Sheath Scratching Bolster

A side-firing auto w/o a sheath is dangerous loose in the pocket. My uncle's a cop and has seen pocket opening and I've read it in the paper as well.

it would be easier if Buck made them with a safety. they didnt though they made the sheath the safety for carrying.

brownshoe is right. it may not have happened to ya yet, but it will. sheath or a safety is required on side opener autos for safe carry. especialy this Buck 110 or 112 auto. they way its designed without the sheath or a sheath to stop opening it's very dangerous. those who argue against are playing with fire. they will get burnt eventually.

I guess the sheath does scratch. I'll pick up a sheath and move the snap behind the liner.

it would be easier if Buck made them with a safety. they didnt though they made the sheath the safety for carrying.

brownshoe is right. it may not have happened to ya yet, but it will. sheath or a safety is required on side opener autos for safe carry. especialy this Buck 110 or 112 auto. they way its designed without the sheath to stop opening it's very dangerous. those who argue against are playing with fire. they will get burnt eventually.
I wouldn't ever consider carrying this without some form of sheath. I was surprised when I first handled it that it didn't have a lock. The sheath serves the purpose though so I assume it keeps production costs down and they can offer the knife at a lower price point as a result of not having the added mechanism. After tax I paid 150 for the knife. For me, I don't think I'd shell out much more than that.

I wouldn't ever consider carrying this without some form of sheath. I was surprised when I first handled it that it didn't have a lock. The sheath serves the purpose though so I assume it keeps production costs down and they can offer the knife at a lower price point as a result of not having the added mechanism. After tax I paid 150 for the knife. For me, I don't think I'd shell out much more than that.

that's good. I was posting that topic less for you and more for others who stumble in later on. it's a big deal to try to educate people who arent auto collectors and carriers who think safeties and sheath carry are not needed.

george schrade tried to make recessed button side opener autos over 100 years ago and stopped cause he figured out way back then, before most here were even born, that they were very dangerous. course the Buck isnt a recessed button that's why they give the sheath as the safety. only auto I'd carry in a pocket without an extra safety design is the lever lock. even with empty pockets except for the knife.

can ya post a pic of the sheath from the back side. I guessing it's the Mexican made earlier version like mine that scratches.

that's good. I was posting that topic less for you and more for others who stumble in later on. it's a big deal to try to educate people who arent auto collectors and carriers who think safeties and sheath carry are not needed.

george schrade tried to make recessed button side opener autos over 100 years ago and stopped cause he figured out way back then, before most here were even born, that they were very dangerous. course the Buck isnt a recessed button that's why they give the sheath as the safety. only auto I'd carry in a pocket without an extra safety design is the lever lock. even with empty pockets except for the knife.

can ya post a pic of the sheath from the back side. I guessing it's the Mexican made earlier version like mine that scratches.
It's American made
BoJPvTy.jpg

I have an auto and the sheath was doing Tyd same thing,I quickly added a small felt over the snap like buck sheaths used to come with and problem solved,send it in for spa treatment ,thinife will come back looking new.

My first Buck 110 auto was scratched very deeply by the sheath. It really irritated me.

I loved that knife-it was perfect until I tried using the sheath for the first time. I sent it to Buck and they exchanged it for a new one. But, the new one was not near as nice as the first one.

To the OP. If you would like a proper sheath made , ide be happy to make one for you free of charge if you decide to keep it . Leather craft Is a big hobby of mine . And these babys should be kept in a well done sheath ! That will be my good deed for the week if you decide to take me up on the offer . Message me over a picture of something you like . Check out Google. I personally like carrying my elite in my old original style quick draw for the 110 folders . Works well in the closed position as well. And still looks like it did new !
Cheers.

Maybe a dumb question but why are the sheaths scratching the 110 autos?I haven't heard standard 110s being scratched.Why drop the felt disc?

The first thing I do with the auto-knife sheaths is to install a felt patch over the exposed metal.

Then I grab the sheath in my hand and use it for a hand exerciser, until it's more rounded and softer.

As far as the deep scratches ... use an abrasive polish like Metal Glo ( Flitz doesn't have enough abrasives).
Work the polish in the same direction as the scratches.

When the scratches are gone , use a Sunshine Cloth to remove the fine scratches , the bolsters will look like new.
The 112 in the picture is satin finished, but I have a regular 112 auto too.

112_E.jpg

112_A.jpg

Back