Shot show pics of BM stuff

Oh my, I just caught wood ! those are some sweet ladies.....RDT

Nybble, I might be wrong, it's not easy to make out from the pic if it is a two piece design. But the sandwich construction could be easier to put the magnetic latch mechanism in during assembly.

Hey Clay - thanks for telling me to check out this post! Wow! Benchmade does it again!!! Damn......there goes my "mad money" for the next year.........

Bob

Hot damn. Those are some beautiful designs! And if that 3"er really has no tang pin and a magnetic latch...Those are some really nice ideas. :eek: I'm VERY excited about these!

Oh momma! I gotta have one of those 'tang pinless''magnetic' 3" bad boys!
I love the style of the handles... mainly the silver one :) WOW!
Benchmade... You gatta come out with these!

Shrubba

.......another expensive year! :( ;) :D

Hats off to Benchmade and their creative genuis!!!!!

Originally posted by tonyccw
Anyone one else besides me getting VERY VERY excited at the 3"? Not only for the magnetic latch, but also for the complete lack of a tang pin?

I suspect the pinched waist of the tang and the two extra pins behind the pivot are acting as the tang pin. Very much like the idea mentioned a while back as a replacement for the ever hard to maintain tang pin. NEED MORE INFO. PLEASE!!!!!

Prehaps the perfect tang pin, is no tang pin at all... :eek:

yes I love that tang pin design. I've complained numerous times about the problem of the new tang pins getting crushed (in fact my 43 is so bad that the handles touch) so this seems like a ingenius solution. With Ti handles an a conventional steel pin it is inevitable that it will get impacted and need flattening or replacing but I can see this lasting a long while. Please please please let this go into production I'll buy three.

Impressive. Benchmade really loves us guys. They're pushing the envelope with the 3". I do think no tang pin is the best tang pin, if that design holds up to EDC stresses. Has anyone had any hands on time with that magnetic latch? I bet my bottom dollar Gollnick has had these for quite some time now (read blue boxes). If so how does it work and does it work well.

God, I'm so giddy.:p

yes I will agree with Agent and bet that these two neew beauties are exactly what is in those blue boxes.

Keep in mind, folks, that these are all PROTOTYPES.

That means that the actual product that ends up being available for you to purchase may not be exactly like what you see here. The final handle configuration and the blade profile for the magnetic latched piece, particularly, has not been worked out.

Being a prototype also means that they're quite some time away from being actually available for purchase.

When a company shows a prototype, there is no guarantee that that exact knife will EVER be available for purchase.

Now, with that said, I gotta tell you that this magnetic latch is something completely new. Obviously, there are some classic manipulations that can't be done with it. Just getting it open initially is a new technique (I prefer to press the horn). But, I do think that as some of our creative artists get ahold of these, there'll be some cool new tricks come out. I've already got a few interesting ideas myself...

Originally posted by Gollnick
Keep in mind, folks, that these are all PROTOTYPES.
When a company shows a prototype, there is no guarantee that that exact knife will EVER be available for purchase.
Understood. But let's not let BM forget our excitement. It's feedback of this nature that helps convince a company to move a product from "Prototype" to Production. Time to write BM and tell them how we feel. Excercise your consumer powers. Who knows, they might be listening after all.
Now, with that said, I gotta tell you that this magnetic latch is something completely new. Just getting it open initially is a new technique (I prefer to press the horn).
Interesting. You are able to open the handles by pressing down on the horns. Which means the magents aren't all that strong if you can leverage them open from the weak end of the fulcrum. Obviously they are strong enough to keep the handles closed until pressure is exerted upon them. Can't help wondering how the magnetism will come into play when you really don't want the handles together but they just keep attracting each other. And, what is Spyderco going to do now that BM was the first to show a working magnetic latch system....

Still, maganets means no latches. No latches means it's latchless. And latchless is good.

Whoa, those are some exciting looking knives!
I really like that spearpoint... I think that's the first BM spearpoint I've ever seen. No, wait, I've seen customs... ;)

Finally, a magnetic latch system. I've been thinking about this myself for some time, 'how come there's no balis with a magnet instead of a latch?', in fact, I think it's even been discussed in threads here. The anti-tang pin thingy also looks cool (time to figure out a new term on that one, then. ;)). But another thing I noticed about the 3"'er: It doesn't have a kick, and not a second tang pin... So what stops the blade from hitting the handle channel?

I can't wait to get more info about this! VERY exciting stuff! :D

I sent mine last night as soon as I saw these beauties. These are a must produce especially the no tang pin thing (kinda a Zen Pin?... what is the sound of no tang pin hitting?) I just love it.

Ix...I think the stoping pins on the Zen Pin also serve as a double kick fitting into the recesses below the edge.

Chuck since you've probably heald these :) is the spearpoint 4X size live on both edges? And is that a pocket clipped 42 int he background or a 31?

mike

Originally posted by madscientist
Chuck since you've probably heald these :) is the spearpoint 4X size live on both edges? And is that a pocket clipped 42 int he background or a 31?

mike

If you take a look at the counter-sunk holes...they are much more pronounced. It seems to me to be a BM31. The holes of the Ti 4x line are much more subtle.

Yes, I've handled all of these.

That is a 31 in the background.

The spearpoint will be single-edged, though the spine is thin enough that sharpening it won't be to difficult.

As for my comments about them being prototypes, I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't give our friends at BM your thoughts. But, just keep in mind that what finally does come to market may not be exactly what you see here. Prototypes are about concepts, not about details. You can be sure that what BM does finally offer will be great. So, look at the concepts, don't fall in love with any one specific detail.

Last I heard Sal Glesser had ruled out a magnetic latch because someone else owned the patent on it. Who, I don't know, though it may not be BM.

I was just trying to take a closer look at those pics, and I can't tell if the spearpoint has a regular tang pin, or a zen pin (what's a 'zen' pin anyway? :p)... Can anybody help me?

And to Chuck: I bet all the BM49SPL protos I have that you are sitting on a lot of information about these great news. Mind sharing? :D

Back