Shipping knives to Canada

Ok, thanks folks. This person is in Alberta and is interested in a Bowie. Doesn't sound like it should be a problem.

When I fill out the shipping information at USPS is it as simple as entering the address and paying the postage on my end? Will the customer have to pay duty fees to get it through customs, or any other kind of hassle I need to inform the customer about?

I’m in Alberta. You won’t have any problem shipping it. Customs charges are hit or miss. I get charged extra on 1/4 packages.

H
Hey

I am a lawyer in Canada who practises criminal defense work regularly.

The 3 main Illegal Blades in Canada are:

1. Spring assisted and Switch-Blade style knives. While we have been known to tolerate a limited "tight" spring assist system, switch-blades are a big illegal item;

2. Balisong Knives; and

3. Credit Card Knives.

There are some in the quasi-questionable range like belt concealed knives and push-daggers but these are such a rarity it doesn't ever pose a problem.

Hunting, skinning, Bowie and regular folding knives are all fine.

If you or anyone else ever have a specific knife legality question, feel free to PM me anytime.
Hi Marc. I know this is a fairly old thread but I've just stumbled across it in search of some help with this exact topic about the legalities of what constitutes "prohibited" for folding knives. Please please could you assist me as I am moving to Canada in the next two or so months. I really don't want to get rid of my collection if I don't have to but I will if it means not having a issue entering the border. I have tried contacting to CBSA to help but they just quoted their law found on their website which to me is sort of vague.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I am Canadian and I know ballisongs and autos are prohibited. Some people have had issues getting flippers across the border, but I have not. My EDC is a ZT 0566, no issues. I am a 55 yo male in a rural area, cities will be different.
what part are you moving to?

If you are shipping a folding knife to Canada that is not explicitly prohibited under the definition of a prohibited weapon under the Criminal Code, Section 84, then just tighten the pivot down hard. Any time I have had a knife shipped to me either one I have bought, or by a customer to be modified, I have always asked for this, and each time the knife arrived without a problem.
Hey I hope you get this message, I am looking to buy a Hinderer off of a private seller in new York and have the knife shipped to Canada, if I tighten the pivot tightened before shipping, do you think I’ll have a problem?

I only know the experiences I've related. Good luck!

I am from Ontario and I have been told not to get flippers from some that claim that theirs were confiscated. From what I hear Canadian Customs just don’t follow the letter of the law and take anything they feel is against the law. This has kept me from risking it.

Though this is not my personal experience and only what I have been told. Fixed blades don’t seem to be an issue

A note to Fucxs:
Welcome to Shop Talk.
Marc hasn't been around in over a year, so I doubt he will be answering your question. It is best to post a question in a new thread and link the old one for reference.

Stacy, just FYI, Blues Blues banned that account, and advised the user to create a new one with a more appropriate username.

If you are shipping a folding knife to Canada that is not explicitly prohibited under the definition of a prohibited weapon under the Criminal Code, Section 84, then just tighten the pivot down hard. Any time I have had a knife shipped to me either one I have bought, or by a customer to be modified, I have always asked for this, and each time the knife arrived without a problem.
Hey David, does that work for flippers too? I'm interested in a flipper knife that doesn't seem to be held by any Canadian retailers anymore, and so I'm just trying to find a safe way to get it.

I am Canadian and I know ballisongs and autos are prohibited. Some people have had issues getting flippers across the border, but I have not. My EDC is a ZT 0566, no issues. I am a 55 yo male in a rural area, cities will be different.
Yo any tips on getting your flippers? I'm interested in certain flippers like zt and kershaw, some of which not in any Canadian retailers

Yo how did you get that zt over?

Hey David, does that work for flippers too? I'm interested in a flipper knife that doesn't seem to be held by any Canadian retailers anymore, and so I'm just trying to find a safe way to get it.

I don't know as I don't keep an eye on or order flippers from across the border. Good luck.

I don't know as I don't keep an eye on or order flippers from across the border. Good luck.
I see, well thanks though, I still have a few things I'm looking into, I'm a little paranoid to trust the limited canadians selling it, as I really don't want to find out one day it's a clone.

Back