Should I buy a Tai Pan?

Should I buy a Tai Pan?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Although I do not own a Tai Pan, the only thing that would keep me from buying one is... the Kraton(ish) handle material. I do have some Cold Steel, Kizlyar, Kabar, Ontario, and probably some other brand knives with such handle materials, but... their cost to me were each under the $100 mark. Once the price of a knife is over $100, I don't want Kraton(ish) handle materials on my knives.
Just a personal preference 😊
Kraton type rubbery nibbed handles are not the best for many uses , but they are very appropriate for the extreme uses that some CS fighting , combat / survival models are designed for .

For normal , clean dry , moderate temperature the grip is unnecessarily rough and abrasive with long hard use and no gloves .

In extreme adverse conditions of cold , wet , blood and guts , fats , grease ,etc . , That same handle will be secure to hold while most others will slip .

yep, and its a beautiful knife. except the secure ex sheath...deserves leather......
I actually don't mind the secure X sheaths , mostly .

Leather is classier and easier on the blade , for indoors or dry climates maybe, but I hate them for exposure longterm in wet environments .

I don't often , these days , actually carry fixed blades , but when I want to CC one , I want minimal bulk and maximum concealment .

So just a stripped down sheath for sash / southern comfort or stuck IWB . A bit of red self fusing silicone tap to improve retention and help hold the sheath in place .

Last edited:
What do you get when you cross a Taipan with a Smatchet? A Shanghai Shadow!
5vfqgi.jpg

Last edited:
I love my sanmai Taipan. Probably never need it, but who cares. Also, if you are generally a collector nut like I am, I have found that:
+ knives tend to take up less space than other things (Jerry Seinfeld's hangar for his Porsche collection for example)
+ often retain a good resale value (especially for knives that may go out of production)
+ less liability than guns
+ are just cool

I love my sanmai Taipan. Probably never need it, but who cares. Also, if you are generally a collector nut like I am, I have found that:
+ knives tend to take up less space than other things (Jerry Seinfeld's hangar for his Porsche collection for example)
+ often retain a good resale value (especially for knives that may go out of production)
+ less liability than guns
+ are just cool
And you can tailor your collecting to your pocketbook, to a degree anyway. Although I am still amazed that a knife can cost as much or more than a nice gun.

for a user im not a fan as I have zero need for a double edge knife this size....but.....

its a personal favorite for a collector knife that I don't use. course i have one. considered adding another while the prices were real low here state side......but I passed since one i have, never gets used only looked at.
The Tai Pan is the best factory dagger I have ever come across. It's also one of the few daggers that can actually cut fairly well.

The only problem is the garbage "sheath" it comes with, but there are numerous sources for aftermarket sheaths.
You must be talking about the newer production models as mine has beautiful leather sheath. Mine is Japanese made model I bought off eBay. It’s an older model as the new ones are made in Taiwan.

I hesitated on getting one because the country of origin had switched from Japan to Taiwan, and that maybe it's quality would be much lower.
Well, the fit and finish easily compares well to my Japan made San Mai Trail Master. Also, the VG-1 San Mai was the material used for the Tai Pan made in Japan specimens, while the Tai Pan made in Taiwan is made out of the VG-10, which I believe is made as a superior steel over the VG-1.

As for the newer models having the polymer sheaths, that too would still have been the case if Cold Steel would have kept the Tai Pan being made in Japan. The leather sheaths going DoDo Bird was very likely a way to keep the costs down across the board on their knives, and so they went with less expensive sheaths on all of their knives.

Again, the Tai Pans made in Taiwan have a great f&f, they have the upgraded San Mai steel, and are less pricey than getting a Japan made version. Too bad the leather sheath is not at least offered by CS as an option.

I hesitated on getting one because the country of origin had switched from Japan to Taiwan, and that maybe it's quality would be much lower.
Well, the fit and finish easily compares well to my Japan made San Mai Trail Master. Also, the VG-1 San Mai was the material used for the Tai Pan made in Japan specimens, while the Tai Pan made in Taiwan is made out of the VG-10, which I believe is made as a superior steel over the VG-1.
I believe the many discussions I have seen regarding VG1 and VG10 haven't really determined a definitive "superority.
But it is a fact that VG10 became more widespread in use and there's no harm in considering it an upgrade if you leave out
any HT consideration.
Still, good to hear that the Taiwan made Tai Pan has good F&F.

Last edited:
I´ve just bought online at the second-hand market a Tai Pan in the old Japanese version with leather sheath. VG1 San Mai. Mint condition in its box. Never used. It should arrive in about a week. I'm worried that something will go wrong! I will upload photos when it arrives.

I´ve just bought online at the second-hand market a Tai Pan in the old Japanese version with leather sheath. VG1 San Mai. Mint condition in its box. Never used. It should arrive in about a week. I'm worried that something will go wrong! I will upload photos when it arrives.

Congrats! Looking forward for the pics! :)

You must be talking about the newer production models as mine has beautiful leather sheath. Mine is Japanese made model I bought off eBay. It’s an older model as the new ones are made in Taiwan.

Yeah, the new Taiwan made models come with a horrible Secure-Ex sheath.

Back