Sheriff Longmire's Knife - Buck110

Really cool that the Buck 110 of TV was the author's own! Although a Case pocket knife is mentioned in a couple of the older books, in "The Highwayman" (2016), Longmire gets more specific:
"I continued to peel my apple with my old Case Russ-Lock." (page 59).

As noted above, the books are considerably different than the TV show. The books are told in first person, from Longmire's point of view. He is much more humorous and light-hearted in the books than the more strict and serious Longmire of TV. They are always a good read.

--Larry

Mr. Johnson must be a knife guy. Here he is with a knife clipped to his pocket.

robert-taylor-actor-news.jpg

And no reason why Longmire can't have a couple of Case knives and a Buck! Man of the West needs a knife and some spares!

--Larry

Just finished Season 5. Gotta say, I am very disappointed that Longmire's 110 was not used or seen throughout the entire season. :(

I am very disappointed that Longmire's 110 was not used or seen throughout the entire season. :(

Well, it really isn't a show about the knife, not like the Lash LaRue movies with his bullwhip.

Bert

Neat that the 110 is personally owned.

And I was going to say it has to be a Buck. I mean he carries a Colt 1911 & a Winchester 94, not some "off brands". ;)

Had to be a Buck (no disrespect to other brands.)

I've watched the series and really enjoyed it.
Someone mentioned how good the Longmire novels are.
I started reading them from the first one written back in 2004, have read each one in order written, and only have three left to read out of about 15 books., not a blonde
Personally, I have enjoyed the novels way more than the TV series.

I'm glad I watched the series first though. I think that whoever cast the characters did an excellent job at casting Walt, Ruby, Lucian and Vic (except that in the books Vic is a dark haired Italian, not a blonde)...and okay with Henry.
All the other characters seem much different to me, but that's okay.

I like seeing Walt use the Buck 110 in the series, but only a Case pocket knife has been mentioned being used in the first 12 to 13 novels.

Winchester 94, Colt 1911 and Buck 110........this is a man after my own heart.
(Also, Vic is hot and Henry is fascinating.)
Yes, the show has a few technical mistakes here and there but it's better than most.
Guess I'm gonna have to read those books.
:)

Tom,

Glad you guys noticed, it’s mine…

All the best,
Craig

And now we know. :)

Craig Johnson seems to have quite a presence online. On another forum someone asked about Longmire's wrist watch and he posted that in the books he used an Illinois pocket watch.

Chad

I still haven't watched the show. Someone on a gun forum just mentioned it the other day as they were talking about his 1911. I'm going to have to check it out to see what I'm missing.

I'm almost through the first book, "The Cold Dish."
Johnson is a good writer and storyteller.......that's the good news.
Bad news is that if you have any real knowledge of guns--his flaunting of his ignorance will spoil it for you.
I don't know why a good writer would do such an abysmally poor job of researching his firearms writing, but it's nothing less than pathetic. I guess he figures he can get away with it because there are so few readers left that know guns and ballistics.
The 45-70 Sharps Rifle plays a huge part in the plot--as a long range sniper rifle.

The fun starts at the initial murder scene when they find a spent bullet with no rifling on it and eventually conclude (through reasoning based on pure fantasy and ignorance) that the killing was done from 500 yards with a smooth-bore Sharps rifle. It gets worse from there and you just want to skip through the ballistic flights of fancy.

The culmination is when Walt shoots the killer from an estimated 700 yards (offhand, no rest) with one shot from an antique rifle of the same type.
Now.......knowing that the bullet drop would be 50 or 60 feet at that range and the sights would blot out the target--how would any human being manage to make a hit on the first shot.......or the fourth or maybe the fifth or tenth as you walked those big bullets onto the target--IF you could see where they were hitting? Which he couldn't, since he admittedly couldn't even identify his target as a man when he first realized something was out there.
His mistakes on the 1911 are pretty much at the same level.......totally disruptive.
But.......he tells good stories, that's for sure. He's worth reading.
You just have to grit your teeth at the firearms errors.
Johnson.......good Gawd, man--do some research.

To be fair, there is a hint that the shot was guided by Cheyenne Ancestors who traveled with the old rifle he was using and were his mysterious helpers all through the case. It's in keeping with the mystical and supernatural thread that runs through the Longmire mysteries. It doesn't explain other amazingly long distance shots described in the story, however.......and it fails as a bit overly mystical here.

Didn't they shoot Buffalo at long distances with 45-70? Extremely long barrel rifles of course. Yes, 500+ yards is ridiculous, I can't see that far on a clear day.

Well, there are a lot of stories of long shots in the old days (flukes and some highly exaggerated) and, of course, modern day shooters shoot at incredibly long distances.
The key (with such a rainbow trajectory) is knowing the exact range and knowing your rifle well or being able to spot your hits and walk them onto your target. In contemporary long range contests the targets are at set ranges and our modern rangefinders make even some hunting shots at ranges beyond 200 yards ok for the experts.
But most of the stories of old time miracle shots are just miracle stories.

^^
I have a rifle that is capable of reaching out to 2000 yards (1760 is a mile). I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an animal at 1000 yards in good conditions. Specifically less than 10 mph crosswinds.
As for shooting with open sights, 200 yards is a lot easier than you'd think, I've seen people shoot 300 with a pistol. Hell, jerry michulek hit a balloon at 1000 yards with a 9mm revolver with a red dot sight on it...
you don't have to be an expert, you just have to have good marksmanship fundimentals.

Back