Shouldn't every Friday be "Black Friday"

redsparrow

Gold Member
z0PzJsv.jpg

Grandpa Peter's and Grandma Betty's

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
For everyone that doesn't or didn't know exactly what Black Friday is ~ Interesting Truths "Un-stretched and Un-Twisted" ~ when I seen the title ~ I went and pulled this up ~ it is just the way I am...……….when I here certain terminology or words or coinage being used for any given thing I like to learn EXACTLY what it meant where it derived from and their TRUE Meanings......it has been a habit of mine for the past 25 Years ~ So here it is ~

The term “Black Friday” (in the retail sense) was coined in the 1960s to mark the kickoff to the Christmas shopping season. “Black” refers to stores moving from the “red” to the “black,” back when accounting records were kept by hand, and red ink indicated a loss, and black a profit.

The name was first recorded in 1966 by Earl Apfelbaum, a dealer in rare stamps. In his ad, he said, "'Black Friday' is the name that the Philadelphia Police Department gave to the Friday following Thanksgiving Day. It is not a term of endearment for them.

In 1966, the Black Friday name became famous in print. That's when a story appeared in an ad in The American Philatelist, a stamp collectors' magazine. The Philadelphia Police Department used the name to describe the traffic jams and crowding in the downtown stores.

I never knew it until this morning ~ But I have heard and seen the word a Hundred Times ~

Last edited:

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Thanks to a tip from @DavidZ I just got this Kershaw in today and it's nicely done and will take the place of my Maserin for my watch pocket carry.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

I do have a bit of an OCD thing, (besides that not being in alphabetical order that is) but I do drink a lot of water/propel and when I remove the cap, I will go and whittle off the little nubs, yeah I know, I need help ;)

Thanks again Dave, good call
G2