.
Keep in mind the hair are first quality and pulled right before shipping for the freshness.

To keep this test more standardized, lets use only Russian hair. And for you convenience I have some fine organic (no chemicals such as hair spray) Russian brown hair for sale.
Prices as follows:
PayPal accepted.
Keep in mind the hair are first quality and pulled right before shipping for the freshness.
How about Asian hair? there's billions to go around(no racist).

Prices as follows:
PayPal accepted.

:barf::barf::barf:

Prices as follows:
PayPal accepted.

Let me keep it for the record.

After finding this thread, I have been trying to do this for days. I even made a strop out of a board with 3 strips of leather glued to it. I bought some black and white rouge from Lowes and have been obsessing for days. So after days of trying my favorite sharp knives out, and unable to get a hair whittling sharp edge on my favorites (sm classing Sebenza was catching once in awhile. I finally got of all things my Kershaw Chive to get about 3 tiny curls on a free hanging arm hair. My cell phone camera couldn't seem to focus and pick up the curls, and in an attempt to make the curls longer I just cut through the hair. :( I sharpened the Chive on some cheapo white ceramic sticks on the 20 degree setting then moved the sticks to the 25 angle then stropped on the leather with white compound then plain leather. I was cutting some line for my boat fenders about a week ago and had touched up the edge on the sticks afterwards so I take credit for the edge, although Kershaw put a nice edge on it originally.
So right now this appears to be my sharpest knife and I am obliged to carry it!!!

Back