Shepherd of the Hills knife show/Branson Mo.

SDS

This is just a heads up for anyone in the area or within driving distance of Branson, MO. There is going to be a knife show/hammer in at the Shepherd of the Hills in Branson on June 27 and 28 from 9 am to 3 pm. This is shaping up to be a really good show and admission is free.

There are going to be several forges going as well as a cutting competition that John Fitch is going to be emcee'ing (sp?). Some of the other makers' whose names I have heard will be there are Jerry Fisk, John Fitch, Harvey King, Ray Kirk, Jim Krause, Bill Miller, Mike Miller, Jody Muller, Rusty Polk, Jerry Rados, Kyle Royer, Perry Stanford, & Brion Tomberlin.

This should be a really great show. I'll show a few of the knives I have been working on to take to this show below. I have a lot of work to finish up in time and that is part of the reason I haven't been on here much lately. Like everyone else I just don't have enough hours in the day to get everything done that I want to.

211.jpg

This is just a group picture of about half of what I hope to have finished up.

213.jpg

This is a rather large D2 bowie that will have an elk roll handle with copper guard and buttcap and a bois d'arc spacer. The assembly on this one is giving me fits but I'm getting close.

If anyone needs any information about the show let me know and if I don't have an answer I'll find out for you. Also, if you do manage to make it to the show please stop by my table and introduce yourself.

Thanks for looking,
Shawn S.

SDS

Shawn a few things I can add for you is to have a lot of demos at the show. Gary has it set up with three forges going and a grinder to do demos on. Jerry Fisk is also bringing up a cutting demo table. i think they will switch every 1/2 hour or so so you can see a lot of different techniques in forging. Ray kirk will have one forge and Uncle Al will bring another one. i THINK WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A LOT OF FUN. Mike Miller

Thanks Mike, I had forgotten about those things. I'm looking forward to this show.
I need to get busy on some sheaths now. I have a couple more knives to finish up on but the sheath work is what is going to kick my butt.

SDS

Guys he brought that by the coffee shop the other day. The Ironwood on it is outstanding . It is really nice and the wood has birdseyes in the ironwood. MIKE

Thanks guys. I tried a new finish on that piece of ironwood and I really like the way it turned out. I'll be using it on more handles. That piece of quilted maple next to it is really nice as well but it's difficult to pick it up in photos.

Mike, I'll be calling you in a bit about the show.
SDS

Getting down to the wire. I'm in sheath mode now. I'll post up pictures when I get a break in the action.

SDS

Preview of what I will be taking to the show.

001-5.jpg

Group shot

002-7.jpg

A little whittler I whipped up. :)

007-4.jpg

One of those mistakes that turned out kind of neat. This has a copper wash over damascus. The copper was dissolved in the FC solution prior to etching the damascus and it got deposited on the blade. It seems to be pretty durable. I could get it to come off if really scrubbed it hard with 600 grit sandpaper for awhile. Other than that it seems to be on there to stay.

more..........

010-4.jpg

013-4.jpg

014-3.jpg

I can't bring myself to throw out those little scraps that are too small or odd shaped for knives. These got a really long etch and have a very deep texture to them. Almost like really old driftwood.

004-7.jpg

003-2.jpg

A couple more group shots.

Thanks for looking,
SDS

You sure do some Beautiful Work Shawn, I'm not to far from Branson Missouri ! Well It would be quite the Drive but that Is some Beautiful Country ! I sure like your style of Knife Makeing,

Thank you very much for the kind words. It's shaping up to be one heckuva show. If you are the least bit inclined I think you will thoroughly enjoy it. I am kind of hoping that I get a table in the back, far far away from most of the makers that will be there. The caliber of knives that will be for sale will be remarkeable.

If you do happen to make it by please stop and introduce yourself. I'd love to get to put some faces to the screen names on here.

SDS

Thank you very much for the kind words. It's shaping up to be one heckuva show. If you are the least bit inclined I think you will thoroughly enjoy it. I am kind of hoping that I get a table in the back, far far away from most of the makers that will be there. The caliber of knives that will be for sale will be remarkeable.

If you do happen to make it by please stop and introduce yourself. I'd love to get to put some faces to the screen names on here.

SDS

Well the way It look's now I'm gonna be Busy this Weekend with a Big Swap Meet, I was sure hoping to make that long Drive to Southern Missouri, I hope you do Good at the Show In Sale's ! And when you get back make sure you show on your Forum here or In the Knife Maker's For Sale section what you dont sell down there, If I do Good at the Swap Meet, I'll have some extra Cash and I see quite a few Knive's In your selection that sure enough are calling my name ! Enjoy yourself at The Shepherd Of The Hill's Knife Show, And If you can get Lot's of picture's at the Show,

Wish you could make it down but I sure understand how busy things can get. I got all of the knives sharpened up and packed away ready to head that way in the morning. Here is a quick pic of the big one I'm taking...

003_renamed_9465.jpg

and a bit better picture of the MUK knives...

012_renamed_23635.jpg

It would be nice to think I'd sell out but there is some steep competition at this show. I'm sure I'll have some left over to bring home. I'll be taking the camera and trying to take pictures too. This should be a blast.

SDS

Like I said you do some Beautuful Work ! With Knive's like those and the other's I see In your Sale's selection, You need a Table Up toward's the Front entrance In the right hand Corner under a bright light ! I'm a Huge Fan of Big Blade's the Top Stag Handled Chooper/Bowie Style Is a Beauty, But them Combat Tactical Style MUK's with the Survival Sheath's are Looking Real Good "I Like Them !

Day one over. It's a hot son of a gun out there!! The show is set up in a pavilion which does have ceiling fans which helps a lot but it's still hot. Not nearly as hot as it was down by the forges though. Those poor guys were killing themselves but they were doing demo's off and on all day.

I got to see some incredible knives today and when I get back home I'll post up some pictures. There is a lot of talent here and it was a blast to talk knives all day.

If anyone stops by tomorrow be sure to introduce yourself.

SDS

Day one over. It's a hot son of a gun out there!! The show is set up in a pavilion which does have ceiling fans which helps a lot but it's still hot. Not nearly as hot as it was down by the forges though. Those poor guys were killing themselves but they were doing demo's off and on all day.

I got to see some incredible knives today and when I get back home I'll post up some pictures. There is a lot of talent here and it was a blast to talk knives all day.

If anyone stops by tomorrow be sure to introduce yourself.

SDS

I know you had a Great time, Even with the High Heat, I'll bet them Guy's at the Forge was Drinking "Lot's Of Ice Water !" I cant wait to see some picture's from the Show, And If buy chance you brought some of them Beautiful Knive's Home that didnt sell, Let's see what you got left ! I'm still wanting one of the MUK'S, I'll bet your wore out ! I know Long Trip's In the Heat can take It's toll on a person, I Hope you did Good at the Show !

Well after a wild ride I'm finally home. Day two was better weather and I even got to forge out my first knife. Brion Tomberlin invited me to join him in forging out a couple of knives and it was a blast. Looks like I need to get my forge fired up. That was just fun.

I headed home and my truck broke down about 250 miles from home. It only took me about 26 hours to make what was supposed to be a 6 hour trip. A broken truck, two broken come-along's, two blown tires, two broken jacks, a few hours sleeping in the walmart parking lot waiting on the tire shop to open........finally made it home.

Anyway, the show was a ton of fun. I'll get some pictures posted up tonight.

Snake Jr, I still have the MUK's, if your interested in one of them shoot me a pm or email at shawn@sdsknifeworks.com

SDS

Back