Sharpening scissors

Sharpening scissors is exactly the same as sharpening knife blades. When you take the product appart, you basically have two knife blades. The major difference is that scissor blades are thicker and have a more obtuse bevel angle. You can use the existing bevels as a guide.

Hi! Reviving this oldie... So, I'm impressed by what Google finds when I search for sharpening scissors. What is up with all this "info" about cutting steel wool or sandpaper or aluminum foil with scissors to sharpen them? I don't get it. I haven't really seen many people debunk this stuff, but it seems like a terrible idea.

I even notice someone in this thread mention the steel wool thing and nobody objected. Huh? Usually in knife-forums if someone mentions something that deviates even slightly from someone else's obscure opinion they get called out immediately.

If cutting an abrasive sharpens a scissors why don't they just get sharper and sharper with all use?

In the case of scissors sharpening there really is ZERO info even on what anyone is talking about? Like: parts terminology. I can guess at what the bevel and the flat is but I don't know. Shouldn't we make SURE we start with known terms? I assume the 'bevel' is the short grind and the 'flat' is the wide surface. However, scissors typically have a top and a bottom. Do experts treat both the same? If not, what are the proper terms for each? I'm looking at a nice pair right now: the top has a wider bevel than the bottom. Are their functions different? How? I've seen mention of leaving the bottom bevel with a slightly coarser finish so it 'grabs' material. Is this the precise scientific desired result?

I also note that the most recent poster says it's just like sharpening a knife: isn't that a crazy thing to say? To be accurate is essential! So, isn't a scissors like a SINGLE-BEVEL knife? And not at all like "any" knife?

My impression is that we should only clean the flat. So there's that.

Then there's mention of concavity somewhere... Could be an interesting complication for anyone attempting to stone sharpen! How easy is it to determine any concavity? Easy on the big flat. ...Not so easy if it's the short bevel.

Offhand, I would think that controlling the blade angle on the short bevel of a scissor would be about the most difficult angle to accurately control in any sharpening task done by human feel and skill rather than a machine tool setting. There is little reference point to key off of.

Scissors are precision machine tools. Human skill is not involved in their function. This is another reason they're not like "any" knife. ... 2 pieces of metal working together do the cutting. I assume that any slight or micro variation in the bevel angles of either blade would give a ruined scissor and a terrible cut. With a regular knife we can have some wandering of edge angle but if the net result is no detectable dull spots then the edge functions.

Many professionals use scissors (maybe more than who use knives) and need them to be sharpened and the craftsmen who do this know their trade. How can the handyman imitate this adequately? I see the benefits of the polishing wheel approach that has been mentioned a few times here by an expert, but I rarely use a wheel. I enjoy using a two-sided two-grit stone if the result is good, which it is for all my knives. I enjoy wheel-polishing an edge but I find that it degrades like any other even though it does hold up a bit longer. Anyway, I don't normally wheel-polish a frequently used edge except for amusement. However, I would do so for scissors if that is indicated for their standard proper use. (I don't use micro-precision or medical edges very often -- I could see polishing such edges.)

Anyway, it seems like we need still a basic primer in scissors. Based on standards, not guesses. Using exact terms. Exact description of function, etc.

THANKS!

Last edited:
If they come apart with a screw, I take them apart and sharpen each side more like a woodworking chisel than a knife. I'll follow the existing grind angle. Many have a concavity on the underside, so heavy grinding is not a good idea, but a slight bit of cleanup on the burr is all that should be needed anyway. If the previous edge was ground coarse, that's what I'll use as well - if fine, fine etc.

Cutting sandpaper does help a really dull pair of scissors, but sharpening it properly is far better.

Contact Wolff Industries. They will answer any questions you may have about scissor sharpening and provide the correct equipment to do it with.

Offhand, I would think that controlling the blade angle on the short bevel of a scissor would be about the most difficult angle to accurately control in any sharpening task done by human feel and skill rather than a machine tool setting. There is little reference point to key off of.

THANKS!

After stumbling across this thread I went out and tried it. Holding the edge angle of the scissors was easier than any knife I ever sharpened. It stuck to the stone at the right angle like glue. Raised a burr. Cut it off by opening and closing the scissors and now every pair of scissors in my house are as sharp as the day I bought them 😉

After stumbling across this thread I went out and tried it. Holding the edge angle of the scissors was easier than any knife I ever sharpened. It stuck to the stone at the right angle like glue. Raised a burr. Cut it off by opening and closing the scissors and now every pair of scissors in my house are as sharp as the day I bought them 😉

I've sharpened many a scissors, both using the sandpaper method for beaters and the kids scissors, and with stones on a proper progression. It is not difficult freehand compared to items like 1/4 chisels and such.

Only sharpening our own household scissors, I found it quite easy to do and with very satisfactory results just holding the scissors in my left hand and using one of the medium Sharpmaker rods in my right hand. I'm sure there are significantly more complicated issues when sharpening professional barber scissors, but for typical cheap home scissors or kitchen shears the freehand use of the triangular rod worked well.

Yes, definitely tried and proven. But does anyone have a good system for pinking shears? I have DMT stones and paper wheels.
All answers appreciated.

Sorry for my long comment above. I see a couple replies. People are saying the edge angle was easy to hold. WHICH edge angle? I have yet to see in any threads on Google any mention of the top bevel being about 3x as wide as the bottom bevel. Hmmm, seems important! Like: do the top and bottom always have the SAME edge-angle? The big bevel is indeed easy to follow. The tiny lower bevel is NOT! As I rock the blade I can't feel it. If I knew that all scissors use the same angle top and bottom that would be HELPUL info.

I still suggest that there is more voodoo and crazy info out there on scissor sharpening than with other sharpening. Yet it seems likely to be a very impt aspect of sharpening, scissors being perhaps used more daily than other blades.

I see lots of bail-outs for hair scissors -- DIYers telling us to take them to the pro's, that it's too hard for us. Huh?

Also, I can't let this next one go, because it is bonkers. ...There is a lot of physics out there on knife sharpening. Is there any physics justification that can be given or found online that anyone knows about to justify the many links suggesting that we sharpen scissors by dulling them? ...By cutting steel wool, sandpaper, etc.

PS: I'm digging into a couple dull Gingher fabric scissors. I note a big important detail: I'd say their bevels are very different. The big lower thumb-blade bevel is like 45deg and the small upper finger-blade bevel is more like 80deg. So this should be mentioned in any scissors sharpening info. Unless maybe a lot of other brands are different? Then I read a tip that seems interesting that I don't recall seeing here: mark up each bevel w a sharpie-pen before working and that will give good feedback on when you find the right angle to hold while sharpening.

Last edited:
What I have been told is hair scissors are around 41-42 degrees on each side, supposedly very important. For other scissors bevel angles depend on what you are cutting. If one side is steep the other side should be shallow, so the two angles combined should be about the same for most scissors. My take on cutting abrasive stuff to "sharpen" scissors is it roughs up the cutting edges so they seem sharper. I have a pair that I use to cut up Scotchbrite abrasive pads, they just seem to get duller over the years, and they look like utter hell. To remove the burrs when done with the stones hold the blades apart at the tips while you close them, then open them normally. Do this a few times to remove the burrs and burnish the cutting edges before you close the blades as if cutting something. DO NOT close the blades to remove the burrs. Since I polish all my edges the burrs are very small. I don't think bevel size really matters, it is just a function of angle and width of the blade.

I use the TSPROF scissor attachment to sharpen some of my sister's hair cutting shears. She is a hair dresser. I have gotten great results and she is extremely happy with them. Honestly, it was very easy once you set up the jig at the proper angle. I will sharpen her shears, but not for any other hair dressers. If I mess my sister's up, that is one thing. But if I mess up a stranger's shears, that is very different. I do not want someone to claim I messed up their $1500- $2000 scissors, and I surely do not want to have to replace them.

Maybe one day if I get very confident in my skills I might sharpen other people's hair scissors for a bit of extra cash. I am still learning, mostly on my sister's old and backup scissors.

I see lots of bail-outs for hair scissors -- DIYers telling us to take them to the pro's, that it's too hard for us. Huh?
The german style barber scissors has a grind we are quite familliar with from most scissors, more or less straight blades with a chisel edge. There's no rocket science here, if you've got the right stones for scissors cutting hair you can probably sharpen them just fine.

The (supposedly more popular?) japanese grind is a completely diffrent animal. Those have a full convex edge, and the length of the blade edge has a specific radius at 800mm if I recall correctly. I don't know about you, but I seriously doubt I could maintain the convex edge & radius at the correct dimensions & angles while freehand sharpening, and if you want a jig that can do it you need something made specific for those scissors - machines are available, but not cheap. Sure, you can probably get away with freehanding them a couple of times, but after that they might have to go to a professional with the right jig to get it back in working order.

I have kind of started collecting old fabric scissors, tailors shears, call them what you like, I pick them up for equal to $2-3, usually in horrible condition and spend way too much time getting them back in working condition. I've learned alot about how scissors work and have to be shaped, but there's still so much I don't know yet.
The clock is past 3 AM here so I won't be writing about the process now, but if there's interest I might try to put something together later. For now I'll just give you a before and after picture of this ~8½" Rich. A. Herder shear, from Solingen, Germany.

dsc04210.JPG

dsc04339.JPG

The german style barber scissors has a grind we are quite familliar with from most scissors, more or less straight blades with a chisel edge. There's no rocket science here, if you've got the right stones for scissors cutting hair you can probably sharpen them just fine.

The (supposedly more popular?) japanese grind is a completely diffrent animal. Those have a full convex edge, and the length of the blade edge has a specific radius at 800mm if I recall correctly. I don't know about you, but I seriously doubt I could maintain the convex edge & radius at the correct dimensions & angles while freehand sharpening, and if you want a jig that can do it you need something made specific for those scissors - machines are available, but not cheap. Sure, you can probably get away with freehanding them a couple of times, but after that they might have to go to a professional with the right jig to get it back in working order.

I have kind of started collecting old fabric scissors, tailors shears, call them what you like, I pick them up for equal to $2-3, usually in horrible condition and spend way too much time getting them back in working condition. I've learned alot about how scissors work and have to be shaped, but there's still so much I don't know yet.
The clock is past 3 AM here so I won't be writing about the process now, but if there's interest I might try to put something together later. For now I'll just give you a before and after picture of this ~8½" Rich. A. Herder shear, from Solingen, Germany.

dsc04210.JPG

dsc04339.JPG

If you write it, I will read.

Maintaining a convex is mostly unnecessary, and marketing nonsense. You may need to thin behind the apex with repeated honing, though, and good luck explaining to customers that it's not important lol

By the way, guys, the Sharpmaker has a setting for scissors, which I've used on some old scissors I had here. I think they were mostly barber's scissors. Worked fine.

I've also had really good results with Spyderco's 204 Sharpmaker with the scissors sharpening feature. From what I remember Sal Glesser saying on the instructional video when showing this feature on the 204 Sharpmaker is that the main thing you've got to keep in mind is that most all scissors are ground at a 12.5 degree angle. I think that's true with professional hair dresser/barber scissors as well.

Like the one Brother said you mainly want to make sure that all the edges are properly de-burred. But with one of Spyderco's Ultra-Fine stones that's no problem at all.

However if I had a sharpening guide of some sort that was set at the perfect 12.5 degree angle I would probably prefer to use a high quality benchstone. But I have no idea where to get such a piece of sharpening hardware.

If you write it, I will read.
Alrighty then! It's in the middle of the night again and english is my second language, so this might not turn out as understandable as I hope, but if anything is unclear, just go ahead and ask.

As I said, I have got my hands of a number of old fabric shears, or something along those lines - hard to know exactly what they were made for 50+ years after the company that made them went out of business. Just love quality tools of any kind, and if you really know how to sharpen scissors those neglected and abused $2 items might be brought back to life so they match the performance of new $20-200 ones - yes, fabric shears can easily be that expensive. But if they have the wrong kind of damage in the wrong place they may only be good for cutting paper, or sometimes they're not usable at all. Damage such as pitting from rust on the inside edge, the side that slides against the other blade is hard to correct, and bent blades (other than the normal curve that keeps the blades pressed against each other) is hard to straighten.

Quality scissors almost always has a screw as pivot, making the blade tension adjustable and making it possible to take them apart. Just getting them apart can be a challenge, but if you can't turn the screw you can't adjust tension, and it'll probably not cut well - it might be worth spending quite a bit of work getting it loose. Sometimes you have to destroy it, if you can find another screw (and preferably nut) with the same thread you can replace it, you'll probably need to regrind the head so it fits well and you might want to grind the nut fairly thin.
Cheap scissors are usually riveted together. If you need more tension it may be tightened by hammering the rivet, but be careful - there's no easy way to back it of if you go too far.

Here's a pic of one of my screw jobs. :p Old screw on the right, one new screw with reground head and a nut ground to half thickness on the left and one new installed. I was in luck, swedish made scissor with standard M6 thread. Already had everything I needed.

dsc04512.JPG

Moving on to some actual sharpening. If the scissors are in resonable shape, you should only need to regrind the "outside edge". Match the original angle if you've still got it, you know the steel can handle it and it should cut whatever the scissor was meant for well.
If you're sharpening freehand you can rock the scissor back and forth to feel when it lies flat on the existing edge. I have made a jig to hold the scissor - just made out of scrap metal and it's far from perfect, but it is a great help when I have to grind alot - old nicked and rusty blades tend to require that.
I use a fairly coarse stone, the medium side of a coarse/medium combo - something like what I start with on a knife, so it may seem strange for knife people. The idea is that the coarse grinding marks act as teeth, grabbing on to what you're cutting, with a too fine finish it might just slide away instead.
Do remember, I'm talking about fabric and general purpose scissors here, I understand scissors for hair is usually ground quite a bit finer than this. I have never sharpened hair scissors, but I view them as a separate type of tool completely. They are very specialized to work well with hair, and as anything very specialized they probably wouldn't work very well for anything else.

dsc04330.JPG

The inside of the blade... Now, that's a f***ing nightmare, if that's in bad condition. On anything but possibly the cheapest scissors it is hollow ground, while it might appear flat at a quick glance it is actually concave. This ensures only the edge slides against the other blade, reducing friction and reducing problems with items (debris) getting between the blades forcing them apart so it can't cut.

If this is in good shape, all you do after sharpening the outside edge is to get rid of the wire edge. This may be done by laying a fine stone flat across the inside of the blade and drawing it across once or twice, while some people like simply forcing the blades apart so they don't touch when they close the scissor, and then knock the wire edge off when they open the scissor. I prefer using a small washita stone I have.

If the inside of the blade isn't in acceptable condition it may still be fixable, but very much more sensitive than grinding the outside edge. You need a ride line (the line along the edge that the other blade rides against) without damage, that means no nicks or pits from rust. No matter how nice you grind the outside edge, if the ride line is uneven it will never cut well - not in hard to cut material anyway, for paper there are childrens scissors made of plastic so that shouldn't be a problem.

If you don't have to have the peak performance you may simply say f**k it and use relatively fine stones to flatten the inside of the blade a bit. You get a wider ride line, and hopefully you get rid of the damage relatively quickly. For this the scissor has to come apart, as you need to grind evenly along the blades length, including the pivot area you couldn't access if the other blade is still there. Be careful to keep the blade laying flat on the stone, if you round off the cutting edge inside it's scrap metal.

If you want the best performance you can get and have plenty of patience, a curved stone can freshen up the hollow ground side. I use a scythe stone, clamped in a bench vise. Again you need to be careful not to round of the edge, keep it laying "flat".
In this picture I only demonstrate how I do this, I would always take the scissor apart for this. The offset weight of the other blade makes it too hard to keep the blade flat on the stone otherwise. Also, narrow blades (as near the tip on pointy blades) is hard to keep flat.

dsc04348.jpg

The scythe stone usually has a bigger radius than the original grind, making the stone just touch the edges of the blade. It may not be ideal, but it usually gives me a damage free edge while retaining the hollow grind, and I'm happy with that for now.

Here's a picture of a blade that has had some light work with the scythe hone, and finished off quickly with a fine stone, probably the washita, to give it a very narrow kind of polished ride line for minimum friction and no unneccesary wear due to coarseness. You can still se lots of pitting (black) some distance from the edge, but where it counts there's nice, even metal with a great edge.

dsc04335.JPG

There may also be alot to say about the tension of the blades, the curve of the blades pushing them against each other, and many other things, but this is what I've got for now. And what I have written here is what I think and how I do things with the tools I've got. It works well for me, I can't guarantee you get the same results. I've gone down a long road of trial and error, this might help you get to the same results faster but don't expect to get there without a few errors of your own. You often learn more from messing up, than from doing things right.

Back