Shop addition: New Grinder

The one thing that I always find myself wanting for mine is the small wheel attachment and a variety of small wheels to go with it. I went with a 3" and 8" on my multi platen and while it covers most of what I do, it is amazing how much I could use a smaller contact wheel. I would also like to get a big contact wheel a 14" contact wheel for hollow grinds, but I don't think I have the clearance on my bench for it without lowering my bench and putting a riser under the grinder:(

It looks like you only need a 2 or 3" wheel for the other side of the multi platen. You can get it from a variety of places like USA. And I think you will want that 6" wheel on the other end of the platen. Small wheel on small side big wheel on bigger radius side.

Looking good, cant wait to see it finished.

Thanks for the reply. I just ordered a 2" wheel. In the meantime, I see that I can operate the grinder without it, so I don't HAVE to wait for it to arrive.

I set my platen up with an 01 Hardened platen and a 2" and 4" wheel. This combination is very useful and allows flat grinding, slack grinding and the size of wheels really come in handy.

I bought a 3/4" bader wheel from trugrit and then made a holder for it. This is great for the small radius work. Making the small wheel holder is very easy and will save you some $$.

I set my platen up with an 01 Hardened platen and a 2" and 4" wheel. This combination is very useful and allows flat grinding, slack grinding and the size of wheels really come in handy.

I bought a 3/4" bader wheel from trugrit and then made a holder for it. This is great for the small radius work. Making the small wheel holder is very easy and will save you some $$.

Thanks for the tip. At this point I'm going to stop ordering and fabricating parts until I'm sure I have the basics correct (i.e. a system that tracks properly and has enough power to remove a bit of metal). Once that is done, the sky is the limit.

Can you share a picture of your small wheel holder, AVigil?

Here you go. I chose the Bader wheel because you only have to drill a small hole for the shaft unlike the others that use the bearings for attachment.

candicecamera024.jpg

candicecamera025.jpg

Yesterday I sanded the platens and applied paint to one side. I also painted some of the other sanded parts. Today I painted the other side of the platens. Also, I received the tooling arm today. As soon as the belts arrive I'll be able to verify functionality and tracking.

Today I also went shopping at Sears and decided to buy a work bench there instead of a scaffold. I'll pick up the work bench tomorrow, most likely.

Here you go. I chose the Bader wheel because you only have to drill a small hole for the shaft unlike the others that use the bearings for attachment.

Thanks for sharing, Avigil! Where did you get that wheel?

Greg, I look forward to seeing your finished grinder! It is going to change your knife-making world!

The belts came today so I am able to show a more or less complete variation.

Grinder.JPG

It is not yet adjusted to track properly, so I can't fire it up yet.

Thanks for sharing, Avigil! Where did you get that wheel?

Greg, I look forward to seeing your finished grinder! It is going to change your knife-making world!

I got it from Trugrit they carry a bunch of sizes. They even sell the fork holder for wheel if you need to buy one. But making one is very easy.

When you order be sure to clarify which wheel style you want. They sell both Bader and the other kind with the bearings on the outside.

Greg,

I noticed you have little knobs for holding the tooling arms. I was using a bolt that fit for a while. I punched out the holes on the side plates and re-tapped. The bigger knobs are really nice and make it easier to tighten and I think a little more secure.

I found knobs like this at my local Rockler: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25167

Last edited:
No telling, Ted. Depends on when I get the wheels aligned. Maybe .... June. :)

To get you going, get a flat bar or level and lay it on the side of your drive wheel and then place it on the contact wheel and adjust from there.

That's pretty much what I did, and then adjusted a little bit. It's still not 100%, but it's pretty much there. It only took about 1/2 an hour to get it usable.

The grinder operated in a 3 wheel mode without throwing the belt today, so I cast my first few sparks. I'm not saying the alignment is done, just that the grinder is somewhat usable now. More later.

Very cool! Congrats, Greg! It didn't take very long to straighten out my tracking after the belt stayed on. Shouldn't that big of a deal to get done.

Now lets see some knives!

Back