Shootout. CZ Versus Ruger

cliff355 said:
Interesting point. According to Websters, it is one of many units of measure based on the length of a human step. In MN it is usually one step, but possibly two in Missouri.

A couple of very observant and elderly ladies gave me the tour of the James farm and noticed my MN plates immediately. They asked where I was from, which at the time happened to be Northfield, MN. Frank tried shooting the place up with limited success during his career and they were very familiar with the story. I was able to confirm for them that the bullet holes in the old bank building are still there and circled in black paint. The James farm is well worth a visit if you are ever down that way IMHO - very good exhibit.

"It started long before in the bloody civil war- and the legend still remains. Of the yankees on the run and the glory and the guns of the rebel brothers Frank and Jesse James. Jesse had a wife to mourn for his life. 3 children they were brave. But Bob Ford's pistol ball nailed old Jessie to the wall and they laid Jesse James in his grave."

Cliff in college in Forestry they told us to calibrate our pace for rough estimates and they told us a pace was 2 steps. That's where I got it.:thumbup:

When I'm marking off distance, I reckon one deliberate stride as about 36 inches. Good enough for government work.

other definitions:

pace1 (pās)
n.
A step made in walking; a stride.
A unit of length equal to 30 inches (0.76 meter).
The distance spanned by a step or stride, especially:
The modern version of the Roman pace, measuring five English feet. Also called geometric pace.
Thirty inches at quick marching time or 36 at double time.
Five Roman feet or 58.1 English inches, measured from the point at which the heel of one foot is raised to the point at which it is set down again after an intervening step by the other foot.

The rate of speed at which a person, animal, or group walks or runs.
The rate of speed at which an activity or movement proceeds.
A manner of walking or running: a jaunty pace.
A gait of a horse in which both feet on one side are lifted and put down together.

everybody is correct.

I think I am getting the hang of the Blackhawk more. I shot 50 yesterday and 50 today and the last 24 were all on the paper offhand at 25 yards and quite a few in the black:thumbup:

One aspect is the trigger seems to be breaking in a bit now, but the other is I am pressing the grip against my palm with my middle and ring finger instead of the maximum grip being at the top or the bottom. This, for some reason keeps the barrel from wavering as much when the trigger is pulled and allows me to seemingly follow thru better, although it's hard to judge because of the muzzle flash:eek:

I have a Ruger M77 KmkII .223 and with 55gr FMJ I can dump five rounds into 2in at 100yds :thumbup: good enough to hunt.

I'm going to put A Flash hider/front sight from a mini-30 and one of those clip on rear jobs+a teflon finish in two months.

An IOR-Valdada 4X24 M1 scope with some quick-detach rings will follow this summer.

I have a Ruger Blackhawk 45LC and its my favorite field gun. Careful polishing and letting the left leg of the trigger spring drop loose makes it shoot like a champ. CZ makes a fine pistol. Mine is the 75B and I use it for CCW with no mods.

Well,

Somebody on thehighroad.org suggested a low grip with the pinkie under the butt. Munk suggested modifying the grip. I tried both. It really helped. I shot this this evening right before dark at 25y offhand. I think the trigger is breaking in a bit too. Not light but there's no gritty or chalky feel anymore. Out of 3 cylinders all but one was out the paper. There's one down low not in the pic but the rest are grouped much better thanks to the good folks at the INTERNET:thumbup:

rugbh.jpg

Hollow, you can dry fire your Ruger safely. Back in the days when I had single action at hand most of the time- (when I lived in Ca and wandered the desert, working in the gun shop) I used to watch the Nightly News and er...eliminate spokepeople I felt were not being honest. I don't think I'd do this around my sons today, but practising trigger control while watching TV helped me a lot. I'll leave it to your imaginations which News Comentators recieved the most lead.....

Dry firing a primary weapon is a very useful thing to do. You can cure flinches doing this. You can see which direction you're pulling the arm after pulling the trigger, if any.

munk

munk said:
Hollow, you can dry fire your Ruger safely. Back in the days when I had single action at hand most of the time- (when I lived in Ca and wandered the desert, working in the gun shop) I used to watch the Nightly News and er...eliminate spokepeople I felt were not being honest. I don't think I'd do this around my sons today, but practising trigger control while watching TV helped me a lot. I'll leave it to your imaginations which News Comentators recieved the most lead.....

Dry firing a primary weapon is a very useful thing to do. You can cure flinches doing this. You can see which direction you're pulling the arm after pulling the trigger, if any.
munk

Munk I was always taught not to click for the same reason you won't do it round your kids.

However I was loading 4 irregularly and then spinning the cylinder to check. Seems for some reason the hold I had was pulling the muzzle UP when I pulled the trigger. The pinkie under seemed to cure this.:thumbup:

I think the slimmer grips helped too. This evening was my first test. Here's one I shot this weekend before the new grips. We had been shooting the Ruger Mark 1 and little Taurus pump and my arms were kinda tired but still cut quite a few together. I was holding the top of the sight on the bottom of the orange ball so apparently when I can hold it pretty steady it seems to be shooting pretty well.

bh1.jpg

hollowdweller said:
Maybe, but I sense too much movement when I pull the trigger, but I just can't figure the grip I need to keep it from moving then.

Where are you holding the tightest on your blackhawks? What part of the finger are you putting on the trigger?

My CZ52 will not shoot right unless I hold high and tight on the grip but I seem unable to figure the best grip for the blackhawk.:thumbdn:

from my limited experience Pachmeyers make a difference . Maybe your hand can,t find the right grip cause its not the right grip for your hand . Honestly I pay alot of attention to grips cause I have small hands . If you can find a web ridge you might find it easier to get a positive feeling . To me there is nothing worse than squirming my hand around trying to get that same sweet spot ,

Its not how good your groups are . Its how cool you are under fire . I,ve had a sawed off pointed at me and I found it very disconcerting . I don,t know how well I could have aimed . And thats with it not going boom either !
I tried shooting an F:N:C:1 on a range without minimal ear protection . You don,t aim half as good when things are going boom in your ears . I guess you,d get better with practice .

pace1 (pās)
n.
A step made in walking; a stride.
A unit of length equal to 30 inches (0.76 meter).
The distance spanned by a step or stride, especially:
The modern version of the Roman pace, measuring five English feet. Also called geometric pace.
Thirty inches at quick marching time or 36 at double time.
Five Roman feet or 58.1 English inches, measured from the point at which the heel of one foot is raised to the point at which it is set down again after an intervening step by the other foot.

The rate of speed at which a person, animal, or group walks or runs.
The rate of speed at which an activity or movement proceeds.
A manner of walking or running: a jaunty pace.
A gait of a horse in which both feet on one side are lifted and put down together.

everybody is correct.[/QUOTE]

REPLY : I thought Pace was Salsa ? L:O:L

cliff355 said:
You can shoot at 21 feet too, and just try to keep them in the same hole. If they all go through one hole, they will be in the 10-ring at 25 yards and in the black at 50 yards. The shorter distance just makes changing targets easier, and you can see results without using a scope.

Those are pretty respectable targets though. 88-3/x for your high 10 on the first one. Blackhawks are probably one of the world's most accurate repeating handguns out of a Ransom Rest, but that big hammer and long arc make them a challange when shooting bullseyes.

Thanks Cliff! I have no idea what's good cause I seldom see other folks targets(other than my wife's and friends) and I usually don't see any on the internet, or the ones are always shot from a rest. However reason I kinda got back into a lot of recreational shooting for a while is I winged a few deer a few years ago and felt I was losing my ability to shoot well offhand.

Those are 25 yard targets so I try to shoot at them at 25 y. I have some blaze orange ones too that are easier to shoot at with white painted sights and they are real easy to shoot at when it is low light, you can really see where you are hitting. I can usually tell even with the black ones as long as I hit the white rings or the center some.

BruiseLeee said:
We should write up a shootout ourselves.

Shootout: Big Rocks vs. Little Rocks

:) :rolleyes: ;)
And when we get real good, we can graduate to paper and scissors.

Back