Shirogorov alternatives

A Laconico Keen and a Shiro F3 make a great pair for a light and heavy cutter set. I'm enamored by the symmetry between the two. They're also both styling beauties. I need to add a CRK Impinda for legal carry. And maybe a Skaha II just because. There are lots of lightweight 3.5-inch folders but not so many heavy 4s like the F3. There can be a big difference in that half inch when it goes wider.

Last edited:
A Laconico Keen and a Shiro F3 make a great pair for a light and heavy cutter set. I'm enamored by the symmetry between the two. They're also both styling beauties. I need to add a CRK Impinda for legal carry. And maybe a Skaha II just because. There are lots of lightweight 3.5-inch folders but not so many heavy 4s like the F3. There can be a big difference in that half inch.
Another analogous pairing would be the Skaha II and Sander Barbus. The Barbus has a 4-inch cutting edge, weighs 3.95 oz, and drops shut with a pleasant resonant sound.
8ZxRCt6.jpg

ehsAhY9.jpg

This is still an interesting topic to me. At this point in time, I’m not interested in loading up more “other” EDC knives. I love the Keen enough that my daily carry is set. So, I’m looking at something special and different.

My hesitation with Shiros is because of the loose bearings, ultra early lock up, and questions about how universally useful their pocket clips are. I’m not looking for a catch and release, or a safe queen. I want something that will be a special change of pace, that I’d use when it was with me. I want to be able to trust it, live with it, and maintain it.

Cheburkov Scouts are intriguing, but I haven’t heard if the bearings are loose or caged. The Specter is extremely appealing, but not easy to get. I thought about a CKF SSE or even a Baugi, each of which are available now, but neither feels quite right.

For now, the Megalodon 2017 is my ffg action monster.

Another analogous pairing would be the Skaha II and Sander Barbus. The Barbus has a 4-inch cutting edge, weighs 3.95 oz, and drops shut with a pleasant resonant sound.
8ZxRCt6.jpg

tenor.gif

Shame on you! I didn't want a Skaha...really didn't but this...looks...really..nice. *grumbles*

tenor.gif

Shame on you! I didn't want a Skaha...really didn't but this...looks...really..nice. *grumbles*
Sorry about that! Especially because there's a substantial wait between getting on the list and being able to place an order for a Skaha.

The good news is that it's only recently that the CF scales were an available option, and they're very nice – good things come to those who wait.

This is still an interesting topic to me. At this point in time, I’m not interested in loading up more “other” EDC knives. I love the Keen enough that my daily carry is set. So, I’m looking at something special and different.

My hesitation with Shiros is because of the loose bearings, ultra early lock up, and questions about how universally useful their pocket clips are. I’m not looking for a catch and release, or a safe queen. I want something that will be a special change of pace, that I’d use when it was with me. I want to be able to trust it, live with it, and maintain it.

Cheburkov Scouts are intriguing, but I haven’t heard if the bearings are loose or caged. The Specter is extremely appealing, but not easy to get. I thought about a CKF SSE or even a Baugi, each of which are available now, but neither feels quite right.

For now, the Megalodon 2017 is my ffg action monster.
The Megalodon is great. Its blade greatly resembles that of the F3.

On my two Shiros, lockup is early but completely reliable. I keep my Shiros in a “pocket caddy” but have had no trouble with the clips.

Specter availability is limited, but fortunately the Holts have offered some via lottery on most Mondays lately.

I would buy five or six spyderco Militarys. There OP my friend you got my alternatives to shiro.

I’d kiss you right now.

...if you were my fiancée.

Gonna have to settle for a handshake and my thanks, b00ner.

qn2sxhO.gif

No problem, I am looking into a scout too so I was looking for as much stuff as I could find. I don't mind IKBS but it wouldn't be my preference. I am unsure if I wanted an inlay Scout or a Milled One.

I respect you for marching to the beat of your own xylophone. Definitely the kind of guy who proposes with five or six necklaces instead of a ring.
:p

Well imo shiros are massively overpriced and hence my honest opinion. That being said, at least now it looks still safe to buy them but just watch out the bubble bursts.

BTW sometimes a necklace is better/safer than a ring;)

The Megalodon is great. Its blade greatly resembles that of the F3.

On my two Shiros, lockup is early but completely reliable. I keep my Shiros in a “pocket caddy” but have had no trouble with the clips.

Specter availability is limited, but fortunately the Holts have offered some via lottery on most Mondays lately.
I second the lockup comment. Never had a problem with mine. I wouldn't consider them all early either, apparently most will travel to 100 percent in use (The lock only travels inward so far and meets a stop). This is on the F-95 version. I think other models differ (neon/F3).

Last edited:
:p

Well imo shiros are massively overpriced and hence my honest opinion. That being said, at least now it looks still safe to buy them but just watch out the bubble bursts.

BTW sometimes a necklace is better/safer than a ring;)

That’s fair, and I respect your honesty. Whether I agree with any particular perspective or not, I prefer that people feel comfortable speaking freely.

I’m not worried about bubbles or resale value. I don’t do the “catch and release” dance. Today’s buys are tomorrow’s classics, IMO.

Typically unobtanium, but the CKF MILK is absolutely on par with production Shiro's. I have one and love it. Lately, I've been thoroughly enjoying my Laconico Keen.

That’s fair, and I respect your honesty. Whether I agree with any particular perspective or not, I prefer that people feel comfortable speaking freely.

I’m not worried about bubbles or resale value. I don’t do the “catch and release” dance. Today’s buys are tomorrow’s classics, IMO.
It took me a while to decide to spend the money on Shiros. I’m not going to argue that any of my knives are a good value, since non-knife enthusiasts think I’m crazy for spending more than $50 on any knife. I do think the Shiros I have compare favorably to some more expensive custom knives I’ve handled, especially in quality of construction. That’s also true of my less expensive Specter and Arius.

Most people I know wouldn’t consider spending the money for a SpydieChef or a Boos Blades Smoke, but they both appeal to me more than many pricier knives, as unique, functional designs executed well.

Any knife is overpriced if no one will buy it, but many popular knives are hard to come by and have a line of prospective buyers. I think price inflation on the secondary market colors our opinions considerably, and makers shouldn’t be lured into raising their prices on that basis. The bubble can burst, and they’ll find it hard to lower prices once they’ve raised them.

Not to you personally, RBid, but to the forum: Don’t buy anything you don’t really like and want to keep. Then you won’t worry about bursting bubbles.

I only buy knives I plan to keep, once in a while it doesn’t float my boat as I expect then and only then will it go. My Shiro? I love that thing and it’s bit going anywhere and I plan to aquire more after a few other knives I want but there are sooooo many to choose from:eek:

Back