Sheath Leather

Good quality veg tan from Hermann Oak or Wickett and Craig is roughly the same price per square foot. $7.50 to $10 a square foot plus shipping is what I've seen it at depending if you buy shoulder, bends, or the entire side. You can try some imported hides. They might be a little cheaper, but you get what you pay for. I'm sure other members will chime in.

^^ $10 a sq ft ^^ is not really the best answer for the question the OP asked. ;)

Go browse https://www.tandyleather.com - they have hides that'll work fine for a edc leather level sheath in the $4-$6 sq ft range. Look under 'tooling leather'.

Tandy leather is foreign and it really sucks.. I mean it will make a sheath but hermon oak or Wickett & Craig is so much better quality at close to the same price. You can't buy either online but a quick phone call to either is painless.

Todd

Tandy leather... notice the splotches and wrinkling and lots of imperfections... nice sheaths...

EyvkjAc.jpg

Wickett & Craig... no comparison in quality... these are really nice sheaths. Just the feel of them is 100 fold better.

LSrg3RQ.jpg

Je4qWSl.jpg

lECtc3f.jpg

I've spent a lot of time with Tandy leather and made some good leather with it. I really wish all that time was spent with Wickett & Craig though..

Todd

You guys crack me up .. smh. The OP asked a pretty specific question. He didn't ask you're preferred tannery or your dislikes.
He (I assume the OP is a 'he') asked; best place online to buy veg tan leather at a low price.

Tandy Leather. You can buy a hide online, they offer veg tan, and their prices are low.

P9260758.JPG
P9260759.JPG

Just trying to save him some growing pains. I bet most people start with Tandy, and as most mature switch to good leather that really doesn't cost that much more...

Build two sheaths exactly the same but one with Wickett & Craig the other with Tandy, then ask your customer which one they like better. Furthermore, take a 10 year comparison.

To each his own,

Todd

To the OP, if you just have to order online, I have ordered from Montana Leather Company and their leather is way better than Tandy. Still not as good as W&C or Herman Oak but really nice leather...

Todd

^^ $10 a sq ft ^^ is not really the best answer for the question the OP asked. ;)

Go browse https://www.tandyleather.com - they have hides that'll work fine for a edc leather level sheath in the $4-$6 sq ft range. Look under 'tooling leather'.

I don't know what Tandy location you buy from. The cheapest 7-9 oz. veg tan I've seen at the Nyack, NY location is their "craftsman grade", it's $6.00 a square foot without tax. It's imported and poor quality. You have to look at every piece of leather they sell in the store to try to find a decent piece. I can only imagine the inferior piece the'll send you if the OP ordered online. Their 3 oz. is more than $4 a square foot without the membership. If the OP spends $150 per year for an Elite membership the price drops. So, in the long run, you have the OP spending a heck of a lot more per square foot for inferior veg tan. As Todd said, just trying to save him some trouble down the road.

Last edited:
Todd .. he didn't ask for any of your value experience and insights. He asked for 3 things; online, veg tan, best price. Why are you continuing to decipher more from it? smh. Basic communication skills here ..

High Standard, I'm in Atlanta - so there's two Tandy warehouses I can cherry pick from, but the OP asked for online .. Tandy has single shoulders (7sft) from 4oz to 9oz for $34.95 .. online. I'll do the math for you, it's $5 a sq ft. Maybe you should start shopping online too?

Tandy leather... notice the splotches and wrinkling and lots of imperfections... nice sheaths...

EyvkjAc.jpg

Wickett & Craig... no comparison in quality... these are really nice sheaths. Just the feel of them is 100 fold better.

LSrg3RQ.jpg

Je4qWSl.jpg

lECtc3f.jpg

I've spent a lot of time with Tandy leather and made some good leather with it. I really wish all that time was spent with Wickett & Craig though..

Todd
Todd .. he didn't ask for any of your value experience and insights. He asked for 3 things; online, veg tan, best price. Why are you continuing to decipher more from it? smh. Basic communication skills here ..

High Standard, I'm in Atlanta - so there's two Tandy warehouses I can cherry pick from, but the OP asked for online .. Tandy has single shoulders (7sft) from 4oz to 9oz for $34.95 .. online. I'll do the math for you, it's $5 a sq ft. Maybe you should start shopping online too?

What's with the attitude. You sound angry. I'm perfectly capable of doing math. I'm glad you have two Tandy's and can cherry pick the piece you want. Most of us don't have one within reasonable driving distance. I wonder what the OP would be sent if he takes your advice and orders it from tandy. I'd rather spend the extra few dollars a square foot knowing what I'll get every time instead of rolling the dice with online Tandy. Just my opinion. Continue to cherry pick from Tandy, I'll continue to buy what I like.

Mr. bonafide, I am impressed by your vast experience and knowledge (and the fact that you are a moderator even if it is within your own maker's forum).

You seem to be dwelling on the fact that the OP asked for VegTan, Cheap and On Line all of which is true, but the very nature of this particular community of like minded people is that we try to guide newer members based on our own experiences and keep them from making mistakes we have in the past.

While you have what appears to be a very successful venture in medium to lower priced goods with a loyal but limited group of followers, it would also appear that you come up way short in long term experience that some of us here have. Myself as an example.....started this leather stuff in 1951 and now 66 years later have experience in just about anything you can mention made of leather, although for the past 13 or so years I have specialized in just knife sheaths.

There are two kinds of leather professionals. Those who take pride in, and care for the quality of their work and sadly those who don't because they have other motivations. I'll leave it to you to decide where you line up.

Those who take pride in their work and the quality of that work generally seek out the best available leathers and the price is a secondary or less consideration.

Now I am guilty of automatically assuming that people who venture into this forum seeking advice, information and what not would really like to be the best that they can be (eventually), and when I answer questions, I don't nit pick the semantics. If they fail too ask the right questions or on a trail leading to possible disaster based on their inexperience, then I, as others here, try to get them a little more centered. That is what was taking place here.

I'll leave you with two thoughts which I believe are true.

"If you start with shit, the end result will still likely look like shit"

"The most expensive leather you will ever buy is the cheapest you can find". ( meaning do overs, lower yield because of hidden flaws, bad dye and/or oil job, and finally back to the first quote.)

Best Regards and with respect,

Paul

Yup...

Thank you Paul. I was going respond but he is set on being a jerk. No doubt he will reply in like to your awesome remarks.

How boring this place would be if we answered "Tandy Leather" to every question...

Todd

Bonafide. The reason I didn't post an online source to the OP was, going back I was contacted by another Moderator telling me I couldn't post a link in one of my past posts to an outside vendor that hasn't paid the fee.
I just figured you knew that as a Moderator. But, I guess not.
So in your words "He asked for 3 things; online, veg tan, best price." You just broke your own rules if Tandy's not a paid vendor.
All the best.

Well said Paul.
Yup...

Thank you Paul. I was going respond but he is set on being a jerk. No doubt he will reply in like to your awesome remarks.

How boring this place would be if we answered "Tandy Leather" to every question...

Todd
Todd, by the way, real nice geometric work on those sheaths as well as the rest of the work.

Thanks for your input Paul. Sorry, I didn't read it in it's entirety due to your opening statement of tactics that seem to be centered on rudeness and abrasive .. then go on to be insulting on a personal as well as professional level at me.

With your decades of experience .. and you're never one to keep a chance to pat yourself on the back with that, did you ever answer the OPs simple question? .. or did your entire reply center on you being rude to me?

Remove the Tandy Leather link if it bothers you so badly. Especially if you cannot remove your focus from it or your attempts to divert the topic from 'online, veg tan, best prices' topic to soley focus on being an absolute authority to all who meander into your realm.

Bud

Bud, my first inclination was to just let this die on its own, but I need to clarify a few points.

1. I did not answer the OP's question because I don't use the cheaper import leathers and I have no idea where to find them on line or any where else. In fact my only response to this thread was my response to you.

2. Decades of experience comes only one way. One week, one year at a time. Every one has to earn their own experience the same way......no short cuts. I was lucky enough to have some really great mentors to smooth out the road for me. I try to share that with anyone who wants it.

3. It was not my intention to appear to be rude to you and it is not now. Rudeness does in fact beget rudeness I think. Re-read some of your earlier posts here. You were considerably less than cordial in your replies.

4. The balance of my post above (which you say you did not read) was more general and generic in nature and not aimed specifically at you, however if you identified with parts of it, that's on you, not me. My comment about your pricing and market came from taking a long look at your very own web site, and your maker's forum here on Blade Forums.

5. I did not mention the Tandy link. I don't believe I could care less about it. In fact I purchased some Barge and other supplies from John, one of the Atlanta LF/Tandy managers at the blade show and he was kind enough to deliver there at the show in their booth.

6. For what it's worth, if you think I was rude to you, please accept my apology. Once again, not my intent.

7. That's all the time I want to devote to this, so you may have the very last word.....I won't be back.

Best regards and respect,

Paul

Last edited:
I'll fall in line with the others who are advising against Tandy for leather, ESPECIALLY when ordering online.
However, to the OP I will add this... If you aren't ready or looking to buy premium leathers such as Herman Oak or Wickett and Craig, take a look at Hidehouse. Their economy grade leather is multitudes better than my experience of hand picking leather at Tandy, for a fraction of the price. Give them a call, tell them what you are looking for and they'll hook you up.

Chris

Paul,

1. Good job. Why did you even respond to the thread if it was not to answer the OP? The OP did not ask for your personal preferences or why you think he should spend more money, etc, and we don't need to restate the obvious (online, veg tan, best prices.)

2. I don't care about your experiences Paul, or your neediness to tell everyone about it. That's your insecurities, not mine.

3. Your reply and intentions were most certainly aimed at being specifically rude to me and now condescending.

4. You're contradicting yourself.. and see my #3.

5. Congrats. I buy leather from multiple sources too. That really adds nothing to this discussion.

6. Sounds heart felt. Thanks Paul.

7. Sounds good.

Have a blessed day.

Bonafide, You crack me up talking about how other members are insulting and rude. Your post to mine was rude, inconsiderate, and insulting by stating "Tandy has single shoulders (7sft) from 4oz to 9oz for $34.95 .. online. I'll do the math for you, it's $5 a sq ft. Maybe you should start shopping online too?" You as a so called "Moderator" set the tone for this post and broke the rules of the forum as well as the insults. I'm happy that the other Moderator's on this forum act as one. You should re-read my first post. I mentioned 3 options for the OP and clearly stating that you get what you pay for. You decided to use the $10 a square foot to make your point when I clearly posted $7.50 to $10 a square foot for far superior veg tan. It's amazing you linked the only piece of 7-9 leather on Tandy's website at that price. I guess you missed all the other junk leather they have for $9 a square foot and up. I'm happy I wasn't the OP and took your advice to buy that piece of leather you mentioned. I'm sure I would have been disappointed when it arrived at my door and frustrated when I tried working with it. It's clear you don't like what you believe to be insults by others. Maybe you should practice what you preach and avoid insulting others first. I've been a member for a few months, and never have seen a single post from you on the sheath sub-forum offering any help or guidance to others. I thank God for people like Paul, Dave, Todd, Chris, and others willing to give their knowledge and years of experience of what works and what doesn't to all the new leather workers to avoid the pitfalls they have encountered. Maybe you should re-read all your posts and focus on the tonal quality of your words. I as well are done with you.

Back