Show off you sub-hilt fighters!

I'm interested in pics of large sub-hilt fixed blades (I really like the looks of those knives), does anybody want to post some?

One of my all time favorites.............need to make a couple for Blade!

subhiltcombat.JPG

Well, I don't own any, but I here are a couple of pictures anyway:

This one I really like - it's by Dan Farr. For some reason the subhilt does not seem to be a staple of the forged-blade maker. This is an awfully nice exception. (pic from www.nordicknives.com)

standard.jpg

And here's another by South African maker Rob Brown. Very clean work. (pic from www.robbrownknives.com)

standard.jpg

I know my buddy Coop has one of the most gorgeous sub-hilts (heck, one of the most gorgeous knives) I've ever seen - hopefully he'll post some pics of that baby.

Cheers,

Roger

one of my favorite fighter designs. Tom, that is very nice, how about a TNT sub-hilt, NY Special? I'm in!!

Tried a picture, no luck.

Win

This is old hat to some, but always an eye pleaser :) :

orig.jpg

And this isn't a fighter, really. It's a Boar hunter:

orig.jpg

But I think the boar would be fightin' mad!

(Roger's right, I couldn't resist! ;))

Coop

I WISH I owned this one by Sean McWilliams.

EDIT: Photo didn't work.....oh well......

Tom,
you definitely need to make a couple for BLADE, and definitely one with my name on it!

Awesome pics so far. Thanks guys, keep 'em comin'! :)

That Hajovski tanto looks pretty unusual (and cool).

well, lets try a few using iupload and see how long they last

Doug%20Casteel%20NL%200216%20jade%20fighter.JPG

this is a jade handled sub-hilt by Doug Casteel. Very large knife meant for display.

Doug%20Casteel%20NL%200211%20display%20fighter.JPG

this was an early display of the knife. Will have to do another as it is slightly changed with another great knife having been added.

the next one is by Roger Hatt of Canada--the spacer material is sugalite

Roger%20Hatt%20%20FL%202745%20subhilt%20fill%20lt.JPG

and the last is by Schuyler Lovestrand with wonderful matching mammoth ivory scales.

hmmm. iupload shows file exists but for some reason it will not show in BF. not sure if they have a limitation or what.

Schuyler%20Lovestrand%20FL%200631%20silver%202%20subhilt.JPG

these have all been shown in BF since their purchase in 2002 but still are fun to have and look at I hope.

Ahhhhh! They are all so great. Thanks for the prompting!

Coop

#### Murray: Your link has a space before 'Schuyler'. I removed it and pasted it, and it works.

I like how sub-hilt's look, but is there a functional theory behind them (i.e. why not just use choils)?

from my collection. The top one is a Loveless style fighter by Ricardo Velarde, the next is a rare one by W.D Pease, last is a Hideout by Ricardo. Stag Rocks!!

Win

Damn no picture, this sucks!!

standard.jpg[\img]

Hey Guys,

Gaben,

If I recall correctly, the subhilt is there to assist in getting the knife un-stuck from wherever it was you stuck it. i.e. - you can pull back on the subhilt to get it out.

Win, here's your pic:

standard.jpg

Nice knives!! (you just had the wrong backslash in the ending "img" tag)

Cheers,

Roger

My fav' are the Mayo, Broadwell, Brown, and most of all Hudson. Wow, great knives!

Back