Shopping For a CRK Folder

Tanto Zaan FTW..

WXvOerk.jpg

I have 14 CRK folders. More Sebenzas than Inkosis, and only 1 Umnumzaan. For classy, go Sebenza. For beefy or substantial, Inkosi. It has the thickest blade stock of the 3, and with micarta inlays, fills the hand insanely well, while also riding nicely in pockets. The Umnumzaan is the slickest of the 3 for me, but I don't find it the most substantial. And it has more hot spots than the others. I don't dislike it, and have no plans to sell, but it rarely gets pocket time because my Sebenzas and Inkosis are preferred. That said, I'd cut through a car door with any of them with confidence.

59XXnmD.jpeg
2qEayIQ.jpeg
IMO even the larges are not that large
The Umnumzaan may be the more substantial but it is more due to the handle shape than to the actual length of the knife which is similar to the large Inkosi and to the large sebenza

If you look for a substantial folder with a CRK-like feel you can look at the Spartan SHF

Last edited:
I didn't like the large 21, so I haven't bothered trying the large 31. I'm still trying to like the 'zaan, though it spends much more time out of my pocket than in...it might take a year or two, at this rate; but I think it might happen.
I sorta like the large inkosi (micarta insingo). I'd say I like it; but it's difficult to say that & have to acknowledge that I probably only pocket it once every two or three years. Right now, though, it's still my favorite of the three 😁

Since the OP specified large-ish, I won't mention that my favorite CRK is my small WC insingo (carrying it now), and my second favorite will probably end up being my small polished 31 box elder.

I find the Large Inkosi to be one of the best production knives ever made. I prefer it to my 21 and 31 sebenza and have yet to find a scenario where I would have preferred a different knife for the job. Mine is micarta but I’m sure a PJ would be just as good or better.

Wow . . .Thank you everyone.

i am not a "fan-boy" and so, didn't really know what the CRK folders even looked like. The unimanzan does seem hefty, but the blade profile is visually jarring to me. I much prefer a drop point.

I will be looking art the Sebenzas for that reason. I don't quite get the distinction between the Sebenza 21 and the 31. Am I eeing slightly different blade shapes?

The 3 blade shapes the 21 was made with

Drop Point
Insingo
Tanto

are all available in the 31.

The only Visual cues the average person will notice between the two are

Inlays- one piece on the 31 as opposed to two on the 21

Fixture-ing hole - On the show side of the P-21 CRK utilized a hole on the scale to ease manufacturing. It became an enduring part of the design and legacy. Its missing on the 31

Clip- its crooked on the the 31. it was correct for 31 years but suddenly needed moved...

Don't let any of things bother you, there will be a dude along soon to tell you his is perfect.

Good luck with your search and here's a picture of all the production Sebenzas for your research purposes. Well that and I need every excuse to show them off after the money my wife doesn't know I spent putting this collection together!!!!

Last edited:
Wow . . .Thank you everyone.

i am not a "fan-boy" and so, didn't really know what the CRK folders even looked like. The unimanzan does seem hefty, but the blade profile is visually jarring to me. I much prefer a drop point.

I will be looking art the Sebenzas for that reason. I don't quite get the distinction between the Sebenza 21 and the 31. Am I eeing slightly different blade shapes?
Many of us who have been around a long time have a preference for some of the older Sebenza versions. There are many varied reasons for this, but I would not worry about it for now. As a first time sebenza owner, I’d suggest buying either a new or nearly new 31 that appeals to you and try it out. They are pretty available and the price is stable right now. Once you have it in hand, use it! Give it time, break it in (give it time!) and see what all the fuss is about.

Don’t forget to come back and tell us what you think.

Good luck.

The 3 blade shapes the 21 was made with

Drop Point
Insingo
Tanto

are all available in the 31.

The only Visual cues the average person will notice between the two are

Inlays- one piece on the 31 as opposed to two on the 21

Fixture-ing hole - On the show side of the P-21 CRK utilized a hole on the scale to ease manufacturing. It became an enduring part of the design and legacy. Its missing on the 31

Clip- its crooked on the the 31. it was correct for 31 years but suddenly needed moved...

Don't let any of things bother you, there will be a dude along soon to tell you his is perfect.

Good luck with your search and here's a picture of all the production Sebenzas for your research purposes. Well that and I need every excuse to show them off after the money my wife doesn't know I spent putting this collection together!!!!

My 31 is perfect.

Small 31 was my first crk I didn’t have anything to compare it to so it was awesome as my collection grew it broke in and was always comparable To be honest I had a 21 that was a little loose and I had to keep it full of grease this was all before the regular and classics w solid washers The old ones are built better imho(it should be a fact if it isn’t) everyone is going to have their own opinion just like their own a****le which is fine

I would highly recommend the Wilson Combat Large Inkosi Drop Point! One of the best CRKs ever made in my opinion.

I would highly recommend the Wilson Combat Large Inkosi Drop Point! One of the best CRKs ever made in my opinion.
It's an Inkosi with some milling. They are discontinued and sell at 2-3 times the retail price in today's market. Id buy a PJ Inkosi and a L Sebenza and go to dinner with the rest.

And before you start in...Ive bought, owned and sold 3. It's just not even close to worth the money.

It's an Inkosi with some milling. They are discontinued and sell at 2-3 times the retail price in today's market. Id buy a PJ Inkosi and a L Sebenza and go to dinner with the rest.

And before you start in...Ive bought, owned and sold 3. It's just not even close to worth the money.
I’d rather have a WC Large Inkosi than 2 regular large models and dinner. I still think it’s one of the best CRKs ever made and would still highly recommend it even at $900-$1000… even after your extremely compelling argument.

I’d rather have a WC Large Inkosi than 2 regular large models and dinner. I still think it’s one of the best CRKs ever made and would still highly recommend it even at $900-$1000… even after your extremely compelling argument.
I agree on the Inkosi part for sure. I enjoyed the WC but just no enough to put it that far ahead of a PJ. That of course is s very subjective opinion.

I never understood the fascination. Same with the other one with the straight lines. Prometheus or whatever it's called. They are cool, for sure, but not any more so than a plain.

Back