Sheath idea wanted

Hengelo_77

Basic Member
I have a knife ready for a sheath. Only I have no idea what kind of sheath to make for this one.
What kind would you make?
(leather only, no kydex)

20210925-185009.jpg

I’d do a cross draw Horizontal sheath. Very nice knife!

Very nice knife, I have no experience leather working, just wanted to say love the blade shape.
Whatever Horse say's i'd go with that his sheaths are top tier.

I think it'd look good with a basketweave pattern too. And I agree with the cross draw sheath. I do mine at about 45* angle. Something like this.
Travis_5.JPG

Ya bet!

mx1CnoU.jpg

y94y7sV.jpg

This is what I've personally worn pretty close to a couple decades now in different iterations:

With the wife here when we had our booth set up at the local Rodeo a few weeks back:

7fbnmkv.jpg

Different rodeo but done correctly it can have extreme retention:

6ML0mCN.jpg

Modeling some leggings getting ready to ship to the customer:

eK99K23.jpg

Our friend Lucia helps at the ranch sometimes. She's more from your part of the world. Only Slovakian cowboygirl I know of:

xaiSDVQ.jpg

CrU5Em0.jpg

D2wmfnt.jpg

It just is out of the way but always accessible with either hand. It works for me:

v6fQ4kS.jpg

Whether you are just standing around shooting the breeze:

KD3Rnua.jpg

Or wrestling a calf, I find it very comfortable. Its just right for me:

SktslVJ.jpg

VJNIFk7.jpg

I have a knife ready for a sheath. Only I have no idea what kind of sheath to make for this one.
What kind would you make?
(leather only, no kydex)

20210925-185009.jpg
I think I'd go with a dangling type, if it were my call- it can just hang around, or can be tucked in the pocket to keep it out of the way.

Thnx. This pic gives a good idea.
How is the loop attached on the back?
Where the weld is and above as well?

And Lorien, I thought about a dangler sheath, would fit the style well I think.
Don't know if it is everybody's taste.

dangler makes sense for a rigging knife to me. Ultimately, only one person needs to like it ;)

Since you are asking - ;)

For a knife of that size and shape I prefer a simple formed sheath with a belt loop or a dangler. I like danglers but if a belt loop is the option I'm OK with it - IF - it tilts the knife handle forward 10° or 15° from vertical.

No embellishments necessary to my way of thinking. You have a really fine knife there. :thumbsup:

View attachment 1648606

As much as I like Horsewright's sheaths and photos, in this case I would make a sheath like RayseM posted. I call them puukko style sheaths. I make them for fishing knives. The D-ring makes it hang as needed regardless of the users position or stance.

Thnx. This pic gives a good idea.
How is the loop attached on the back?
Where the weld is and above as well?

And Lorien, I thought about a dangler sheath, would fit the style well I think.
Don't know if it is everybody's taste.
Ya bet! The belt loop is 1.25 inches wide and 4.5"s long when I cut it. I wet the loop and pre fold the bend while wet so as not to crack the leather. While damp I stamp my makers mark on the belt loop near the fold. I skive the unfolded end for about 1.25 inches to about 50 percent. I make a bunch of belt loops all at once and just keep em on hand. The welt is just on the bottom side of the sheath. I'l dampen the sheath to fold it over in half. While its wet I use a Sharpie to draw around the outline of the knife. I leave enough room for the blade and the handle but want it fairly tight at the top of the cam of the Loveless style welt, maybe 3/8s of an inch maybe a little tighter. Once I have this mark made I go over it several times with a rounded stylus. This transfers a dark mark to the exterior of the sheath which tells ya where your stitching line on the welt is gonna be. I do the line about 3/16s to the outside of that line so I can make sure the stitching will stay on the welt. I then place the sheath outside to dry if its sunny as I don't like to glue or stitch while damp. Its a three step sewing process to do one of these sheaths. On the back side about an inch from the mouth of the sheath I'll glue on the folded part of the loop and then stitch it in a box pattern. After I use a saddlers hammer thats dressed very clean and tap down the interior stitches. I'll then fit the welt to my Sharpie line and glue it in. I'll then glue the two sides of the sheath together, sand and then mark my stitching groove. I will stitch the upper part of welt at this time and then I'll mark and glue down the bottom of the loop. I glue it off set towards the tip of the sheath about half the loops width. So in other words the center of the loop will be glued down over towards the tip about half its width. This allows the sheath to ride slightly canted up. Third sewing step is to sew the bottom edge including the belt loop. I make this sewing groove about a 1/4 in from the edge as some folks put a lot of wear and tear there and that distance seems to help. Finish your edges and ya be done. I do bake in the oven all my sheaths after wet molding but thats a different story.

I don't tool Horizontal sheaths because I never know where the center line is gonna be exactly and the tooling needs to be done prior to construction. I could change my construction method to toll it but I don't want to so I don't.

The advantage of the horizontal over the dangler is well...it doesn't dangle. It stays put. Ya can draw it with either hand and it only takes one hand. Same holds true for returning the knife to the sheath. I've known two guys that used Puukos with danglers horseback. Both got stabbed. Different deal I guess.

As much as I like Horsewright's sheaths and photos, in this case I would make a sheath like RayseM posted. I call them puukko style sheaths. I make them for fishing knives. The D-ring makes it hang as needed regardless of the users position or stance.
My fishing adventure always are three day /two night/ I must sleep dressed and ready to jump on bite alarm. Normal sheath is no go for that , I can t sleep on that side so I make it like RayseM posted .BUT I don t like how it bouncing when i need to run........!!! This horizontal one will solve all that .......Now i need to make one !

Very true, but not everybody has a automobile trunk to transport the 30-pack. Some folks only have enough room to carry one at a time.
Why ya think cowboys always drive trucks?

I
My fishing adventure always are three day /two night/ I must sleep dressed and ready to jump on bite alarm. Normal sheath is no go for that , I can t sleep on that side so I make it like RayseM posted .BUT I don t like how it bouncing when i need to run........!!! This horizontal one will solve all that .......Now i need to make one !
I’ve been thinking on doing a tutorial covering them.

Just add an extra belt loop near the bottom so when you are in speed mode you can pass your belt through the 2 loops and have a horizontal carry. You can do that with a stitched loop or make it removable with a chicago screw type arrangement. Best of both worlds.

This example is exaggerated for the purpose of such a small knife but the idea of an extra loop for optional carry to the dangler has great appeal to me.

View attachment 1648919

Back